Author Topic: What we need are some What If planes  (Read 10249 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: What we need are some What If planes
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »
Even at low altitude the P-47 out-zooms almost everything. I think the only planes that are better zoomers  at low alt are the Tempest and F4U-4, though I'm not sure.

I've tested zoom climbs quite abit, using the following procedure:

Dive to to sea level and in excess of 400mph. Level and allow speed to bleed down to exactly 400mph IAS...do a 3G pull up into the straight vertical. Hold zoom until it becomes impossible to hold the craft in the zoom. Note the highest altitude regained. (Note: In a pure vertical zoom like this, the G meter will be at zero, the craft *will* be unloaded.)

Using this test, the P-47D-40, F4U-1A, P-51D, and the SpitXVI all zoom back up to about 6,200-6,500. The plane that has an edge clearly enough to be seen in these tests is the P-38, from which I can usually get 6,700-7000. And this probably has as much to do with neutral torque as any other factor.

In AHII, the heavier airplanes do not nessecarily outzoom the lighter ones with advantageous power loading co-alt co-e. And in the real world, wouldn't zoom climb also be a matter of mass/drag ratio along with thrust/weight, rather a matter of "weight" per se?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:05:22 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2009, 03:05:11 PM »
Die Hard I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I have a good handle on what the 110 can and can't do, and what it really means to say "if I put a great stick in x or y plane, it'll do well" as an argument in this thread.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »
It's a bit counterintuitive, but if you have two aircraft identical in every way except weight, both flying level at the same speed and pulling gently up into a (near) vertical climb... The heavier aircraft will zoom-climb higher than the lighter identical aircraft. It works because the heavier aircraft brings more kinetic energy into the climb, and because gravity affects all objects equally no matter the weight; so the equation is something like this: thrust + inertia (speed and weight) - drag and gravity. Thrust, speed, drag and gravity being the same only weight decides the outcome.

The P-47 has tremendous power and is quite heavy; if you follow one up into a zoom you'd better have a lot of extra E or get ready for the rope!
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2009, 03:16:04 PM »
It might be a good business move to add an Australian plane that didn't even see combat time.  Maybe more Aussies would be interested to test it out and buy a subscription. 

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2009, 03:18:28 PM »
It might be a good business move to add an Australian plane that didn't even see combat time.  Maybe more Aussies would be interested to test it out and buy a subscription. 

I think we have more than enough Aussies that play the game already.  ;)  Bunch of smelly buggers too.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2009, 03:21:41 PM »
I've tested zoom climbs quite abit, using the following procedure:

Dive to to sea level and in excess of 400mph. Level and allow speed to bleed down to exactly 400mph IAS...do a 3G pull up into the straight vertical. Hold zoom until it becomes impossible to hold the craft in the zoom. Note the highest altitude regained. (Note: In a pure vertical zoom like this, the G meter will be at zero, the craft *will* be unloaded.)

Using this test, the P-47D-40, F4U-1A, P-51D, and the SpitXVI all zoom back up to about 6,200-6,500. The plane that has an edge clearly enough to be seen in these tests is the P-38, from which I can usually get 6,700-7000. And this probably has as much to do with neutral torque as any other factor.

In AHII, the heavier airplanes do not nessecarily outzoom the lighter ones with advantageous power loading co-alt co-e. And in the real world, wouldn't zoom climb also be a matter of mass/drag ratio along with thrust/weight, rather a matter of "weight" per se?

With dissimilar aircraft with very different attributes, say a P-47 and a Spit you can get interesting results. A light aircraft with a powerful engine might zoom just as high as a heavy aircraft, but the heavier aircraft will get there first. In this case the Spit is initially left behind by the P-47, but the Spit's better power to weight ratio allows it to hang by the prop for longer and thus "crawl" up on the P-47. This scenario invariably ends in a vertical HO as the P-47 rotates above the prop-hanging Spit and dives, both aircraft firing as they pass each other. The P-47 has then gained separation and an E advantage... If it survived the HO.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:24:15 PM by Die Hard »
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
Die Hard...
You are right that the all other factors being equal, the aircraft with more weight would zoom higher, in our idealized zoom climb test. However, actual combat conditions will involve more radical maneuvers pulling Gs, and E bleed under Gs will be heavier for the higher wing-loaded craft, all other factors being equal. So it is quite possible that your heavier-loaded Jug would NOT outrun the lighter one in the vertical, if the zoom came after some maneuvering.

This is probably the reason no one ever tried to improve zoom climb by armor-plating an entire aircraft, too much downside. :D
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2009, 03:42:22 PM »
That's just it... If flown right a P-47 (He 219 or whatever fast and heavy) should never have to pull more than 2-3 G's (except for getting the snap shot). Boom down, zoom back up; typical altmonkeying.

Edit: But with your name I guess you knew that! ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:47:33 PM by Die Hard »

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2009, 03:45:18 PM »
Die Hard I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I have a good handle on what the 110 can and can't do...

Ok. In your opinion what can and can't the 110 do?

-Gandhi

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2009, 03:52:26 PM »
Right, I'm gonna go on one more tangent that would take pages to answer that open ended question, when the 219 discussion isn't even done.
FYI the 47 is about as bad as the A8 for zooming. They are both outclassed unless they manage to not be interrupted in their zooms.  Now, give that P47 a target area the size of the 219...   The A-20 is a much better analog.  That inertia works both ways.  The A20 isn't something you can afford to be caught slow in. You're dead meat, the same way you're dead meat in a 110 if you let the fight slow down to where other lighter planes can just walk away. Horizontally, and especially vertically.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:56:15 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2009, 04:04:17 PM »
The 219 discussion was over long ago, you're just not accepting it.

The A-20 is also one of those killer surprises if flown light and right: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV6Ue2bAnO8

-Gandhi

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2009, 04:06:45 PM »
That's just it... If flown right a P-47 (He 219 or whatever fast and heavy) should never have to pull more than 2-3 G's (except for getting the snap shot). Boom down, zoom back up; typical altmonkeying.

Edit: But with your name I guess you knew that! ;)

Nah, "BnZ" is just a punchier call sign than "Climbing Spiral Roper"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2009, 04:10:19 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 03:48:24 PM by Skuzzy »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »
Nah, "BnZ" is just a punchier call sign than "Climbing Spiral Roper"

Let me guess... 109 driver? ;)

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2009, 04:17:12 PM »
Die Hard I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I have a good handle on what the 110 can and can't do...

Let's try this again...

Ok. In your opinion what can and can't the 110 do?

-Gandhi