Author Topic: What's a "rope, fake rope?".  (Read 5081 times)

Offline onan

• Copper Member
What's a "rope, fake rope?".
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:31:17 AM »
Hi guys.
Noob question on terms.
Can you tell me what a rope is?  I heard one guy say "setting up a rope" and another say
"setting a fake rope".

Have been flying P47-D-11

Thanks

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: What's a "rope, fake rope?".
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 06:07:09 AM »
There's lots of ways to set it up, but a rope is where you get the bandit to stall out beneath you, and then you drop down and kill him.  You've probably done this without knowing its name.

The basic idea is to give the impression that your pursuer has enough energy to follow you into a climb and shoot you.  Sometimes he will have enough energy to get close, but the extremely low speed at the end of a vertical climb should leave him unable to aim.  At the top of your own climb, nose high, you do a quick 180 about 1000 yards above the bandit, sometimes back off the throttle or use some flaps (it all depends on the airfcraft and situation), and shoot him dead while he's floundering.

I'm not clear on what a fake rope is.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 06:19:50 AM »
A fake rope sounds like you go up, but with no intention to kill the con.  I'm not sure why anyone would wish to do that.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:39:45 AM by thrila »
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 07:01:13 AM »
a rope is a rope.  Usually setting up a con for your wingman to kill.  if you climb up straight make sure the enemy cannot catch you .

A fake rope i would say is more disguising the amount of energy you really have by spiral climbing or just not climbing straight up vertical.  Basically encouraging the enemy con to come up and have a go when you then pull up even higher and then roll in for the kill.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 08:03:03 AM »
Back in the olden (Air Warrior) days we used to use the more complete name "Rope a dope". The term has become abbreviated to "rope".

-Peabody-

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:08:20 AM »
There's lots of ways to set it up, but a rope is where you get the bandit to stall out beneath you, and then you drop down and kill him.  You've probably done this without knowing its name.

The basic idea is to give the impression that your pursuer has enough energy to follow you into a climb and shoot you.  Sometimes he will have enough energy to get close, but the extremely low speed at the end of a vertical climb should leave him unable to aim.  At the top of your own climb, nose high, you do a quick 180 about 1000 yards above the bandit, sometimes back off the throttle or use some flaps (it all depends on the airfcraft and situation), and shoot him dead while he's floundering.

I'm not clear on what a fake rope is.

and i think the key is to let him close enough to think he has a shot at you........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 08:22:41 AM »
Thanks for the info'.   :aok

I've been killed many times for following guys up, thinking I can get guns on.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:55:30 AM »
judging your 'E' state and your enemies will take awhile,

Planes like the niki, a6m5, ki84 , spit 16 can all climb up vertically really well so if your flying a fat bellybutton jug or pony you have to be very careful.

Be sure your hauling some serious speed advantage before going vertical with any of the above

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »
judging your 'E' state and your enemies will take awhile,

Planes like the niki, a6m5, ki84 , spit 16 can all climb up vertically really well so if your flying a fat bellybutton jug or pony you have to be very careful.

Be sure your hauling some serious speed advantage before going vertical with any of the above

VS MY P38J, i've had all but the 84 drop before i did. the key is to not misjudge their speed. i've never fought an 84 yet.

i tend to keep my eye on them, and if i see em lift their nose for a shot, i pull a little steeper, forcing them to do the same....this is what generally seems to screw em up.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:20:01 PM »
VS MY P38J, i've had all but the 84 drop before i did. the key is to not misjudge their speed. i've never fought an 84 yet.

i tend to keep my eye on them, and if i see em lift their nose for a shot, i pull a little steeper, forcing them to do the same....this is what generally seems to screw em up.

yea i forgot to mention the B38  two engines = cheating.  :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 12:30:03 PM »
yea i forgot to mention the B38  two engines = cheating.  :D
:rofl :rofl

it's not "cheating". it's "improvising"  :aok

i should add though, that should you use the 38, and misjudge their speed.....you're a REALLY large target haningin up in front of them.  :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 10:01:58 PM »
I have huge trouble capitalizing on the 38's vertical capabilities. On defense, I can't really get anything done. I dive and run for a bit and when i try to reverse while they're still behind me I have to pull something like a spiral climb. Is there anything that can make my spiral climb better if the enemy has only slightly less E?

It seems to be the only maneuver that can just work against Spitfire VIII/IX/XVI in particular, though I still can't really catch the VIII/IX especially. I don't know whether it's a matter of spilling all mys speed quickly in the spiral or making them somehow lose some E before I initiate the climb...

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 10:06:32 PM by SgtPappy »
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 11:04:29 AM »
It seems to be the only maneuver that can just work against Spitfire VIII/IX/XVI in particular, though I still can't really catch the VIII/IX especially. I don't know whether it's a matter of spilling all mys speed quickly in the spiral or making them somehow lose some E before I initiate the climb...

Trying to outclimb a Spit VIII or XVI is not going to end well.  Heck, I've had trouble out climbing those two planes in the 109K-4.  I wouldn't even consider it in the P-38, unless you're talking about starting with significantly more energy.

The way to beat the Spitfires in the P-38 is to get the fight as slow as possible.  You want to make the fight a contest over who can best minimize their forward velocity, because that is one way in which the P-38s are clearly superior to the Spitfires.

For the sake of comparison:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:25:11 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 11:35:52 AM »
I love a good rope!  Against the hordes, this is a quite effective culling tool

Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 01:28:52 PM »
Ah thanks Anaxogoras. Perhaps it is more of a matter of learning how to have the 38 as a second skin; having a better feel for its handling qualities because I still feel like I lose control every now and then at really slow speeds.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.