Author Topic: P-63 King Cobra  (Read 14533 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: P-63 King Cobra
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 05:29:13 PM »
For the late war area this would be a great add. I love flying the P-39 but it's outclassed in the LWA for speed and climb, and not enough folks fly early and mid war to find a fair fight.
The LWA has the top of the like versions of most airframes 109K4, 190d9 &TA 152, P-51D, F4U F4, Spit 14, Tempest, La 7. and so on. It would be nice to thave the top of the line Airacobra as well. Bell aircraft deserve the 'cred'.

MW arena averages between 30 to 50 players each evening, not sure how you can't seem to find a fight during those hours.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 03:08:23 PM »
awwrgway Please do a little research before you speak. I am not gunna go find the multiple googleings and what not I looked at and read about the 39 and its prototype and how the belle company was basically bankrupt when they finnally were able to sell the 39 bringing them outta the gutter so please check it out you might enjoy the nice history of the 39. {Side Note I would love to get some of the modified 39's The russians went to town on the 39's suping them up and stuff with all sorts of stuff from minor to major like replacing the engine with something better}
The 39 got pimped out by some ^.^ it was a plane that got some personal loving.

My research shows the P-63 being dimensionally larger than the P-39, approximately 1500 pounds heavier and with a completely different wing and tail.

Bell didn't just take a bigger Allison and add a turbocharger and throw it into a P-39 airframe.

Yes, it was still mid-engined.  Yes, it still had the "car doors".  Yes it still had the 37mm cannon dominating the nose.  That's about where the similarities end.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »
My research shows the P-63 being dimensionally larger than the P-39, approximately 1500 pounds heavier and with a completely different wing and tail.

Bell didn't just take a bigger Allison and add a turbocharger and throw it into a P-39 airframe.

Yes, it was still mid-engined.  Yes, it still had the "car doors".  Yes it still had the 37mm cannon dominating the nose.  That's about where the similarities end.

wrongway

Turbocharger???? I think not.
See Rule #4

Offline Greziz

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 02:17:48 AM »
So you compared the p39 to the p63? I stated that the p39's prototype was closer to the p63 than the p39 ever was to the prototype.

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 06:49:48 AM »
The P-63 is not to the P-39D as the Spitfire Mk XIV is to the Spitfire Mk I or the Bf109K-4 is to the Bf109E-4.  It was an entirely new fighter that visually resembled the P-39, but shared no parts.  It also saw little, if any, combat.

I know for a fact that the Russians recieved one of the first batches of P-63's and used them extensively in the closing stages of WW2. So I think for the 39 Dweebs this would bring them into the game in the plane they love most.

+1  :aok
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 06:54:04 AM »
So you compared the p39 to the p63? I stated that the p39's prototype was closer to the p63 than the p39 ever was to the prototype.
In performance and overall appearance only. 
See Rule #4

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 06:55:32 AM »
I know for a fact that the Russians recieved one of the first batches of P-63's and used them extensively in the closing stages of WW2. So I think for the 39 Dweebs this would bring them into the game in the plane they love most.

+1  :aok
Some links or book quotes with the book title added would go a long way.
Don't ya think?
See Rule #4

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »
I can't help out on combat sorties but in terms of delivery, the Soviet Union received around 2400 P-63's before the end of the war (according to America's 100K).   
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 12:22:58 PM »
Great Planes said it never saw service  :bolt:
Since Tour 86 (Banshee7 since Tour 90)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 12:41:09 PM »
Funny how when the P-63 comes up, most seem to believe that the Soviets would honor their treaties.

I think there's enough evidence to make it likely that it saw combat against the Luftwaffe, and it's a legitimate aircraft to add to AH, but only after a long list of types that saw a lot more combat, e.g. Yak-1, Ki-43, Lagg-3, etc.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 02:19:30 PM »
Great Planes said it never saw service  :bolt:
It did.
See Rule #4

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 09:31:08 AM »
Really, how much action did the Tempest see? or the Typhoon? These were very late war and what action they saw has never made it into any account of the war I've seen. In other words, one would have to dig far into the bowels of the internet to find the battle history of the Tempest or the Typhoon, and yet the are all over the LW arena in proportions that far outpaced their real world impact. Concidering that the Russians used the P-63 and killed Germans with it, I say good enough. Let's give the Bell fans and the Airacobra fans something to play with in the late war.
As for all these "I heard the plane sucked, and wasn't as good as the P-39" references, I say that you can't judge a plane's arena performance by it real war reputation. The P-63C model had 1800 hp and a top speed of 420mph. That's a HUGE improvement. Even if it weighs 1500 lbs more, that's only a 15% weight increase which should be more than made up for by the 70% hp increase. Doesn't that sound like fun?! :aok
Who is John Galt?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 09:40:38 AM »
Uh, the Typhoon was seeing combat as early as, what, 1942?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 10:14:33 AM »
Uh, the Typhoon was seeing combat as early as, what, 1942?

seriously, I have never seen a single show, Great planes, Aircombat, Dogfights, Wings, or any other show on the history channel, or the Military channel, that cronnicles the success of the Typhoon in ww2, or the Tempest, or the Ki61, and yet they are in the game, probably having much more success than they ever did in real life. For god sakes the Breuster is in the game because a hand ful of Fins flew it against...rheindeer.

In my opinion the P-63 should rate a gameworthy, since the only real requirement seems to be that it was available during the war and the folks playing the game want it in the game.

what would it hurt to have it in there? why note just vote yes?

I vote yes!
Who is John Galt?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 11:52:50 AM »
seriously, I have never seen a single show, Great planes, Aircombat, Dogfights, Wings, or any other show on the history channel, or the Military channel, that cronnicles the success of the Typhoon in ww2, or the Tempest, or the Ki61, and yet they are in the game, probably having much more success than they ever did in real life. For god sakes the Breuster is in the game because a hand ful of Fins flew it against...rheindeer.

In my opinion the P-63 should rate a gameworthy, since the only real requirement seems to be that it was available during the war and the folks playing the game want it in the game.

what would it hurt to have it in there? why note just vote yes?

I vote yes!

Here's a little hint for you...

Those TV shows? Incomplete to the extreme.

Ki-61 saw significant action in the South Pacific until Allied bombing destroyed the plants manufacturing its engines. It's just not a Zero, so no one talks about it.

The Typhoon saw significant action in Western Europe, particularly in ground-attack roles. It's just not a Spitfire, so no one talks about it.

The Tempest appeared relatively late in the war, but still saw significant action in Western Europe, particularly hunting down 262s. It's just not a P-51, so no one talks about it.

There is NO comparison between the Typhoon and Ki-61--and even the Tempest--and P-63. At least the other three have more than vague recollections and spotty evidence of having seen combat.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.