Author Topic: I fly With Honor, How About You?  (Read 4537 times)

Offline 100hooch

• Copper Member
Re: I fly With Honor, How About You?
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2009, 04:01:01 PM »
Why don't you guys go try pissing up a rope?  Honor is what each person feels it is.  Every pilot who does something you don't agree with is going to have a perfectly good (at least in their mind) reason for doing it.

HOing?  If you're in my sights, I'm pulling the trigger.  I don't care which way your plane is facing.

Ramming?  I don't mean to.  I was banking on you blowing up before I got to the space you were occupying.

Shooting a chute?  Never.  That guy is impotent and not able to do anything his friendlies aren't already doing -- checking sixes, etc.  And if he wants to walk around in the wilderness looking for something to shoot, he probably craps in a coffee can and wipes his butt with pine cones.

Vulching?  By all means, if you're trying to establish a cap and take the base.  Don't let them get off the ground.

Bombing the FHs or VHs?  Sure.  But not to break up the fight.  It's to gain the advantage and take ground.  This is a war game, and winning the map is the end game.  For those of you who whine about the break-up of a furball by some "bomb****", stow it!  If you want to play Aaron Burr all night long, go to the DA.  The idea in the MA is to win the map!

Kill Stealing?  I Try to never do it, and I apologize if I pop a plane someone has saddled.  Since I primarily fly Spitfire MkVIIIs, nothing pisses me off more than getting something saddled just to have a 38 or 51 or 190 swoop in and blow them up right in front of me.  Same goes for the idiots that fly right into my line of fire.  And passing the guy on my six and me to get the guy I'm chasing is the epitome of love muffin!

Checking Sixes?  If I see it, I'm calling it.

Shooting a wounded plane?  If it's CLEARLY moving out of the fight, not worth my time.  Any doubt, then I'm all over it.  I've been killed and seen too many kills by smoking, broken, even burning planes to cut them a break.

Mullets?  I guess it all depends on how stunted your sense of style is.

I guess it simply to comes down to wanting to be respected as a pilot.  And I try to earn that in the way I fly and fight.  But you can never make everyone happy.

I've tried to layout the way I look at different situations in the game.  And I'm not saying that they are right or wrong.  If you agree, I appreciate that.  If you disagree, I respect your right to disagree.

I play this game with an historical interest.  My squad has a relationship with our real life WWII namesakes and our goal is to live up to their legacy and principles.  All I would ask is that you honor the people who lived or died in the machines we now play in cartoon versions of -- by playing with a little dignity.   
"It's not our job to die for our country.  It's our job to make the other poor dumb sonofasqueak die for his!" -- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2009, 04:34:42 PM »
Bombing the FHs or VHs?  Sure.  But not to break up the fight.  It's to gain the advantage and take ground.  This is a war game, and winning the map is the end game.  For those of you who whine about the break-up of a furball by some "bomb****", stow it!  If you want to play Aaron Burr all night long, go to the DA.  The idea in the MA is to win the map!

Actually it's an Air Combat game.  Taking bases is just a sideshow to get combat going.  Playing for reset and the reset alone leads to bad gameplay in general. 
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2009, 04:44:54 PM »

I play this game with an historical interest.  My squad has a relationship with our real life WWII namesakes and our goal is to live up to their legacy and principles.  All I would ask is that you honor the people who lived or died in the machines we now play in cartoon versions of -- by playing with a little dignity.   

Thanks for reminding me why I stay out of the MAs.  Also, how in the world can you square your historical interest with you view of the MA?

- oldman

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2009, 05:09:27 PM »
You simply can't call vulching "fighting with honor" irrespective of what Dale thinks about it. No you weren't trying to take a base... you were alone at the base and vulched through the ack. You even apologized, admitting it was a crappy thing to do. It's not that big of a deal, but it shows that you are not above reproach.
I heard at the time when I did it, they said that the ack was down and it was all clear to vulch. Yes, I helped them take down the ack then died after it, I came back after being AFK for a couple and still heard that the ack was down. I went down to to find most of the ack was up that I killed, and was already in, and that's why I apologized. I don't vulch with the ack up, and that was the only ever time I have done that. It just so happend to be you at the time.
That's why I said, I try and be honorable in every situation, sometimes, there is just no possible way to do it the honorable way.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline A8HatTrick

• Copper Member
      • YouTube
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2009, 05:12:53 PM »
Back IN AW it was considered to be very disrespectful to kill someone in their chute. It was the worst thing to do if you really hated the guy. I still hold that belief and have shot very few of them out in the open.

