Author Topic: Please Fix the IL-2 37mm Accuracy  (Read 5879 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Please Fix the IL-2 37mm Accuracy
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 12:21:53 AM »
Using rarity as a criterion for perkage is a can of worms. I mean, the Ta-152 was about as rare as anything we have in-game, but does not deserve to be perked.
I think that is why it was perked originally.

I just hate to see a) a historically rare thing being common in the game and b) fewer options.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2009, 02:06:10 AM »
I'd like to see the 37mm's accuracy made more realistic, it completely distorts the weapon's RL effectiveness the way it is.

Maybe the Il-2's anti-armour PTAB cluster bomblets could be added as an option to make up for it. These were small hollow charge munitions which could burn a hole through the top armour of any German tank. The Il-2 could carry 192 of these which were dropped in a pattern which covered about 230 ft by 50 ft. I guess it might need some sort of upgrade to AH's code to cope with that number of bombs though....

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2009, 06:38:07 AM »
Between the wirby's 3000 round sustained fire without reload or threat of jamming (that includes the Osty and M16), the IL-2's laser AP cannons (37mm), and a host of other direct fire issues in this "sim", it shows that there are vehicles and systems being released into this "sim" that are not being fully researched or tested correctly.

Yeager is correct to a certain extent, but having gross misinterpretations and implementations of weapons systems and their ability to perform far beyond the capabilities both historically and realistically is a travesty.  It does nothing but take away from the "sim" aspect and point it towards a X-Box game.  I'd like to believe that HTC would rather have a more fine tuned following bent on enjoying a realistic sim vs a hoarde or kids/summer game players looking for a quick game rush for the summer.

I hope, I sincerely hope that HTC is able to grasp historical fact and get it implemented into the IL-2, the wirblewind, and the other uber-vehicles in the game. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2009, 07:19:27 AM »

I hope, I sincerely hope that HTC is able to grasp historical fact and get it implemented into the IL-2, the wirblewind, and the other uber-vehicles in the game. 

They can, But they also know they can't make everyone happy. If things are too realistic, people would be crying on the boards anyway. I think now that the IL-2 has had time to be used in game, HTC will take another look at it.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 09:00:33 AM »
Maybe the Il-2's anti-armour PTAB cluster bomblets could be added as an option to make up for it. These were small hollow charge munitions which could burn a hole through the top armour of any German tank. The Il-2 could carry 192 of these which were dropped in a pattern which covered about 230 ft by 50 ft. I guess it might need some sort of upgrade to AH's code to cope with that number of bombs though....

Totally agree. Il-2s did kill tanks and THIS was the weapon they used to do it. I've been wondering that very thing about the PTAB....game would have to trach the trajectory of 192 objects if they were released as a single salvo...

So, of course one can argue that as the PTAB isn't technically feasible NS-37s are there instead.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2009, 09:23:39 AM »
Or track much fewer and then multiply the tracked impacts' distribution to 192.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2009, 09:56:38 AM »
Or track much fewer and then multiply the tracked impacts' distribution to 192.

Yes, of course there are compromises amd work arounds that could be implemented. But I'm thinking HTC would require them all to be visible anyway. That would only be GPU load for users' FEs and not server load, though.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:42:16 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2009, 01:18:50 PM »
"In other words, for the destruction of a solitary tank, vehicle etc... it was necessary to attack with about 15 armored IL's"

In the opinions of flight crews operating on the Il-2 with the NS-37, attacking small targets with the heavier armament didn't differ much from that of the Il-2 with the smaller caliber ShVAK and VYa cannons and a normal bombload of 300-350kg PTAB."

Some more mentions of how many IL-2's required to take down a solitary tank of Panzer IV quality or better utilizing the 37mm cannons.  15 planes to take out that solitary target!  Also note that the pilots truly saw little difference between the 37mm and the lighter 23mm with the PTAB's loaded out.

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2009, 01:33:03 PM »
I think all of this points to one thing . . .

We should have the JU-87G.   :D
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »
I think all of this points to one thing . . .

We should have the JU-87G.   :D

I agree the JU-87G should be added, but please make a separate wish thread for it Sir.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2009, 04:55:39 PM »
My view:
the IL2 is deadly with the no recoil 37mms, if a tank gets killed by one, the immediate effect is to up a Wirble with it's 3000 round of continuous fire. If you neuter both of these, don't you think it would equal back out?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2009, 05:27:02 PM »
If you neuter both of these, don't you think it would equal back out?

It would be as it should be, provided both are documented fact.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2009, 05:29:33 PM »
It would be as it should be, provided both are documented fact.
Well, said IL2 documents, and with the wirble, it has been stated from facts as well earlier on.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
Between the wirby's 3000 round sustained fire without reload or threat of jamming (that includes the Osty and M16), the IL-2's laser AP cannons (37mm), and a host of other direct fire issues in this "sim", it shows that there are vehicles and systems being released into this "sim" that are not being fully researched or tested correctly.

Yeager is correct to a certain extent, but having gross misinterpretations and implementations of weapons systems and their ability to perform far beyond the capabilities both historically and realistically is a travesty.  It does nothing but take away from the "sim" aspect and point it towards a X-Box game.  I'd like to believe that HTC would rather have a more fine tuned following bent on enjoying a realistic sim vs a hoarde or kids/summer game players looking for a quick game rush for the summer.

I do so love the wonderful selective realism.

HiTech

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2009, 01:04:53 PM »
Before the peanut gallery chimes in just because they love to see you rip on people, you're missing the point of the criticism HT.  It's about consistent standards of what to model realistically, not realism itself.  You've done a great job at modeling auto-cannons with historically correct rates of fire and physically correct recoil, but they're pointing out that the Il-2's 37mm and wirbelwind's rate of fire don't seem up to the same standard of your previous work.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!