Author Topic: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"  (Read 14010 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Myth: SpitXVI is "slow"
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2009, 09:50:08 AM »
Not, it is not relevant at all. What it shows is that at some point in the past some individual got the same numbers in a IX as he got in an XVI, numbers which involve many unknown and unknowable factors. It says nothing about the relative performance of the machines.  If you want to get real crazy, look at the way the P-38J k/d has been some tours...it has been at the top of non-perks, or very close. Going by your "logic", that would mean the P-38J is in fact superior to all non-perked planes. Including the almost identical but slightly better (boosted ailerons and dive flaps!) P-38L!!! Clearly this is not a logically sound argument, although it is an excellent use of any available excuse to strut about one's score. :rolleyes:

Wow, sorry for this super late response. I missed it as I was too busy flexing in the mirror.

I’m just showing you cold hard facts that a Spitfire fanboi, like myself  doesn’t need the “best Spit in the hanger to compete in the MA”.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:08:44 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2009, 09:51:39 AM »
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:08:12 AM by Kazaa »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2009, 09:52:23 AM »
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:08:05 AM by Kazaa »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2009, 10:06:57 AM »
I have to show fencer that you quadruple posted.  He made fun of me for my triple post yesterday, and when I saw the forum seize up, I knew there'd be a bunch of extra posts. :rofl
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #244 on: May 12, 2009, 10:07:24 AM »
Multipost! </Leeloo from 5th Element accent>
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2009, 10:15:58 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV_eGm1qgGs

"Leeloo Dallas multipass."

This thread needed a change of subject anyway.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:17:48 AM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2009, 10:38:25 AM »
An individual's k/d stats are almost useless when discussing a plane's performance. Even the stats for that plane model are almost useless, as I have demonstrated at length. Or do you really believe the P-38J is so inherently superior to other models, including the P-38L, as k/d stats would seem to suggest?

I’m just showing you cold hard facts that a Spitfire fanboi, like myself  doesn’t need the “best Spit in the hanger to compete in the MA”. Try to reply without an insult next time.

Well, which is true? Because it seems like my detractors have been arguing out of both sides of their mouth...one the one hand I have been told that perking the SpitXVI would be a tremendous handicap for Spit aficionados, that the VIII is not enough...now you seem to be telling that even our version IX is pretty darn competitive in the LW MA. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:48:33 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Twizzty

• Silver Member
« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »
 :rofl That's alot of flexing!

Meteor Interception of Luftwannabe Forces.
Current status of M.I.L.F: On standby - awaiting aircraft.
The Few

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #248 on: May 12, 2009, 11:08:36 AM »
lol wtf. :noid :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #249 on: May 12, 2009, 11:17:53 AM »
Zscore for energy retention, 400-150mph:

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm a bit surprised to see the 1A has superior E retention in the engine-off state over ALL the Hogs. I can sort of see the -4, 1D and C because all three have fixed pylons which add drag, but there's not much difference in the airframe between the -1, other than the canopy (which arguably, the raised bubble of the 1A would have MORE drag over the -1.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »
I'm a bit surprised to see the 1A has superior E retention in the engine-off state over ALL the Hogs. I can sort of see the -4, 1D and C because all three have fixed pylons which add drag, but there's not much difference in the airframe between the -1, other than the canopy (which arguably, the raised bubble of the 1A would have MORE drag over the -1.

Yes, it surprised me too.  I actually tested the 1A twice because its Eg retention was significantly better than the rest of the Hogs, but I got the same results.

Still, they are all so close that for the purposes of a Zscore the difference between the 1A and 1 is negligible.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:34:03 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2009, 11:49:05 AM »
Well, which is true? Because it seems like my detractors have been arguing out of both sides of their mouth...one the one hand I have been told that perking the SpitXVI would be a tremendous handicap for Spit aficionados, that the VIII is not enough...now you seem to be telling that even our version IX is pretty darn competitive in the LW MA. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

The IX can be a great counter to the XVI. :aok

Also the XVI can't be that good if my stats in it are exatly the same as the IX.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:49:40 PM by Kazaa »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2009, 12:03:27 PM »
If bnz is going to go toe to toe with Guppy on spits he needs to spend a few years educating himself first. Dan has a long history of experience on real spits He has met and interviewed many of the actual spit pilots in his quest for knowlege on its history and use.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #253 on: May 12, 2009, 12:28:39 PM »
Speaking of expecting more from people,

I see that you were trying to outline a potential argument about subjectivity of relative performance characteristics, but it's a pretty weak argument.

Yes, that was the purpose and I didn't really think it through.  I was specifically thinking about the F4F varients as I typed that and, after reading 6 pages of this I was trying to get my response in quickly before going to bed.  I didn't mean to open a debate regarding the dive charachteristics of any plane although with a little thought I'm sure I could come up with a specific single performance measurement and use anecdotal evidence and opinion to support my case. 
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #254 on: May 12, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »
Awesome wrist BnZ! Man, I wish I could throw spin like that. :rock

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat