Author Topic: I love the Pony... but...  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Re: I love the Pony... but...
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2009, 05:57:18 PM »
I don't like to take the HO, don't get me wrong, but i won't lie and say i've never taken a HO shot either.

What i meant basically was, if i'm pinned down by a BnZ guy that knows what he's doing, he'll never let me get a good shot on him. If i can time the attacks right, he'll never get guns on me either though, and the situation will never end.  

I've augured purposely, or just put it on autolevel and let the guy get the kill because after the 5th pass i was getting bored.  

I think one of the last times i flew, it was the pony and i got into a good 2v1 fight verse a spit16 and another pony on the deck.

A good stick wont let it go that long. 5 Passes is about 3 too many for one kill. And on the third, if im the low guy, I know that the guy in the pony doesnt know how to shoot or fly or both. At that point I give him a shot he cannot resist, but one that I know he'll never make, or have very little chance of making and drain all the E out of him while he's going for it. It may not give you a shot right away but atleast it will help to level the feild out.

Maybe its me, but I can't let guys like this just kill me without a fight. Its a lame way to fly/fight (pass after pass after pass) and I for one know the pony is fully capable of something other than just BnZ. Guys who fly them as such need to learn the other way or die not knowing.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2009, 09:20:42 AM »
Bored?  How could you be bored?

You're basically set up with an opportunity to totally "own" your opponent!  What better way than to survive his attacks from a severely disadvantaged state, turn the tables on him, and send him back to the tower???

IMO, those are often some of the best fights in the game!

Agreed, except that it's rare that you'll get the guy to commit to a fight once his advantage is lost.  I love it when i'm able to get the BnZ guy to continue to fight once he's off his perch, and i'll always <S> the guy win or lose.

- Morpheus- A good stick wont let it go that long. 5 Passes is about 3 too many for one kill. And on the third, if im the low guy, I know that the guy in the pony doesnt know how to shoot or fly or both. At that point I give him a shot he cannot resist, but one that I know he'll never make, or have very little chance of making and drain all the E out of him while he's going for it. It may not give you a shot right away but atleast it will help to level the feild out.

I'm not even sure what a good stick is anymore, the guy ranked 1, or the guy that ranks 3456  but gives everyone a good fight. What usually happens is that the BnZ guy sees he's losing his advantage, dives to the deck at 400mph and flies a half sector away.  You'll  see another con, engage, get into a great fight, and see the running man coming back in for the pick.

Just to make myself clear, i'm talking about a 1v1 situation, not a furball, or where the BnZ guy is outnumbered.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2009, 09:25:16 AM »
Its a lame way to fly/fight (pass after pass after pass) and I for one know the pony is fully capable of something other than just BnZ. Guys who fly them as such need to learn the other way or die not knowing.

This is all you see anymore,,,,,  ZOOM ZOOM MISS,,,,,,,,, ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM MISS,  ZOOM ZOOM RUN    :lol 

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2009, 10:08:15 AM »
Bored?  How could you be bored?

You're basically set up with an opportunity to totally "own" your opponent!  What better way than to survive his attacks from a severely disadvantaged state, turn the tables on him, and send him back to the tower???

IMO, those are often some of the best fights in the game!

Amen! To that! I always consider my disadvantage as an advantage.  :aok
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2009, 12:50:22 PM »
I used to fly a Pony when I was young too.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2009, 12:54:08 PM »
I used to fly a Pony when I was young too.

ya, now all he does is horde !     :rofl

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »
ya, now all he does is horde !     :rofl

Heheh, he probably had a hard time getting kills in it, switched to a roundy round plane.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2009, 03:51:54 PM »
I know how ludicrous this sounds but.... you could actually try fighting with it.

Just blabbin in any general direction,....and I have two brain cells that choose to communicate today,...

Ya know,. I'm totally burnt out on the P-51 runner stufff. It's a cop-out for lacking skills to do anything but TnB. Your not suppose to give him an opportunity to run. The first thing a BnZ plane should be doing is looking for a break to extend,... anyone who denys that has no clue what they are talking about.

I'd like to see a 109K do something besides a rope and a snap turn. Every time I see a 109 it's attempting a rope. Can the plane do anything else?  <runs>

A ""Vet"" in a Spit16 (for perks) makes me cry. Same people will be in here whining about runners. What is the difference what you do to get\keep perks, run or fly a uber plane> Same fixation, different method?

If someone doesn't turn and burn giving the enema prime advantage he's a runner. That's just kinda stick a needle in my brain and scramble it kinda stupid silly. What a lot of Vets want is someone to dump common logic as to get them to keep a BnZ plane in a TnB fight for their advantage. And if he runs he burned you on perks or something???? ROFLMAO,.... If you're not Steve, a 51 dumps a crap load of ammo to get a kill,... bingo ammo plays it's roll. I DO NOT like the P-51 guns, the plane is suppose to be superior and I just don't see it that way.

Most noobs are going to choose a spit or a 51. Steve happens to be a great 51 pile-it prolly one of the best in the game, and from what I've seen he's not totally alone, there's a few of them. But if you get out numbered a lot and are newish you want something to get away, no one takes off withthe vision of giving someone a kill. It's just common logic. At least they aren't flying a spiteen.

So for all you P-51 Runstang bellowers,.... SHUT UP!!, you bore me!. <snork!> dam whiners <hmmmp!>

Animl <looks to see if anyone is watching and runs>
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »
There are a lot of decent Pony pilots, not many on Steve's level, but I've flown against several that are outstanding.  The 6 x 50 cals on the P-51 are way more than adequate and you really should tear a plane apart in no time with very little ammo.  Hell even the 4 x 50 cals on the B model gets the job done (not so much in snapshots, of course).

A noob may chose a P-51, but he certainly won't live in it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:07:00 PM by SectorNine50 »
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »
The 6 x 50 cals on the P-51 are way more than adequate and you really should tear a plane apart in no time with very little ammo.  Hell even the 4 x 50 cals on the B model gets the job done (not so much in snapshots, of course).

A noob may chose a P-51, but he certainly won't live in it.

You are right and so is Animl, IMHO. What I mean is, the 50's are easy to get hits with but it does take some practice to become proficient in landing that fatal squeeze. It also takes discipline to hold fire until you know you are going to hit and that you are in convergence.
Newer pilots, not just noobs but guys who have only been in the game a year or two, tend to get a little over eager and fire too soon, too long, too often. This isn't "wrong" per se  but it does lead to the opinion that the .50's aren't adequate. With time and practice, anyone can be a crack shot with the .50's.  FWIW, when shooting at fighters, I almost never squeeze over 400 yards out, even on a stationary(not evading) target. I can hit well beyond 400 yards just like anyone else but I don't want to fire unless I'm going to knock a part off the plane.

Another factor  is equipment, IMHO. Cheaper joysticks can be jittery and cause nose bounce.. .etc. I realize not everyone can/wants to spend a fortune on equipment but it is my opinion that poor equipment can adversely effect the lethality of one's shots by scattering rounds

I appreciate the kind words and several people who  have come with me on  ride alongs have said they could never make the shots I make. I will say the same thing I tell them.(no offense)   Bull.  I'm not special.  I'm not more talented than anyone else. I'm not a prodigy. I don't make shots that everyone else in the game can't make too.  It just takes stick time.    :salute
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
Don't let Steve lie to you.  Those rugrats of his DO play the game. 2 on rudders, 1 on trim, 1 trigger man. Steve just moves the stick..... :noid :t
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2009, 05:31:11 PM »
I'm not even sure what a good stick is anymore, the guy ranked 1, or the guy that ranks 3456  but gives everyone a good fight. What usually happens is that the BnZ guy sees he's losing his advantage, dives to the deck at 400mph and flies a half sector away.  You'll  see another con, engage, get into a great fight, and see the running man coming back in for the pick.

Just to make myself clear, i'm talking about a 1v1 situation, not a furball, or where the BnZ guy is outnumbered.

You're so right. And its usually never the guy ranked number "1" who give a good fight in a 1v1 situation. The guy with nothing to lose (his rank) does.

It has gotten very tough to find a good 1v1 fight. Tho I dont expect it, Never had. 2v1 has always been the most fun to win. You know they're both working together to fight you. Not to take this convo away from the pony.

But most just dont realize what the pony can do slow. Either because they've never tried or are just afraid to hurt their rank. Both are sad.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2009, 02:26:25 PM »
snip.

Another factor  is equipment, IMHO. Cheaper joysticks can be jittery and cause nose bounce.. .etc. I realize not everyone can/wants to spend a fortune on equipment but it is my opinion that poor equipment can adversely effect the lethality of one's shots by scattering rounds

Snap to center sticks are a real pit fall to flight sims. I know I own one, love it, but crossing center to change a direction can be, well, challenging at times to get a line up to hold steady. Which is why I place my trigger on the throttle stick, so pulling trigger (squeezing or jerking it) doesn't effect what the yoke is doing. Right hand steers, left hand fires.

Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »
Took the 51 up some more this weekend...  I can't give up on it,  I love that crate too much.

I did more over the top direction changes to some success.  I realized my large sweeping turns were burning all my E...  So I bagged a couple kills and fell back in love with her...

Thanks for the input guys...
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »
Took the 51 up some more this weekend...  I can't give up on it,  I love that crate too much.

I did more over the top direction changes to some success.  I realized my large sweeping turns were burning all my E...  So I bagged a couple kills and fell back in love with her...

Thanks for the input guys...

large sweeping turns don't burn "E", but it does give your target time to regain his "E". You need to push the fight to make him burn MORE than you burn pushing the fight  :)