Author Topic: Would anyone be interested in a few gv tips?  (Read 8896 times)

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
Re: Would anyone be interested in a few gv tips?
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2009, 11:45:18 AM »
Wirbelwind tips:  2k is max distance you can get hits...if someone says different they are WRONG!  They shoot a 20mm round FYI
                       Lead on your target depends on distance from you and thier speed and AOA....almost never the same twice
                       Wana get good????  Practice practice practice

And I think it's funny a spawn camper told someone to up wirbels at the spawn to kill the bomb****s....nice Belial...next you'll tell him the town is down and you need an M3!

Oh and GV tip number 1:  Watchout for my A20!
          GV tip number 2:  Only engage as many enemy tanks that you can kill...I took on 7-8 and only killed 5 of them today in one battle.

I heard on this board somewhere that 1.7 is the max distance.  The information was not from a HTC staff member, so I really don't know what the true max distance is, but I do know shooting at anything over 1k is a waste of ammo.  You get lucky every now and then and ping something a little farther than that, but for the most part I don't think I have ever been killed or killed anything in a Whirble more than 1k out.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2009, 11:48:06 AM »
OK Here are some whirby   ttips                      If they are coming straight for u aim straight. if they are diving below your positions shoot underneath their nose. if they are flying above your position  even in a dive shoot above their nose....

If they are coming straight at you at 2 k you will still have to aim above nose to compensate for bullet drop.. as they get closer you will be shooting with out lead.......

Lead is something that can only be explained you will have to learn for youself.......  In all situations except them diving straight in on you you must lead the target.

Amount of lead is dependant on their distance and speed.

<S>
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »
This.

I don't think we really need somebody encouraging n00bs to spawncamp. Yes, I know there's many mixed and varied feelings on vulching in this game, but at least with vulching you can't complain when the enemy shows up with 10 P-47s and starts capping planes after they nail half the hangers. They're trying to take the field, and air superiority is part of that goal. Spawncamping vehicle spawns, however...? Well, I guess you need to "earn" the perk points for that Tiger somehow, right?

For the n00bs, though: do observe that camping is a good and viable tactic in GVs, just like it is/was in real war. Belial said something about hiding behind a hill with only your turret showing- this is called a "hull down" position and it is a great way to give yourself a tremendous advantage. You have effectively reduced your enemies target to just your turret, while ideally you can still target their entire machine. And then, of course, there's "keyholing," which is a fancy term to express the fact that you can only point your gun at one little part of the world at at time, whereas your tank is exposed to the entire world simultaneously. By carefully choosing your spot- like between two buildings, say- you can ensure that your tank is only visible to the wide, hostile world through that one "keyhole-" a keyhole you have your cannon trained on. In short, the only spot an enemy can get a shot at you is the same spot you've got your gun pointed at. Nobody can threaten you without you threatening them, and having a chance to get a shot off.

Often you won't get a perfect position, so do what you can. Use a building to shield your side, the side where you know/expect the enemy to come from, and train your gun on the area just beyond that corner.

Ill be as nice as i can.....How specifically did anyone encorage you  or any noob to spawn camp?  How do you spawn camp bombers in a Whirbly?

In the case of actually spawn camping very few are any good at it....Do you think spawn camping is wrong because BElial is good at it?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:58:34 AM by FireDrgn »

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2009, 12:02:30 PM »
I heard on this board somewhere that 1.7 is the max distance. 

This is absolutely correct.  I very rarely fire outside of -1.5K, as hits outside of that range are few and far between.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2009, 02:20:12 PM »
This is absolutely correct.  I very rarely fire outside of -1.5K, as hits outside of that range are few and far between.

Well when the icons on enemy planes start to show 1.7k I'll use that till then 2.0k is the max you should even bother shooting.  It's funny that people come on just to spout off about the minor things.  Save the band width please.  I too don't fire outside 1.5k but I have been hit and hit planes when the icon shows 2.0k.  And yes I do know that's not the presice distance.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »
Ill be as nice as i can.....How specifically did anyone encorage you  or any noob to spawn camp?  How do you spawn camp bombers in a Whirbly?

Gee, because he's giving people advice on how to spawn camp better?

In the case of actually spawn camping very few are any good at it....Do you think spawn camping is wrong because BElial is good at it?

It's wrong because it's a cheap griefer move that deprives other players of any fun from the game, and in general it takes very little skill to do. I freely admit that I haven't taken ground vehicles out very much at all, so perhaps spawncamping in GVs is a more complex and difficult task then just sitting in one place and popping people as they appear. If so, do explain that to me. Otherwise, I'm not much impressed by anybody who has refined the art of cheap shots to a science, to be honest.

