Author Topic: Simple Build, 100% dedicated for AHII only - Help/Input Needed  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
Re: Simple Build, 100% dedicated for AHII only - Help/Input Needed
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 03:56:28 PM »
If this is gonna be just for AH I know I've heard Skuzzy say that AH is really dependent on a good CPU, so if you can spend the most money there.

I heard that same thing too the other day.  I sent a message to AH tech support and asked for any information I needed to know before I started ordering parts.  They told me that AHII is more dependent on CPU than it is on graphics card.  However, they said the update that is coming soon will be more graphics card dependent.

So, I guess I need to make CPU a priority, but get a graphics card that will hold up after the update.  Does anyone have any info about the update that I may need to know?

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 04:03:03 PM »
Tildeath, no Sound card or OS.

Based on what I have learned so far, a sound card isn't as crucial as the other parts.  However, I have also read (I think Skuzzy said it) that using a sound card takes a significant load off of the CPU.  Since the game is CPU-dependent, I think I should get some kind of sound card, but I will probably go with something nice and cheap.  I would like to find a cheap sound card that is just simple and dependable.

For OS, I have heard nothing but complaints and problems about Vista, though I haven't used it myself.  I am leaning toward XP, but I am open to testimonies from those who are experienced with using both OSs in AHII.

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 04:12:31 PM »
have you thought about triple head 2 go?
how well does your laptop run Aces High 2?

I don't know what triple head 2 go is...

My laptop has been fluctuating 20-40fps will the graphics turned down completely.

Last night, when the arena had over 700 pilots in, it was dropping down below 10fps.  What was up with that?  Went to an emptier arena and it went back to 30fps. 

Is that where the CPU comes in?

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »
Is that where the CPU comes in?

yup.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 07:11:04 PM »
Sorry, I meant to mention that.  I got about $1,800 to spend total, including some of the extras I want like a nice big display (or maybe a projector, any input?), and some other accessories like a nice set of rudder pedals, maybe a new chair, and a little mini-fridge so I don't have to get up for beer  :aok

For the everything in the case, I hope to keep it around $1,000, including OS.  But I am more concerned with having the right parts, and none of the excess features that aren't absolutely essential for this purpose.

a low end I7 920 complete is about 1200.00  but twice as fast as a 8400/8500

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 07:30:31 PM »
a low end I7 920 complete is about 1200.00  but twice as fast as a 8400/8500

Not at gaming from what I have read. E8500 is slightly faster.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »
Twice as fast?  Benchmarks plz
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »
It amazes me.    Actually it is more like playing Boggle with "reality."    :huh
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 07:45:44 PM »
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

i7 920@2.66ghz scores 5499

8400@3.0ghz  scores 2099
8500@3.16ghz  scores 2312

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 07:54:52 PM »
Miller,
check this thread I started to see a comp that will run AH with no problem, even with the new water. My total includes complete with 19" monitor for 990.00.  Not a bad place to start and you can adjust from there.  Try contacting TilDeath, he can hook up the same system for a bit less and tweak it to your desire for a few bucks less than what I have posted.  I'm working with him right now to do the purchasing on the 2 comps listed in the thread below because he gets a better price and adds the personal touch that you really can't get anywhere else.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,261351.0.html

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 08:02:23 PM »
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

i7 920@2.66ghz scores 5499

8400@3.0ghz  scores 2099
8500@3.16ghz  scores 2312

All you need to do is look at the overall scoring to see this is a synthetic garbage "benchmark".

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 10:58:33 PM »
My laptop has been fluctuating 20-40fps will the graphics turned down completely.

Last night, when the arena had over 700 pilots in, it was dropping down below 10fps.  What was up with that?  Went to an emptier arena and it went back to 30fps. 
All I have is an E5200 overclocked to 3.0Ghz, 2 Gigs of ram, and a ATI 2600 Pro and my frame rates are maxed out to 75fps with the graphics turned up.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 12:00:23 AM »
All I have is an E5200 overclocked to 3.0Ghz, 2 Gigs of ram, and a ATI 2600 Pro and my frame rates are maxed out to 75fps with the graphics turned up.

Similarly I have an E6750 OC'd to 3.2 Ghz, 4 Gbs DDR2 800 and a 512 8800 GTS running monitor refresh rates (59 fps) but it did that before adding 2 Gbs of RAM and before OCing.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 12:02:26 AM »
I think a soundcard takes an INsignificant amount of process away from the CPU. it's used more so for a good surround sound speaker system. not many think "get a soundcard" when trying to improve gaming performance.

definately put aside some money for pedals and the trackir system(if you are sure this is the game for you). maybe look at some HOTAS controls. i use a saitek cyborg x and it has plenty of buttons where i dont have to move my hands around during combat.

i'm running an nvidia 8800 GT and the game runs well, but when i upgrade it's probably going to be a lower end on the new series. maybe this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130372

vista is a good os and runs well. a lot better than any xp i've ever owned. i've run vista for about a year now and it hasn't failed me yet. it does come with a lot of automatic features turned on as well as Account User Control(which is what most people hate about Vista), but you just need to turn it off.

look up some local computer stores(non franchise). they can set you up with an inexpensive gaming system. building gaming systems is usually their specialty and they should put it together no charge.

and if this computer is truely just for AH2 you shouldn't have to spend more than $500-600 for the pc alone.
Squash

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 12:10:22 AM »
I think a soundcard takes an INsignificant amount of process away from the CPU. it's used more so for a good surround sound speaker system. not many think "get a soundcard" when trying to improve gaming performance.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes but the X-Fi cards have their own processors and RAM and take nearly if not all of 100% of audio processing off the main system.  Cheaper cards don't do the same.  It's the old case of you get what you pay for.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.