Author Topic: mazda miata  (Read 2455 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: mazda miata
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »
Not to mention it would understeer like a mother.

Not exactly. It would add weight using the 5.0 Ford in the neighborhood of 100 lbs on the front end. Not insignificant but hardly crippling. The T5 trans and 8.8" rear would add more but also shift the weight more to the rear. With the 5.0/T-5/8.8 swap, the weight distribution ends up at 53/47 front to rear. With the aluminum Chevy V8, it would be even better. Unless you decided on adding a centrifugal blower to the mix. If your willing to "alter" the rear floorpan, you could get a custom built remote mount turbo from STS and lay down strips of fire like in Back To The Future:devil
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »
Understand, this is NOT an easy car to "work on."   There is little to no room regardless of what work you want to do to it.   This is the biggest problem with Miata's.  

If you are dead set on getting a Miata, I strongly suggest you replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing at the same time.    It will be an all day job.   Bolts will be frozen, cramped work area, etc.   If you know someone with good Pneumatic tools, drive it to their house first and spray the f**k out of it with PB Blaster for two days prior.   I helped a buddy do this a few years back.    It takes all day and is still not easy on a lift.  

People shouldn't be shocked at the "chick car" jokes.   It is all they are, jokes.   I may have joked, but I know quite a bit of info on the Miata.  

forget pb blaster.

freeze off. napa sells it. i don't use anything else to break loose stubborn nuts or bolts now. it's never let me down.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »
forget pb blaster.

freeze off. napa sells it. i don't use anything else to break loose stubborn nuts or bolts now. it's never let me down.

Regardless, "spray the f**k out of it" are the words to be remembered here.    :rock

Now you're forcing me to piss of my wife and go buy this stuff to see how it is.   :devil
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2009, 01:58:53 PM »
Not exactly. It would add weight using the 5.0 Ford in the neighborhood of 100 lbs on the front end. Not insignificant but hardly crippling. The T5 trans and 8.8" rear would add more but also shift the weight more to the rear. With the 5.0/T-5/8.8 swap, the weight distribution ends up at 53/47 front to rear. With the aluminum Chevy V8, it would be even better. Unless you decided on adding a centrifugal blower to the mix. If your willing to "alter" the rear floorpan, you could get a custom built remote mount turbo from STS and lay down strips of fire like in Back To The Future:devil
That's not bad. I'd expected a lot more than 100lbs increase. Reminded me of the guys who used to shoehorn Prelude H22's into CRX's. Had to carry $200 worth of groceries in the back just so the rear tires would touch the ground. :lol
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »
Regardless, "spray the f**k out of it" are the words to be remembered here.    :rock

Now you're forcing me to piss of my wife and go buy this stuff to see how it is.   :devil

lolol.......sorry dude....... :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »
That's not bad. I'd expected a lot more than 100lbs increase. Reminded me of the guys who used to shoehorn Prelude H22's into CRX's. Had to carry $200 worth of groceries in the back just so the rear tires would touch the ground. :lol

The site I referenced earlier in this thread makes a tubular k-member which shaves 10 lbs off the front (They also make a version without motor mounts, so you can drop in any engine you want). If you went with aluminum coil-overs, tubular control arms and aftermarket brakes, you could save even more weight. The turbo 4 route is an option, if that's your bag. One of those JDM-spec EVO motors and a monster turbo would work pretty well. I like the idea of the Subaru flat 4, but it may be even wider than a V8.

The first V8 Miata I saw was in the very late '90s. You could see the long tube headers and big oil pan underneath. He was going for the Japanese "Shelby Cobra" look. Blue with white stripes, Halibrands and even the dual fans in the grill. It looked and sounded wicked and ever since, I have been thinking of building one.

Of course it won't be cheap when all is said and done. But it will be scary fast and I won't have to wear a hat and dark glasses when driving it in public. If you wanted to do it on the cheap, you probably could build it for less than a brand new one.

As for the OP, it seems unlikely that the typical Miata owner would be interested in an assault rifle. But I wish you luck.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2009, 06:17:22 PM »
never said she was stock.  :devil

did you ever see a stock mustang run 12.20's? i did some things to her.......they're listed in another thread here i think.

almost forgot.....98 trans am....didn't that have the corvette motor in it? or was it the standard 350? or the buick turbo v6?

The 1998 was the first year the f-body got the aluminum vette LS1.  Rated at 305hp but most guys are getting 300ish at the wheels, so it's actually putting out more like 340.  Mine has 136000 miles and still pulls great, doesn't burn a drop of oil either.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Sombra

• Copper Member
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »
Sports Car International says the miata is the  10th best sports car of all time, and so the no 1 of the "affordable" ones I might say.

Offline pxdig

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2009, 11:07:11 PM »
 :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

Teh mazda miata listed with ferrari's and Porsche's, WTF is this ???????????

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2009, 11:34:25 PM »
It's an opinion poll of a magazine's editors. Take a break from posting emoticons and use your brain for a second, genius.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2009, 11:44:31 PM »
It's an opinion poll of a magazine's editors. Take a break from posting emoticons and use your brain for a second, genius.

:rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2009, 01:45:59 AM »
But 150 in a stock 1989 mustang... nonsense.  A stang of that era would need somewhere around 300hp to touch 150.

Here's the first paragraph from a Car & Driver test.

The perennial Ford-Chevy battle continues with a 225-bhp GT vs a 220-bhp IROC-Z

The black Camaro was a distant speck as it came off the wall-of-death banking at Ohio's Transportation Research Center. Its size grew with the approaching whoosh of air; this wasn't a car driving past so much as an aircraft buzzing our small group. The whoosh became WHOOSH as the Camaro approached as fast as something in Col Kadafi's worst nightmare, then disappeared. Only the timing lights in front of us could testify that the Camaro was ever there, its appearance was so brief. The result: 149.20 mph. Only a few minutes before, the 1987 Mustang GT had recorded 148.10 mph. The musclecars have grown up.

/hijack
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2009, 01:52:16 AM »
back in the 70,s my brother inlaw forced a 351 into a mazda rx-3 (this was for drag racing purposes ) That thing was really fast although there is too much water under the bridge to remember any times.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2009, 02:18:27 AM »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 02:21:07 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2009, 04:23:35 AM »
Back to the OP, I have the Jap version, a '94 limited edition (500) imported into the UK, lowered RSR springs, adjustable GAB shocks. Cheapo top down motoring, great fun. :salute

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:25:21 AM by Wobbly »
Game ID: Blimey