Author Topic: Pedals  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Pedals
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »
I have jumped the track on my Saitek ones so many times that I only have 1 screw in each corner so I can get it fixed quickly.  Sucks when it happens in FSO.

I've never had that happen with my Ch setup.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »
I can't complain bout the X52 I have, but I will make my next rudder pedals out the sensors of this one and an erector set (if i dont burn them first)  before buying another Saitek.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »
 :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 11:51:51 PM »
I'm still getting used to my pedals too. I've had them a week or so now.

I agree that pushing right/yawing right seems unnatural.

And I did think about the Green MAchine; as well as that old, old, Battlezone arcade game.......thought the pedlas would go the other way.

Anyway, I'm leaving them as is; in case I have to take the controls of an airliner someday :-)

The problem I'm having right now, is I'm hardly using the rudder at all any more.

I have to think about using rudder.....it's  just not instinctual yet.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:53:22 PM by Boxman »

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 11:55:27 PM »
The problem I'm having right now, is I'm hardly using the rudder at all any more.

I have to think about using rudder.....it's  just not instinctual yet.
That happened to me for a couple of months after I got my pedals. You really have to relearn how to use the rudder all together... eventually you'll start using rudder as you used to again.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 12:20:55 AM »
Since the OP's been answered, I'll risk an OT-ish question.. In general, is it difficult to invert a real plane's rudder pedals?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 12:35:36 AM »
Not really, some planes had rudder controls reversed... the Starfighter comes to mind.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 12:38:05 AM »
Since the OP's been answered, I'll risk an OT-ish question.. In general, is it difficult to invert a real plane's rudder pedals?

Cables for the old which might have been harder to switch than the hydraulic lines of the new i would imagine. If right ped pressure makes you go right and is standard on all planes why would you want to switch them?

For the game though, there is the option.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 01:06:01 AM »
Cables for the old which might have been harder to switch than the hydraulic lines of the new i would imagine. 

I disagree with you, the cables are already running side by side from the tail to the cockpit. It should be simple enough to reverse, not sure why you would want to tho...

Like I said, the only plane I know of that had reversed rudder controls was the F104 Starfighter.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 01:10:59 AM »
Just feels more natural to me to have the nose follow my feet's push rather than go against them; I'm weird I guess.   Thanks.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 01:23:32 AM »
nah moot  i was like  :huh  when i saw the OP,  is he stupid   oh wait.   :)

push right = go right for me. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 11:30:47 AM »
Not really, some planes had rudder controls reversed... the Starfighter comes to mind.

Not sure where you got your information from.  If you check online and the controls were very much conventional.  You pressed with your right foot on the right rudder peddle for Right rudder. I checked with an airforce friend of mine that flew F104's through the 60 and F4 in Vietnam.  I would be very interested in seeing any documentated information that you may have that states otherwise.  There are many pages of information available including operating manuals that show the aircraft controls are conventional online. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 03:53:54 PM »
nah moot  i was like  :huh  when i saw the OP,  is he stupid   oh wait.   :)

push right = go right for me. 

That's not very nice Bruv, you must not of understood the reasoning behind why someone might invert the peds.

It's directly associated with learned childhood behavior coupled with the chair and type of peds I now use. I'll type slow and use illustrations to make it easy for you to comprehend the reasoning.

The controls work like a , same as the controls of many games like previously played in my youth, some of which had pedals. Add that with some helicopter games and learning how to drive one of these plus my first two jobs operator and operator and it should be easy to see I've been programmed to think backwards. Now couple all that knowledge with sliding CH peds  and the type of chair I use while playing (which swivels slightly in the opposite direction that i push the peds) and it should all come together as to why I have felt more comfortable inverting MY ped controls right from the start.

Now who are you to tell me I'm stupid for thinking this way. :lol ;)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »
In most light aircraft it could be done, however, it would be against the law.  FAR's are very strict about aircraft rigging.  You would never get past an annual inspection.   There have been times when aircraft controls by accident have been switched.  Some returned safely to earth, others did not.  I spent my youth flying as a banner tower in a converted J3 with a 150HP lycomming engine instead of the usual 65hp.

For winter storage the aircraft were drained of fuel and oil,  then stood on their noses in an old barn in Colts Neck New Jersey.  they could fit all five aircraft in one area of the barn.  When spring came and the banner towing operation got ready for the new season the aircraft would be taken out of the barn washed, waxed and made ready for the season.   As luck would have it a new A&E was hired and he did the annual inspections on the aircraft.  For some reason, he reversed the cables on the ailerons, and a new low time smart assed commercial  pilot (me) didn't do a through preflight. 

Colts Neck airport was a grass field with corn fields all around it. 2400 feet  long, 124 feet AGL  The only good thing was that the big engine on the J3 with very little fuel got you in the air very fast, as soon as I was air born I knew I was in trouble.  I cut the power and tried to use rudder to maintain directional control.  I ended up off the runway to the left and took out a few rows of corn.  I was still on the airfield property and as soon as I realized I was alive, safe and no damage to the aircraft, I went looking for the A&E.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:35:28 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 06:18:18 PM »
Ouch.. scratch that idea then..
Hello ant