On Snailman's advice many months ago, I shoot every chute in town range...but thats a different reason all together.

In the MA I don't usually not shoot damaged planes unless I seen them fighting for their survival and making enough kills to get away. If I caused the damage they are dead 1 vs 1 or 2.

In the DA I hardly ever go after them unless i know who it is. Spacy, RC....well any Temp or picker i spot trying to run but mostly guys like them. :aok

We all play the game different. Some learned at different times and some at different ages.

Well said Tool, well said.
A8HatTrick flying WWII sims since 1992
Aces and 8's A8's http://a8s.us aka A8hatrik
-htrk- War Birds Beta .07 thru 2.1
-=Old Farts=- War Birds "Yo Frodo!"
No 308(Polish)Squadron RAF "City of Cracow"  "Yo fdski!"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2009, 05:46:09 PM »
Actually it's an Air Combat game.  Taking bases is just a sideshow to get combat going.  Playing for reset and the reset alone leads to bad gameplay in general. 
That's certainly what it began as back in late 99.  Today capturing territory and winning the war are just as dominant in the game as air combat, if not more so. 

In truth....based on what I see in the arenas, the air component of this game is almost as much about supporting the taking of territory and winning the war as it is about ACM and air versus air.

AcesHigh has evolved into a larger battlefield game, no matter what the A2A purists would like to believe.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Twincam

• Zinc Member
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2009, 06:30:50 PM »
It's a game,ammo is free, pull the trigger and let it rip. :devil
Jeszcze Polska Nie Zgineła

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2009, 07:04:28 PM »
Just the Other day i was flying around in a P-51 and came to where the fight was over A10. I was at about 7K or so and Saw and F4F flying about 3K below me. So I dive down and Lock On his six. He goes into a turn and Knowing I can Fallow I Keep my sight on him. He takes me into the Sky where I see his Oil is out. "Great" I think to myself "Easier to kill" but then I stop and think a second. "This Man has fought in battle, and Probably has won Despite the Damaged plane" I am 400 out and climbing. The question rings out inside my head. Should I or Shouldn't I?

I Wave my wings and pull off to the left. As I check the map..the Damaged plane I once thought I could kill was heading Home.

About 5 minutes later I get into a good dogfight with Another P-51. We Scissors around for quite a bit and Then Collide. I loose my oil and Half my right wing. I level off..knowing I have So skill to Fight like this I turn back to base. Amazingly the P-51 i was just fighting took no Damage. As I turn back to my base. the P-51 Dives down from my 12...HOes me..and I end up in the tower.
 :huh
I'm ok with People who are Score freaks...getting tens of thousands of perks every tour but people could at least fight with Honor.

When People bail out of their Plane I usually see Another friendly plane dive down and kill the Chute. I myself Will just fly By the chute and keep going. When People Shoot a Chute (Hey It rhymes  :) ) It reminds me of a book I once read. A man Bailed out of His P-40 and as he floats down to the Ground A Japanese Zero Dives down and attempts to kill the Chute. He takes many passes but fails to kill the chute. The Japanese pilot returns to base. The Wing commander Chews him out saying it is "Dis-honorable to kill a man who has fought Valiantly" The Pilot Bravely Retorts " Dead Pilots Don't fly another day".
The 2 pilots (the one that bailed and the one that was chewed out) Later on in the book both fight and the Japanese zero pilot Bails out and floats to the ground as his plane plummets to the Ground on fire. the P-40 Pilot zooms past the Chute and they both Wave to each-other.

I just hope this teaches someone something on honor while fighting.  I don't say you HAVE to do this...I am Just saying It's my style on fighting. And I would like to see this A bit more too.

:salute
1st lt. Barko Edwards
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2009, 07:06:49 PM »
I flew with Honor for about 3 weeks but she complained constantly so I dumper her for Fifi..............
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2009, 08:06:42 PM »
I flew with Honor for about 3 weeks but she complained constantly so I dumper her for Fifi..............

and you've never looked back :)  This is a very touching story about a man and his sheeps :D (ya I know you don't put an "s" on sheep in the plural, but it just sounds funny, so I went ahead and took the liberty).  Always good to have have a Silat sighting
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »
That's certainly what it began as back in late 99.  Today capturing territory and winning the war are just as dominant in the game as air combat, if not more so. 

In truth....based on what I see in the arenas, the air component of this game is almost as much about supporting the taking of territory and winning the war as it is about ACM and air versus air.

