Author Topic: Surviving the MA lonewolf  (Read 6337 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Surviving the MA lonewolf
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2009, 04:01:58 PM »
Further comment on Lonewolf Survival:

On-the-Deck egress : there frequently comes a time in my 190A8 when I'm out numbered - can't out turn them - spits- zekes - can't out climb them - 109's - can't out accelerate them - P51's/47's -  when cornered low and slow in my 190A8 I'll fly LOW - 10'-50' - looking UP at the trees - you'll know when you are there - the ground which looks so smoothly toned will take on a "gravel" look to it - I've found MANY can't handle  flying so low without frequently climbing up to 400-500 or so - thereby loosing ground on me and with time allowing me to escape to reset. I make a point of flying  around objects - below them - if the enemy wants to follow they usually fly over it - loosing ground - AND lots of times they auger!!! :lol

Something else I've found - if you can keep (through E management) a superior plane on your 6 back at least 800 or so - they frequently loose patience after 30 - 50 seconds of pursuit - <shrug> break off -even tho they could have in a minute or 2 easily caught me - too many of them are of the NOW generation  hehehhe

just a few suggestions

....cheers eh!

I agree. This goes with what i post regularly about not ever giving up. When you think your about done.. you hear a boom as one of the 5 cons on you augers..... another boom as one rolls past your guns..... then another as you introduce him to your wingman... the tree. Things can change fast when you least expect it. When your prepared (flying low n slow alot) and they are not (they consider alt their friend).
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2009, 04:27:28 PM »
Hey get off my back.... I have a PHD in BS  :P

Flying at 6 to 10k "is" considered low in MAs. I agree. It is just considered high to some of us.

I personally just prefer fighting a group of red guys low and enjoying the limping flight back to land knowing I accomplished something.

As for the pony turning.... on the rare occassion when I fly one in the DA it turns very well. Again that is just a difference in our type of flying.

I love you, man.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2009, 04:35:29 PM »
 :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2009, 06:46:50 PM »
I enjoyed reading this thread. I like the perpendicular attack on the main fight idea in the first post.

I would not waste to much energy worrying about who is more brave because of their game play style.

YOU ARE ALL DWEEBS AND ALWAYS WILL BE!

with that being said...

I am an adrenalin junkie and the highest adrenalin rush i can get from this game occurs when streaking with a high kill tally and no deaths...

but if luck goes against me and that lancaster drone warps into my face, or better yet my own cv puffy flak explodes me as i close in on a bomber about to sink the cv (this happens a lot lol) I resort to a combination of more traditional antics such as blatant sneakiness of shooting unsuspecting dweebs from their low 6 just as i would when trying to survive at all costs before that first death...

then maybe ride a nub typhoons arse dogfighting them in a c47 while an m3 takes their port...

or blatant toolshedding in a b25 duking it out with a 262 for kicks (I survived but they were only crippled and left to rtb)...

or take in an fm2 on the deck and waste a cloud of spitfires with ease after they clobbered my tbm

i tend to gravitate towards being a survivalist after regularly sampling every playstyle from circle dweebing to toolsheddign to generally running amok.

something about the whole trip... there and back again appeals to me...

its an immersion thing.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:40:00 PM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »
I enjoyed reading this thread. I like the perpendicular attack on the main fight idea in the first post.

I would not waste to much energy worrying about who is more brave because of their game play style.

YOU ARE ALL DWEEBS AND ALWAYS WILL BE!

with that being said...

I am an adrenalin junkie and the highest adrenalin rush i can get from this game occurs when streaking with a high kill tally and no deaths...

but if luck goes against me and that lancaster drone warps into my face I resort to a combination of more traditional antics such as blatant sneakiness of shooting unsuspecting dweebs from their low 6 just as i would when trying to survive at all costs before that first death...

then maybe ride a nub typhoons arse dogfighting them in a c47 while an m3 takes their port...

or blatant toolshedding in a b25 duking it out with a 262 for kicks (I survived but they were only crippled and left to rtb)...

or take in an fm2 on the deck and waste a cloud of spitfires with ease.

i tend to gravitate towards being a survivalist after regularly sampling every playstyle from circle dweebing to toolsheddign to generally running amok.

something about the whole trip... there and back again appeals to me...

its an immersion thing.

Fester is always a great fight. I just hate having to take a muscle relaxant afterward so I can remove my hand from the joystick. :lol

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2009, 09:44:04 PM »
Good thread!

I myself have always tended to gravitate towards Shuffler's view of fighting due to the fact that in the Orange or Blue arenas where I pretty much fly Spits V, VIII & IX exclusively, you do not have the luxury of being able to egress & engage at will. You are forced to either fight your way out of an engagement (meaning kill the con) or make yourself as tough of an opponent to the point that the attacker will break off & egress leaving you the option of doing the same.

You WILL learn in this environment & the side benefit is that you will ALWAYS get into a fight 'cause as soon as the cons realize that you're tooling around in a crate that they believe that they have the advantage over they WILL engage you-guaranteed.

I LIKE it when I am getting jumped!

:D
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2009, 09:58:07 PM »
spit IX isn't really a "crate". Its a pretty good bird, and I fly it if I'm going to fly a spitfire.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2009, 11:56:49 PM »
i find the idea that it takes more skill to kill than it does to not get killed pretty suspect.

there are lots of levels you can operate on in these games. 

i prefer to eat and am quite happy to leave the getting eaten to those operating on that level.

+S+

t
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2009, 08:15:49 AM »
Heres the thing people don't realize...flying, shooting, and situational ASSESSMENT aren't all the same skill.

