Author Topic: Rivers & Capturable Bridges  (Read 9222 times)

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
Re: Rivers & Capturable Bridges
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 10:38:55 PM »
Use the bridge for what?

Hehe... to drive your tanks across so you can get to the good stuff on the other side.

***G3-MF***

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 07:20:59 AM »
I believe I could build this for you in a custom terrain.  Of course, we need head to head back to get some use out of it.  As far as an official AH map, work by HTC needs done first.  There is a problem with the rivers (always has been) and a bug where if you drive a PT under a bridge, it kills the PT's engines.  Like I said, I can build this for you, but we need H2H back to use it.

:huh  Hehe... just saw this.  Yeah, I was playing around with the map editor last night, and most of this could be done.  But, for the bridges to be realistic, we need to be able to go under them.  We need HTC to fix that, and to do some official maps with these features on them. 

***G3-MF***

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 08:19:29 AM »
First, these are two great ideas.  :aok

My thoughts on:

I would have a Vehicle Base behind the lines with spawns spaced around the bridge areas. If the vehicle hangars are just across the river from each other, it would be too easy to carpet bomb the entire thing and take both sides with no opposition. Make it a long trip for the buffs and keep it a good GV and CAS area.

Do both.  Give each side a Vehicle Base and/or troops at the Base Bridges, and add vehicle spawn points near the Bridge Bases from Vehicle Base(s) somewhere behind the Bridge Bases.

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 05:12:17 PM »
 :aok

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 10:53:49 PM »
 :rock GREAT IDEA!! I put this one up for teh best wish in awhile award.  :aok

+1  :pray
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline GreenEagle43

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dickweedhbg.com
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 11:07:31 PM »
yea this sounds aw-some..a tank battle trying to cross the bridge,or troops running to the other side.this could break up some airspace for those who like gv battles..wtg good thinking.

SKUZZY SOME GOOD THOUGHT WENT INTO THIS.SOMETHING TO ADD TO THE NEXT NEW PATCH O THE NEW UPGRADE.......
Recruiting Officer GrnEagle  DHBG
Dedicated to Bish Country. 16 YEARS of BOMBER SERVICE

AN Aces High BOMBER SQUADRON. www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 02:10:56 PM »
yea this sounds aw-some..a tank battle trying to cross the bridge,or troops running to the other side.this could break up some airspace for those who like gv battles..wtg good thinking.

SKUZZY SOME GOOD THOUGHT WENT INTO THIS.SOMETHING TO ADD TO THE NEXT NEW PATCH O THE NEW UPGRADE.......
Skuzzy has no authority over what goes into the building of maps, or at least that is what I remember.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Swatch

• Copper Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/rtcircus
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »
this would be an excellent replacement for the paired VBases that occur on some maps...

Definately well thought out and full of interesting possibilities.
OFFICIALLY AN AEROSPACE ENGINEER AS OF 1PM JUNE 13th!  Goodbye UC, you've been hell.

Proud member of the 364th CHawks, 383rd BG, formerly the RTC.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 02:25:26 PM »
yea, only thing problem i see is how to handle the auto ack and maybe add another vh. but a great freaking idea

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 03:47:22 PM »
very nice.....VH as in??? like a vh on a field that you can up from?? or like a VH from a flak start??

either way.... :aok +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »
Id like to hear HTC staff's opinion on this. See what they see wrong with it/ how plausible the idea is.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2009, 06:41:09 PM »
Hitech pitched in on a capturable bridge idea about a month back. Let me see if I can dig up the post.

Edit: Here we go:

I have always liked the idea of choke points. But issues that must be considered.

1. It is not very easy to make choke points for airplanes.
2. If done simply with a bridge , then planes have far to much advantage if they can destroy the bridge.
3. In general when people say (Then they MUST defend it) and go on to say how much fun they would have destroying it, the idea is very bad for game play, because defense mostly requires sitting around waiting and doing nothing, hence not fun.

But choke points for the ground war can create a very enjoyable fight.

HiTech

Alright, so the thread wasn't asking for capturable bridges. However, it was asking for bridges in hopes it would generate, "choke-points."
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:44:53 PM by Denholm »
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »
A possiable perk for capturing bridges would also being able to spawn across the river to an enemy base. IE A1 on the left side of the river and A2 on the right...both have the ability to spawn GVs to eachothers field BUT HOWEVER only the side that has the bridge can spawn across the river. If each side has one side of the bridge neither can spawn to eachothers field. The spawn point to the bridge from both fields still exist either way.

Food for thought

Option #1: Another perk with capturing the bridge is having an additional vehicle spawn from the bridge to the nearest enemy airfield. So along with the A1 being able to spawn to A2 the bridge will also have an additional spawn. Thats 2 spawn points with two different VH's.

Option #2: If a country chooses to ignore the bridge captures and goes ahead and captures A2, A2 will NOT be able to recieve supply from HQ because the bridge cuts off supply because the enemy holds the bridge.

It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 09:37:47 PM »
A possiable perk for capturing bridges would also being able to spawn across the river to an enemy base. IE A1 on the left side of the river and A2 on the right...both have the ability to spawn GVs to eachothers field BUT HOWEVER only the side that has the bridge can spawn across the river. If each side has one side of the bridge neither can spawn to eachothers field. The spawn point to the bridge from both fields still exist either way.

Food for thought

Option #1: Another perk with capturing the bridge is having an additional vehicle spawn from the bridge to the nearest enemy airfield. So along with the A1 being able to spawn to A2 the bridge will also have an additional spawn. Thats 2 spawn points with two different VH's.

Option #2: If a country chooses to ignore the bridge captures and goes ahead and captures A2, A2 will NOT be able to recieve supply from HQ because the bridge cuts off supply because the enemy holds the bridge.

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 10:14:06 PM »
Maybe for a preliminary try,have the AA factories,the training areas,the HQ,all have this set-up just before them,so that if someone captures a base which spawns into one of these targets,the side which got the base,will still have ONE more wall in which to get through to destroy these..