Author Topic: Rivers & Capturable Bridges  (Read 9181 times)

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
Re: Rivers & Capturable Bridges
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »
We had talked about making sure the auto guns dont shoot at each other, but it should be easy enough to make sure the manned guns are placed in such a way that they cannot hit any vital targets on the other side.  Either with some indestructible buildings, or hillside blocking their line of fire. 

The intent of the guns would have been to defend the bridge, not hammer the town on the other side... so they would have been pointed down the road on their side of the bridge, not across the river.  Putting objects that will block any effective fire against critical buildings should accomplish that.

Good input RMrider  :aok

***G3-MF***

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2009, 05:06:55 PM »
This idea kind of reminds me of that FSO in the battle of the buldge, now that was fun!

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2009, 06:23:02 PM »
How bout if you have a 'town' object that spans a river with a bridge across it, you have multiple bridges.  The 'main' bridge is indestructable, but perhaps two or 3 bridges that are fully destructable (and regen in about the same time frame as a hanger)  Obviously a fair amount of damage would be needed to take down bridges... more than a hanger, but less than HQ (obviously).
That's a good idea!

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2009, 08:18:23 PM »
Just put the manned ack *IN* a trench so they are forced to shoot above 5 degrees, dig a hole and have the ground just above level with the gun when its flat...problem solved
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2009, 08:21:43 PM »
Just put the manned ack *IN* a trench so they are forced to shoot above 5 degrees, dig a hole and have the ground just above level with the gun when its flat...problem solved

Only problem with that is that then it would be no good for defending against GV's... 

***G3-MF***

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
Only problem with that is that then it would be no good for defending against GV's... 

ok how about having a hill bordering the river IE:

TOWN1       RIVER        TOWN2
            ___        ___
_______/    \____/    \___________

The hills dont have to be high, just high enough to block the views of the guns
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:41:29 PM by Flipperk »
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2009, 08:42:34 PM »

___        ___

You forgot...

TOWN1      BRIDGE     TOWN2
            ___/----\___
                 RIVER

:D  But yea... that would work

***G3-MF***

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2009, 08:46:27 PM »

___        ___

The hills dont have to be high, just high enough to block the views of the guns

levees?
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »
Could use some of those arty people been wishing for in towns  :rock
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2009, 07:23:36 AM »
Manned guns in the towers at either end of the bridge? Well, of course!  Would they be able to hit the other side of the river? Well, of course they would!  To me its a simple question, if it could be used that way in reality, then it should be that way in the game...    I guess players would have to pay attention then, wouldn't they?  In the military, what is your first general order?    Answer, "I will quit my post, only when properly relieved!!!"  In plain english, that means that you have to pay attention, or the enemy will take advantage of your ineptitude.... Stand your post troop!!! or get stomped on!!!   Its the way of warfare!!!
Seriously, these bridges would serve to focus the fighting in the game, vital targets always do!!!!

Indestructable bridges? OMG, your kidding right?  Take a great idea, and ruin it!!!  Honestly, if ya don't want them to cross? And ya don't have the forces to keep them out?   DEMO THE BRIDGE!!!! Make them rebuild it,
or wait the 45mins till it pops!!!  Hell, the defensive "Hero Play" would be to dump the bridge into the drink, while its crowded with badguys, LOL!!!
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2009, 08:02:43 AM »
Rip think about what you say for a minute.

This statement sums most of it up.

Make them rebuild it,

Change it to
Make RipChord929 rebuild every time 2 bomber pilots want to kill your fun. And see if you think the same.

HiTech

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2009, 08:03:51 AM »
I would!

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
I would!    Why push the easy button!

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2009, 08:39:27 AM »
HT, I'm not thinking of having preset demo charges on the bridge, that would be too easy as well!!! (even tho that WOULD be the case in reality) I was thinking more of an engineer/pioneer function based on Halftrack vehicles... This would allow demo, but also give the attackers a chance to prevent demolition of their prize...
Such as a PioneerPanzerWagen carrying demo or bridge supplies... Roll onto the bridge, drop your demo, back off the bridge, find a hiding place, and wait... If the Redguys find and kill ya, NO MO DEMO!!!

Of course the Bombers would clobber the bridge, thats what they are supposed to do!!! Especially if the bridge had a strategic function in the game.. Example: If the bridge is down, supplies are cut to all captured bases on the enemy side of the river.. So fuel and ammo is limited to 25% until the bridge is repaired.. That would guarantee LOTS of attn, LOL!!!  Thats the whole point, to focus the fight, and give a new tactical situation to the game, right?  Or did I miss the point of the bridge completely?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:20:52 AM by RipChord929 »

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »
The idea does interest me, but making the bridge destroyable would be a bad idea.

HiTech

It's just too easy to bomb accurately in AH with a fleet of heavies. 

If we had targets that required precision bombing perhaps dive bombers would get some use? Light bombers diving in to take something out? 

As it easy a few P-47s (or one) or a group of Lancs fills the role dive bombers and light bombers had. 

Sakai
"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."