Success in the MA is more about the latter two than the kind flying skill that can make someone a feared duellist, quite honestly. Even if you are a real hair-afire plunge into a sea-of-red type furballer, your success at that will be largely based on being able to kill that bandit who just made a mistake and got in front of your 3/9 *instantly*, instead of having to chase him around for awhile during which time you get picked.

i find the idea that it takes more skill to kill than it does to not get killed pretty suspect.

there are lots of levels you can operate on in these games. 

i prefer to eat and am quite happy to leave the getting eaten to those operating on that level.

+S+

t
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2009, 08:36:43 AM »
Many times you have to chase an individual around in a furball.. The trick is not getting hit by another in the furball or by a high bird not in the fight coming through picking. Being able to keep reasonable pressure on the chosen con in the middle of the dance floor, all the time staying out of other cons guns that are in close and personal. You don't have seconds to think about your next move in there. Your cartoon flying has to become instinctive. That is what gets my adrenaline pumping.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2009, 11:43:57 AM »
Many times you have to chase an individual around in a furball.. The trick is not getting hit by another in the furball or by a high bird not in the fight coming through picking. Being able to keep reasonable pressure on the chosen con in the middle of the dance floor, all the time staying out of other cons guns that are in close and personal. You don't have seconds to think about your next move in there. Your cartoon flying has to become instinctive. That is what gets my adrenaline pumping.

yup, what he said

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2009, 01:21:12 AM »
A few other nuggets of whizdumb from an age (and player) long past:

Know when so say when. Loners often stick around for "one more burst" to score a kill and that's often what does them in. Be disciplined, don't get your ego wrapped up in it when flying solo, and have faith that the guy you just shot may be a dweeb and crash anyway.

The reverse gang-bang works too. You're cruising along at 20K and see 3 or 4 whatevers heading your direction, climbing out at 12K. The natural thing is to not engage at such bad odds. But ... those 3 or 4 enemas don't expect you attack either. Odds are they see you and think they're safe in a pack, and are back to talking about sheep. So if you do roll in, there's a decent chance that someone in that group isn't paying attention. Few things will tick someone off more than seeing their wingman blow up right in front of them like that (or not being warned of the 190 barreling in at Warp 5).

Watch the enemas and spot the grapes. There are some predictable behaviors that you'll learn to spot over time. Furballers will turn and burn at anything in range. BnZ'ers will do what you expect. But there is another level. For instance, a BnZ'er will often do some recon around a combat area to look for a likely (i.e. wounded) target. They'll go into a shallow climb (to build more alt but keep speed) and will appear to be just cruising along - which they are - looking for something to pounce on. When you see that flight profile, you've found a potential grape. That plane, once he commits to his attack run, will not be paying much attention to what's behind him, because he has so much speed going in. He doesn't know you're stalking him. You can get him two places - one is to wait for his dive and pull in behind as he gets into guns range, the other is to go into a shallow dive and head for where he's going to pull up and regain E.

Be everyone's wingman. As a lone wolf you have no responsibilities to protect anyone else, but that doesn't mean you can't adopt that role on a larger scale. For instance, your countrymen are in a furball below you, even odds, yadda yadda. You're cruising above looking for supper. You will likely be one of the first to see enema reinforcements inbound, since you're not engaged. If you try to engage 3 or 4 or 5 inbounds in a prolonged fight, odds are you die. But ... who says you actually need to engage to be of help? Make one high speed run, and they have to scatter. What does that accomplish? The enema have now burned some E and/or alt plus they're not in a tight pack anymore - plus their arrival at the fight is delayed. Now when these reinforcements engage, you also won't have to worry about they getting up to your E level - so you've also kind of set the table for yourself too.

Don't be greedy. Lets take the above example one step further. You take a couple runs at those inbound enemas and, in the meanwhile, the friendlies have prevailed and are now ready to take on new business. So, use the Gangbang Effect to your teams advantage. Make a high speed run on the enemas, and stay low and fast. They'll swing around and start to chase you most of the time ("Hey, he dove into a 4-on-1, what a dweeb."). Let them. Let them chase you below where your countrymen are waiting. You may not get as many kills this way, but a good loner scout can really make an impact.

Practice Escape Evasives. If you're a lone wolf, you're going to get into a lot of situations where you need to Run Away - either because of low ammo, low fuel, damage, or too many enemas. Most people know how to break off and get out of guns range, but the rest of that flight home is as often as not where you die. You have to be smooth so as not to burn E when trying to run. Roll the plane and let it naturally turn - let the guys chasing you pull elevator and burn E. If other enemas roll in, expect them to try to turn hard and latch on. A subtle move is often all you need to ruin their shot but keep on moving. And learn to use the terrain - flying along the face of a hill/mountain can often be an escape mechanism if the other guys hasn't practiced as much as you and digs in a wingtip. Picking a plane with a big WEP reserve helps here, as does not wasting WEP in combat - save it for the run home. Another good escape move is the low-alt inverted loop - you're on the deck, being chased by a baddie - head into a 30-45 degree power climb - he'll follow and close a little - when you're at the right altitude, snap-roll and pull back and loop back the way you came. You have to know just how far you can push it and not auger (practice, practice, practice) - the guy following will see you suddenly disappear below his nose and will usually try to follow - often planting himself in the process. If he doesn't follow - if he zoom's to catch you on the way out - you're in deep brown stuff - unless he augers trying to zoom you on the deck.

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2009, 02:28:14 AM »
I'll never think of the "ENEMA" in the same way again   :aok
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
A few other nuggets of whizdumb from an age (and player) long past:

The good things in life never change.  Fine advice as always, DoK.

- oldman

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2009, 12:15:42 PM »
And when in doubt: DiKta GonZo

Almost 15 years later those rules still apply.