AcesHigh has evolved into a larger battlefield game, no matter what the A2A purists would like to believe.

If only the game would evolve with the game-play you might be on to something. 

As it is the game is just crowds of sheeple slamming square pegs as hard as they can into round holes, until they wear the corners off.

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2009, 09:56:40 PM »
Just the Other day i was flying around in a P-51 and came to where the fight was over A10. I was at about 7K or so and Saw and F4F flying about 3K below me. So I dive down and Lock On his six. He goes into a turn and Knowing I can Fallow I Keep my sight on him. He takes me into the Sky where I see his Oil is out. "Great" I think to myself "Easier to kill" but then I stop and think a second. "This Man has fought in battle, and Probably has won Despite the Damaged plane" I am 400 out and climbing. The question rings out inside my head. Should I or Shouldn't I?

I Wave my wings and pull off to the left. As I check the map..the Damaged plane I once thought I could kill was heading Home.

About 5 minutes later I get into a good dogfight with Another P-51. We Scissors around for quite a bit and Then Collide. I loose my oil and Half my right wing. I level off..knowing I have So skill to Fight like this I turn back to base. Amazingly the P-51 i was just fighting took no Damage. As I turn back to my base. the P-51 Dives down from my 12...HOes me..and I end up in the tower.
 :huh
I'm ok with People who are Score freaks...getting tens of thousands of perks every tour but people could at least fight with Honor.

When People bail out of their Plane I usually see Another friendly plane dive down and kill the Chute. I myself Will just fly By the chute and keep going. When People Shoot a Chute (Hey It rhymes  :) ) It reminds me of a book I once read. A man Bailed out of His P-40 and as he floats down to the Ground A Japanese Zero Dives down and attempts to kill the Chute. He takes many passes but fails to kill the chute. The Japanese pilot returns to base. The Wing commander Chews him out saying it is "Dis-honorable to kill a man who has fought Valiantly" The Pilot Bravely Retorts " Dead Pilots Don't fly another day".
The 2 pilots (the one that bailed and the one that was chewed out) Later on in the book both fight and the Japanese zero pilot Bails out and floats to the ground as his plane plummets to the Ground on fire. the P-40 Pilot zooms past the Chute and they both Wave to each-other.

I just hope this teaches someone something on honor while fighting.  I don't say you HAVE to do this...I am Just saying It's my style on fighting. And I would like to see this A bit more too.

:salute
1st lt. Barko Edwards

its a GAME get over it
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2009, 01:16:31 AM »

:lol   

:salute  Silat.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2009, 03:00:33 AM »

The idea in the MA is to win the map!

Show me where the devs said  that. Come one, show me.  Go ahead, show me.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2009, 07:19:12 AM »
Late arrival in this thread. And IO didnt read all the responses.

Back in Air Warrior for windows (the first version of the game I played) when it was on AOL. There was a certain amount of honor most people used.
during a fight if you suddenly broke off, headed to the deck and toward your own base combined witha call of "Bingo ammo" or "bingo fuel" would more often then not result on the other plane backing off.  And giving a "rgr <S> Good fight." And almost as frequently. if the other plane  didnt see the message in time and shot you down anyway. they would often apologize for doing so.

Also if you were at an enemy base that you werent trying to capture and saw someone upping. it was pretty standard to let them up and at least leave the base  and get some E to work with before you attacked.
Thats somewhat less rare then the pre mentioned. But still rare these days.

There indeed did seem to be a code of honor among those who played

Then as more less then honorable players discovered the game. Or I should say more gamey players joined. That unwritten code started to dwindle.
then you would then only see it in the early morning hours when the numbers were lowest. as the day progressed. and the numbers got larger. The honor evaporated till as is the case now. You rarely see it at all.

Used to be this bothered me. I've since given up. Though I do still occasionally let one go if it was a decent 1 V 1 and it seems to me like the player has a PW or some other obvious damage to the plane. Usually I'll (pull along side if I can)wag my wings  to let the other player know Im breaking off intentionally and then I'll peel off with a message of "go home"

As much as I would like to see the return of that unwritten code of honor. I know its probably gone forever. As what many have probably made clear here. Most people just dont care. And if they did once. They dont anymore.

Its a shame really. Its a fun way to play. But not many are interested in that anymore.

Bottom line is you can only control how you play the game. You can only set expectations for yourself.
If you are one of the few that still flies with a code of honor.And can maintain it when seemingly nobody else does I <S> you. because you are a near extinct breed.
Cause  for better or worse,most people really dont care anymore.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:42:48 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty