Author Topic: Rivers & Capturable Bridges  (Read 9179 times)

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
Re: Rivers & Capturable Bridges
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 01:16:34 PM »
Here's hoping this gets implemented. +1
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2009, 09:08:20 PM »
 :aok

Offline Castle51

• Copper Member
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2009, 09:38:23 PM »
I absolutely f%$king love this idea!  Its something that everyone (GV's, Buff's, Jabo's) can have some serious fun with.  Definitely two thumbs up for this one.    :aok :aok

Offline McDeath

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2009, 04:38:23 AM »
+1
great idea
Its something that everyone (GV's, Buff's, Jabo's) can have some serious fun with.
flying as                     
Voudou  III/JG11 BOG
71Sqn./USMC
When we are done with you, you are going to wish your Daddy pulled out early!
"Then throw caution to the wind, buy a one way ticket to furball city and pop

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2009, 05:45:25 AM »
I would love HTC get the rivers sorted for the next version of the terrain editor. I have hope as they are going to have to redo them anyway to match the rest of the new terrain.

I put some rivers into an earlier version of the MA terrain I'm working on, but had to delete them because of all the bugs. It had several spawn points where you had to cross the river over a bridge to reach the nearby base.

The only issue I can see about having two bases so close together would be someone spawning on one side and getting immediately pinged by the enemy AA across the river. The VH would need to be sheilded from the opposite bank by a small hill or something.

Assuming HTC do get the rivers working in the next version of the TE, it would be possible to implement this idea to a degree with existing objects, as the bridges are already in there. You could make a couple of V bases that would be captured by destroying a town rather than just killing the AA on the base. The towns would go either side of the river and the V bases a bit further back, so the AA could not reach the other base.

BTW, here's what rivers look like in the current version of AH:

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 05:58:05 AM by Greebo »

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2009, 01:42:11 PM »
this is one of the best ideas ive ever seen.....i see no reason why this shouldnt be presented to the AH staff, after all the worst they can do is say no  :aok

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2009, 12:09:19 PM »
+1 :rock :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2009, 12:40:56 PM »
Great idea, I read most of the posts but i might have missed this idea if someone already said it,sry im drunk, tomake these bridge bases important make it so you have to take it to use certain gv spawns to bases across the river. I this would please everyone, great furballs above the bridge, whirbels shooting from the town, bombers hitting important targets around the bridge(i think the bridge itself should be indestructable), and tank fights which would be like none other in the MA :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2009, 12:46:31 PM »
Yep, the bridge should be indestructible, otherwise it's bad for gameplay (ends the fight), and we don't want that.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2009, 01:05:47 AM »
btw USRanger i hate your avatar everytime i look at it i wanna take that tab out and put it on my shoulder :) :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2009, 01:38:28 AM »
Heres a thought as well on maps with bridges(if it ever happens). Make it a condition of victory to control a certain number of bridges.

This wish is awesome. This would add a different layer of gameplay that this game could use.

Great idea, I read most of the posts but i might have missed this idea if someone already said it,sry im drunk, tomake these bridge bases important make it so you have to take it to use certain gv spawns to bases across the river. I this would please everyone, great furballs above the bridge, whirbels shooting from the town, bombers hitting important targets around the bridge(i think the bridge itself should be indestructable), and tank fights which would be like none other in the MA :salute

I wouldnt make the bridges indestructable but have them on a really quick respawn.  :salute
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2009, 05:31:24 AM »
I'm a little late replying on this topic, but here it is;

Great wish! This must be the best wish I've seen since years.
And beautifull presentation aswell!

+1 on the wish
+1 on the presentation
+1 on the nicely photoshopped map
+3

This wish should be copied into anyone's signature  :aok

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2009, 07:40:25 AM »
Great idea. Particularly if used in combination with having the terrain effect ground movement speed as I suggested in a thread a couple of weeks ago.
this combination would provide a real reason for the bridges

One possible solution to the auto ack problem is to simply not have it.Instead, just have an over abundance regular  manned ack.  And use the auto puffy ack as that doesnt fire at anything below a certain alt anyway.
Another suggestion to the OP would be to move these manned ack positions next to the bridge back a bit and place buildings in front of them in such a manner that they could cover the bridge. Yet wouldnt be able to just sit there and blow away the other sides entire town and its counter part ack on the other side.
This could also be accomplished by leaving the ack as you placed it and just putting a sea wall up similar to what we currently have at the ports.

I'd also suggest making the town a little bit larger so that it cant be easily leveled in a single pass by a couple of bomber formations.
Orrrr
And this might not be a bad idea for towns in general.
Instead of having just square/rectangles of densely packed buildings. Start off with a densely packed core, Or more densely packed buildings near the bridge. and space the buildings farther apart the further away from the bridge/center of town so that to take down the town in its entirely. You cant just carpet bomb the place. Individual buildings have to be addressed.

More then one VH with spawns is a must I think. with at least 1 preferably a little outside the town with spawn points leading into it.
Other wise its just a matter of killing the ack and camping the VH until the town is down

I think we can resolve the PT issue of driving under the bridges simply by not having PT boat spawns in the bridge areas.
No reason to have them there anyway
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:44:23 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »

I think this is the crux of how bridges fit into a game play environment. They form part of a strategic road/logistic network. In the AH1 sense they are depots that can be captured or destroyed.

Who here remembers when we had depots?

On the Niemen terrain (jeez I’m old)the bridges were capturable and they were depots. They controlled (should strat be implemented) the supply of strat to fields.

Vehicle spawns never crossed bridges.

Even better if instead of spawn points we have spawn roads. The player just clicks on a point on a road coming from his field and that is where he spawns. These are also the logistic roads joining fields together.
Ludere Vincere

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »
I like this idea, we had a scenario about two years ago.
"Stalins fourth Front" this covered the battle between the ussr and findland
this was a gv war that had bridges the needed to be crossed and rivers that you used lnvt to get to cross if the bridge was destroyed. we had some real hard fought battles at these points, anyone remember this scenario.
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)