If spawncamping is, for whatever reason, an inevitable part of the game, and thus a genuine skill that needs to be cultivated- well, I can understand. I'm open to that argument. As of now, though, let us say that I am dubious.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »
Alright demetr you whanna test out your theory that its easy?  I'll let you set up postition and try to camp me I bet I kill you within 5 sorties.

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2009, 02:23:13 AM »
Alright demetr you whanna test out your theory that its easy?  I'll let you set up postition and try to camp me I bet I kill you within 5 sorties.

:rofl

Yes, the many-year veteran, who has years of experience with spawncamping and being spawncamped vs. the one-year n00b who has touched a ground vehicle perhaps twice. What an accurate simulation of the nature of the game.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2009, 05:52:58 AM »
I believe this is my 11th or 12th month playing I am far from a veteran, but i'll still whoop you I posted this stuff to help people and you whanna harp on me?  Go somewhere else.

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2009, 08:30:57 AM »
I believe this is my 11th or 12th month playing I am far from a veteran, but i'll still whoop you I posted this stuff to help people and you whanna harp on me?  Go somewhere else.

Oh, really. I hesitated to draw any assumptions based on your forum join date- many people play for years before bothering to join the forums attached to any one game. But I certainly wouldn't want to agitate somebody with almost twelve months of bitter experience at the fine art of spawn camping.  :rofl

Regardless, I will take it elsewhere, because nothing useful can come from this exchange.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2009, 12:25:45 PM »
Gee, because he's giving people advice on how to spawn camp better?

It's wrong because it's a cheap griefer move that deprives other players of any fun from the game, and in general it takes very little skill to do. I freely admit that I haven't taken ground vehicles out very much at all, so perhaps spawncamping in GVs is a more complex and difficult task then just sitting in one place and popping people as they appear. If so, do explain that to me. Otherwise, I'm not much impressed by anybody who has refined the art of cheap shots to a science, to be honest.

If spawncamping is, for whatever reason, an inevitable part of the game, and thus a genuine skill that needs to be cultivated- well, I can understand. I'm open to that argument. As of now, though, let us say that I am dubious.

if you are looking to stop enemy tanks from coming to your base then the spawn is the source!! the distance you choose to park from the spawn is up to you, if you decide not to drive out and stay at base  then you will be camped eventually
Flying since tour 71.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »
Here is the real question.  I asked you How..... because i want you to think about it for a minute.  If some tells you HOW to spawn camp. They are allso telling you how to BREAK a spawn camp.

The tips posted here actually will help you break a "spawn" camp not keep it.......

Camping the spawn is a good way to get your self killed. My best kill sorties have been in the woods half way to town.....

Understand this:

Any one has a better chance of killing a spawn camper than you have making it to town if someone is waiting for you...  

ANY TIME A GV IS PARKED AND WAITING THEY ARE CAMPED.

So if you use your logic..  ANY advice given encourages camping.   I understand what BElial said im asking you to use the information differantly.

It does not matter were there at....think about it for a minute....You think that its unfair in a situation were YOU have a better chance of killing the other gv.

At a spawn you know you have a fight waiting..... half way to town your clueless.

99% of players will not drive to town and get killed more that 3 times... The same players will up at a spawn umpteen times......

Ill use myself as an example.......... If you up at a spawn you have a 50 % 50% chance of killing me.... If im waiting for you half way between...... Your going to be asking yourself where the heck did that come from where is he..... YOU WILL HAVE TO BOmb ME to kill me....

My point is "spawn" camping is only bad because of your lack of refrances. someones opinion of spawn camping always reflects their skill level.  You dont have to be good at spawn camping to gv in this game, but you will have to learn how to break a spawn camp.

It has already be pointed out  there is NO spawn camping of players of equal skill level....well at least not for long....

<S>

Offline Karisma

• Zinc Member
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
I am a two month noob, and I really appreciate all the players that share their experience to help other players.  Everything is up to the individual players to practice and learn from these other players for personal improvement, but guys like you all help us new guys to stay encouraged in the game, and give us items to practice...so thanks for this forum Belial.

Thanks,

Teach5

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
I like how people scream SPAWN CAMPER at a double spawn.  Most of the time they are are just mad the other camper got there first.  And I believe the double spawns are ment to create a gv battle....just sometimes they are way to close together.  I like the hunt and kill to much to be a good camper....point and shoot is not my thing.

Belial can tell you I am a decent gver.  The other day there was 6-8 tanks attacking a base and I took 5 of them out before dieing to Belial's M4.  But I did the logical thing reupped hunted him down and took him out! <S>
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
yeah, it's not camping if it's a double spawn & both teams are: up-shoot-kill-die-rinse&repeat.

But even at those (like at 85), weenies crawl up to the bridge at the top of the hill behind the spawn.  I'll call those guys weenies any day of the week.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac