Author Topic: A hypothetical question for the crowd regarding kills landed messages...  (Read 8111 times)

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
This does have some truth to it.  I guess for me, it's just finding the appropriate balance between flying aggressively and trying to stay alive.  It's very satisfying fighting hard and then being able to bring proper closure to the sortie by landing, but I do see your point shreck.  You already understand this though since you land kills yourself, so you are just playing devil's advocate.

:aok

It can be hard work to kill a muppet. Tagging them, then them seeing on channel that you bagged them is yummy, and good for chnl 200 entertainment  :D
It just doesn't happen that often  :aok   :salute

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
It would be much more entertaning if the message listed, who you killed  :devil

I thought about mentioning this.  It was this way in AH.  Each of us have a person(s) we enjoy killing more than the average MA kill. For instance, I like killing Flyingfin. When I do, he either treats me to some amusing hate-filled text on 200 or ups a plane and comes right after me. Even when we are on the same team he treats me to occasional  snide remarks about how I am just a picker, can't fight, etc.  The guy hates me, although I don't reciprocate the sentiment.

1BDSPADE is another favorite. Every time I kill him he cries like he just lost his dog, even if he was in the process of gangbaning a squaddie of mine.  It's beautiful.

Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Yes I do, in that sense.. but I don't check the leaderboards.

Ya, sorry I was so vague originally.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
I mean that's what I was saying.  I care about competitive and that inevitably gives good score, but I don't care about the score itself, the numbers.  And that's the point argued here: IMO you can't ever see whether a good fight was had by merely looking at what score or rank or the victory channel says.  So with respect to good sportsmanship and competition, we could do away with all three. :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
I like the name in lights.  It often tells me when I shouldn't bother to continue sitting on the runway waiting for another delayed kill :) (eg. I know I just shot up "so-n-so", and then I see a landed message for so-n-so, that means I'm not going to collect a kill on that damage).

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
Agree totally. I don't however care if I get them from my fellow countrymen unless they were there and witnessed my moment of GREATNESS. :D :salute
      Bucky73  in action You're the best!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61yKkQJSZVk
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Time short and I only read to page 3 so my apologies if this was already stated.

Whether I'd them off I don't know, maybe on non squad night.

I would like to see it changed to when you land more than your average kill ratio it then maybe displays a message. Although this would lead to timid flying also similar to if the number required was raised to 5.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member

I would like to see it changed to when you land more than your average kill ratio it then maybe displays a message. Although this would lead to timid flying also similar to if the number required was raised to 5.

Good idea, I like it.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member

:uhoh

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
 Yeah uping it to 5 would be my opinion, or turn it off don't care! I do like seeing squads land together.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: A hypothetical question for the crowd regarding kills landed messages...
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2009, 06:48:46 PM »
I never had played for score nor care for anyone else that does.  For me it takes away from the fun of the game and can lead to people being obsessed with scores to do some rather shady things to acheive it. 

However, from a gameplay point of view, I don't think the system message should be upped from 2 to 5.  The 2 kill requirement for a system message is a 'carrot' for new players to try and reach for.  For a new player to see his name in lights can be a very motivating factor and something to reach for.  If it is increased to a larger number, you can possibly lessen the motivation for new players as they now see 5 kills as an impossible number to acheive or maybe push them in the direction to do shady things to get their name in lights.

I've always looked upon the 2 kill requirement as a stick and carrot sort of thing for new players.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »
I never had played for score nor care for anyone else that does.  For me it takes away from the fun of the game and can lead to people being obsessed with scores to do some rather shady things to acheive it. 

However, from a gameplay point of view, I don't think the system message should be upped from 2 to 5.  The 2 kill requirement for a system message is a 'carrot' for new players to try and reach for.  For a new player to see his name in lights can be a very motivating factor and something to reach for.  If it is increased to a larger number, you can possibly lessen the motivation for new players as they now see 5 kills as an impossible number to acheive or maybe push them in the direction to do shady things to get their name in lights.

I've always looked upon the 2 kill requirement as a stick and carrot sort of thing for new players.

ack-ack

perhaps people should be able to set a limit for themselves.. i.e. it only shows system message for  4+ or 5+ or 10+ if one wished.. anything lower would not show..
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2009, 07:45:40 PM »
perhaps people should be able to set a limit for themselves.. i.e. it only shows system message for  4+ or 5+ or 10+ if one wished.. anything lower would not show..

I kind of like that idea.  Default would still be two to encourage the newer players.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline ScottyK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »
  I say keep the minimum at 2 to get your name in lights. but add a new feature.  make the individual land at a friendly airfield and after they click :end sortie:   Give  them the choice to actually log the kills like the box that pops up before a mission.  If it doesnt match to what they actually did. the kills do not count.  This way those who worry about their kills/score can log them and have those go towards their overall rank. for those who dont will not have an overall score until they log their kills.
Childhood is over the moment you know your gonna die.  Fight not to Fail, or end up like the others.   In my crate, im the commander.

IGN: Scotty57

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
I agree...get rid of scores and your name in "lights". This game would be so much better if they did that. Too many people striving to get their name in the text buffer so other intarnit pilits can see just how "elite" they are. :rofl :rofl

It's no secret that scores are a joke. What's the point? :rolleyes:
Shaddup, you retired remember?  :lol