Author Topic: mazda miata  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
Re: mazda miata
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2009, 04:22:40 PM »
A WHOLE lotta compensating going on in this thread. ;)
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2009, 04:33:46 PM »
 :lol   Not compensating, it's just fun to have a fast car. The easiest way to do that is get the smallest, lightest car and put the most powerful engine that fits in it. Or you could drop even more money on a new Corvette and watch the little Miata blow by you.   :O
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 04:41:30 PM »
If they'd had the sense to put a rotary in it in the first place... but I digress.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »
You don not have to be gay to have a miata.   Where I work they had one,  I drove it I absolutely like how the car handled.  The clutch did not have a lot of play and I couldnt stall the darn thing.  It is definantly A LOT better than a bunch of the other sports cars that I have driven at work.   Audi's volkswagons   and various other cars.   The reason that I dont like the audis or volkswagons is that they are very tempermental if you have a manual tranny it it.  Plus the repair bill is outrageous.  I do happen to like the jetta tdi in a 6 speed.  But I will not be going to  buy one of those.   I just simply want a madza miata.

Arian

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2009, 05:24:43 PM »
:lol   Not compensating, it's just fun to have a fast car. The easiest way to do that is get the smallest, lightest car and put the most powerful engine that fits in it. Or you could drop even more money on a new Corvette and watch the little Miata blow by you.   :O
My car does 164, I agree. I mean the Miata bashing.

If I wanted to go even faster, I'd buy an Elise or maybe an Atom.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »
Never seen  a Miata with a V8 transplant before.BS till I see it :rolleyes:

They've been doing it since they first appeared in 89.   Also, I've seen one "Shogun" which is a Ford Festiva with a Taurus SHO engine.   It was fast!   Last I heard the Shogun's got as high as 425hp for rwd.   It makes the most of the engine, for the lightweight chassis though.   

The Monster Miatas are not only not worth it, they force the owner to replace the entire drivetrain.   To do the conversion yourself, IIRC you'll need a 90-96 Cougar/T-Bird IRS, T-5 trans, beefier springs and a larger front anti-roll bar.

My buddy in HS (grad. in 91) had an Omni GLH.   He easily beat every car he raced.   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2009, 05:47:26 PM »
They've been doing it since they first appeared in 89.   Also, I've seen one "Shogun" which is a Ford Festiva with a Taurus SHO engine.   It was fast!   Last I heard the Shogun's got as high as 425hp for rwd.   It makes the most of the engine, for the lightweight chassis though.   

The Monster Miatas are not only not worth it, they force the owner to replace the entire drivetrain.   To do the conversion yourself, IIRC you'll need a 90-96 Cougar/T-Bird IRS, T-5 trans, beefier springs and a larger front anti-roll bar.
My buddy in HS (grad. in 91) had an Omni GLH.   He easily beat every car he raced.   

Not to mention it would understeer like a mother.

Offline GFShill

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »
I am looking for a miata,  I would like to trade my ar15 for one.  Anyone have an older one for sale or know someone who does?
PM  me with details pls.

Arian

The entry price for a decent Miata is about $2k, and even then it would take work to get it presentable in public.

Your AR-15 would have to be pretty high-level to get that, with plenty of bells and whistles. Tac rails, collapsible stock, laser site, M203, mags and a hardcase with Gor-Tex rifle sock, at the least.
==========

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »
I found a miata in the bulletion board.  I am calling up tomorrow and asking if they will trade for it.
I dont care If it requires some work,  because that could be experience under my belt.  I am mechanically enclined, so fixing a car would not be a problem for me.
But any how I am hoping they will trade for it and will go and look at it and test drive it maybe.

Arian

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 11:11:39 PM »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2009, 12:00:05 AM »
My car does 164, I agree. I mean the Miata bashing.

If I wanted to go even faster, I'd buy an Elise or maybe an Atom.

my 89 mustang topped 150 easily. dunno how fast i was going. the speedo stopped at 140..and i wrapped the needle around to hit 0 again....that was at 5400rpm in 5th gear with 3.73;s, and she was still pulling when i lifted.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline pxdig

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2009, 11:36:14 AM »
I agree.

You dont have to be gay to drive a Miata........

but it helps.  :rofl

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2009, 11:44:34 AM »
my 89 mustang topped 150 easily. dunno how fast i was going. the speedo stopped at 140..and i wrapped the needle around to hit 0 again....that was at 5400rpm in 5th gear with 3.73;s, and she was still pulling when i lifted.

Stock?  If so, I call BS.  My Dad drove 5.0 mustangs for a living (Calif Hwy Patrol) and every model of the 5.0 mustang from 1987 through 1993 simply ran out of pull at around 140.  He said the 1991 was probably the fastest because they started adding more smog equipment, leading to a HP derating to 220 (from 225) in 1993.

But 150 in a stock 1989 mustang... nonsense.  A stang of that era would need somewhere around 300hp to touch 150.

On top of that, I raced a 199x mustang in my 1998 trans-am back in early 1998, and above 120 there was simply no comparison.  Starting from 80 with the stang driver working the gears and me simply leaving it in 5th (an overdrive gear hehe) the stang wheezed it's way up to 130ish around the time I passed 140 even though I didn't downshift or anything.  I let up as I passed 150 (all the car mags tested my car up to a measured 159) but the mustang never even came close to 140.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2009, 12:01:09 PM »
Stock?  If so, I call BS.  My Dad drove 5.0 mustangs for a living (Calif Hwy Patrol) and every model of the 5.0 mustang from 1987 through 1993 simply ran out of pull at around 140.  He said the 1991 was probably the fastest because they started adding more smog equipment, leading to a HP derating to 220 (from 225) in 1993.

But 150 in a stock 1989 mustang... nonsense.  A stang of that era would need somewhere around 300hp to touch 150.

On top of that, I raced a 199x mustang in my 1998 trans-am back in early 1998, and above 120 there was simply no comparison.  Starting from 80 with the stang driver working the gears and me simply leaving it in 5th (an overdrive gear hehe) the stang wheezed it's way up to 130ish around the time I passed 140 even though I didn't downshift or anything.  I let up as I passed 150 (all the car mags tested my car up to a measured 159) but the mustang never even came close to 140.

never said she was stock.  :devil

did you ever see a stock mustang run 12.20's? i did some things to her.......they're listed in another thread here i think.

almost forgot.....98 trans am....didn't that have the corvette motor in it? or was it the standard 350? or the buick turbo v6?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 12:03:49 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
I found a miata in the bulletion board.  I am calling up tomorrow and asking if they will trade for it.
I dont care If it requires some work,  because that could be experience under my belt.  I am mechanically enclined, so fixing a car would not be a problem for me.
But any how I am hoping they will trade for it and will go and look at it and test drive it maybe.
Arian

Understand, this is NOT an easy car to "work on."   There is little to no room regardless of what work you want to do to it.   This is the biggest problem with Miata's.  

If you are dead set on getting a Miata, I strongly suggest you replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing at the same time.    It will be an all day job.   Bolts will be frozen, cramped work area, etc.   If you know someone with good Pneumatic tools, drive it to their house first and spray the f**k out of it with PB Blaster for two days prior.   I helped a buddy do this a few years back.    It takes all day and is still not easy on a lift.  

People shouldn't be shocked at the "chick car" jokes.   It is all they are, jokes.   I may have joked, but I know quite a bit of info on the Miata.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC