Author Topic: IL2 vs ACES HIGH....  (Read 15948 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: IL2 vs ACES HIGH....
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 06:31:13 PM »
Dang, I hate it when I agree with Krusty.  ;) :D

Funny, I didn't even read his post but I read all of the others in this thread. ;)

FYI, as for the B-29, in Il-2 any aircraft can be given the markings of any country.  So you can have a Spit with German crosses, or a P-51 with Japanese meatballs, etc.  It's not actually a feature of the aircraft skins themselves.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 06:33:31 PM »
I enjoy the "small company" feel to HTC.   They take care of any "messes" that occasionally happen and ENCOURAGE feedback on Bugs, etc.

+1

Further, we have a great Air Racing League, Massive Squad Op Night, Snapshots, Historic Scenarios, and A WWI ARENA COMING!!!

AH2 = :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 06:36:03 PM »
I definitely agree with Krusty on the stall behavior. In Aces High I'll be in a maneuver and suddenly one wing starts to drop without much warning (particularly alarming when you're in a right-hand turn and all the sudden the plane is snapping over to the left). I've never experienced this in Il-2. The plane just sort of slowly falls off to one side (as much as some people say the Corsair's stall is too docile in Aces High, I HAVE spun her a number of times. I've NEVER spun a Corsair in Il-2, and I fly her the same in both games). In fact, I've never even been able to snap-roll in Il-2, in any aircraft. As soon as I try the plane's nose sort of pitches up slightly for a moment and drops.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 06:41:33 PM »
Sax, you and I must be playing different games.  That's all I can say to explain it.

What version are you describing?

Edit: I've watched my son spin just about every aircraft in Il-2. :lol
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 06:45:42 PM »
Definetley show your friend all the organized events we have online.

I've also heard someone complain that there isn't any reason to fly above like 7k in IL2, which sounds like a shame and a limitation compared to AH..
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 06:56:11 PM »
Dang, I hate it when I agree with Krusty.  ;) :D
You can be shot for that FYI  ;)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »
You can be shot for that FYI  ;)

Yipe!!!  :bolt:
See Rule #4

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 07:00:20 PM »
Thanks for the input guys !
I will point out this thread for him to read...
I'm anxious to see what will be his responces/comments

Thanks again !
 :salute

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 09:25:40 PM »
I find it funny when folks claim the IL2 flight model is the one with "unique" qualities for each plane. Clearly every plane has the same stall, spin, and mush behavior. The airspeed at which these happen might vary slightly from plane to plane, but they all fly exactly the same when you get to that point.

Even the P-38s (no torque) had torque and spins for quite a while before Oleg got off his butt and hard-coded a fix for it (meaning he faked the results, rather than coded in the real effect).

Taking off in IL2 I never had a problem ever. Even with no engine and serious battle damage you can land a plane missing half its parts, most of a wing, a stabilizer, and roll to a safe stop without a sweat.

In AH I crashed repeatedly when I first started the game up and tried to take off. I moved in from WB, as well, which was fairly close to AH1. Flying in AH induces stalls, snap stalls, sudden wing drops, side skids, accelerated stalls, and many other things, on top of which each plane has different characteristics as to when it will snap stall or dip. 190 wings will snap before they'll mush, for example. You get a real sense for when a plane is bleeding E vs retaining E.

In IL2, the most you get is mush stalls and some accelerated stalls (more like accelerated mushes). I can't see how you claim AH is on rails when IL2 is nearly identical (thus IMO more to the definition of "on rails" ??). The only real difference are the way the game cues in stalls (the sounds and the head shake from vibrations). I think IL2 captured the sound better than AH's stall horn. But that's just trickery, not an actual flight model. It's just the sounds. Look past that and you won't be impressed.

So please define "on rails" when you say AH flies on rails. I've described how they fly in my own words, an why I feel that is inaccurate. I'd like to see if it's just the phrase "on rails" itself that's putting me off, or what.

Wow...  I actually agree with you this one... :banana:
Got the flight model spot on... :aok  I've always said it was mushy..  Slippery just doesn't define it..  Mushy is a lot more accurate.. 

I also don't like the way IL2 handles the sound portion of the game..  Even with the best soundpacks available, the sound engine itself doesn't
do a good sound of setting things up..  For instance, the higher pitched engine sounds are much too high and the lower pitch engine sounds are much too low..
You can actually hear steps in between pitch as well..  Not the smooth increase in rpm you hear in AH..
It doesn't do a good job at reproducing the doppler effect either.. 

My likes of the game are definitely the eye candy..  Some of the newer mods available almost change the look of the game entirely.. 
I like that the lead computing gunsight option(only available on historical aircraft) is actually the gunsight, not some X on the screen..
But again, even gunnery feels mushy..  It's just mushy..  All of it..  Except the graphics..  Those are a few steps ahead of AH..
But I think AH is better all around.. 
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 09:53:52 PM »
Aces High has the best package by far and development support.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 10:37:21 PM »
Sax, you and I must be playing different games.  That's all I can say to explain it.

What version are you describing?

Edit: I've watched my son spin just about every aircraft in Il-2. :lol

4.08m.

As I said, I even TRIED by executing a snap-roll (in an F4U, which should snap-roll like freakin' crazy). The thing just wouldn't kick over. She kind of mushed a bit, then nothing.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 12:40:11 PM »
coming from WB and thinking i would hate the view system in AH which sounded overly complicated and clumsy ...

i must say i like it much better than i thought i would ...

i don't think it is the totally perfect solution but it does offset the choice to use of opaque bars pretty well ...

kudos to HTC for a workable solution to the dilemma of the cyclops vs stereo vision and cockpit bars reality debate ...

Yeah, I still think letting you see the icon after the plane dot passes behind a frame might not be a bad idea. It gets annoying, especially in the 190. Unfortunately, Il2 does even worse things to the 190's forward view.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 12:53:07 PM »
Problems with Il2:

1. The viewing system is the worst. The snap-views are awkward, the "head" moves slowly, and you basically don't have rearward views. Fly an A-20 in AHII, don't use F3 or gunner view. That is about how much awareness of your six you can have in Il2 in *any* plane. TIR results in a great improvement, however, who wants a game that forces them to buy that piece of equipment?

2. I find the nose of the planes unstable and bouncy no matter what I do with trim and joystick adjustments.

3. Oleg has a beef with .50 cals apparently. The .50s are about as effective as the .30s in Il2. Its ridiculous. You can hose down Ki-43s and watch them fly on unharmed. OTOH, you DO get to shoot at a Ki-43...

4. The engine modeling is wonky. Let me put it this way...a P&W R-2800 ain't gonna fail after 15 minutes of balls-to-the-wall. Period. Having it do so is unrealistic. Hitech's solution is technically speaking, also "unrealistic"...limiting WEP usage to book limits, shutting it off automatically. Realistic engine modeling OTOH would effectively mean unlimited WEP for most powerplants. Virtual pile-its ain't concerned with the maintanence schedules.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »
Taking off in IL2 I never had a problem ever. Even with no engine and serious battle damage you can land a plane missing half its parts, most of a wing, a stabilizer, and roll to a safe stop without a sweat.

Does anybody really need to post pics of shot-to-hell SBDs missing half a wing coming in to safe landings in AH?

In AH I crashed repeatedly when I first started the game up and tried to take off. I moved in from WB, as well, which was fairly close to AH1. Flying in AH induces stalls, snap stalls, sudden wing drops, side skids, accelerated stalls, and many other things, on top of which each plane has different characteristics as to when it will snap stall or dip. 190 wings will snap before they'll mush, for example. You get a real sense for when a plane is bleeding E vs retaining E.

In IL2, the most you get is mush stalls and some accelerated stalls (more like accelerated mushes).

You, sir, are absolutely insane, or you're flying on baby difficulty, or perhaps your default stick settings are not giving you full control authority. I once ticked off my roomie because I erupted in a sudden blue streak of swearing so incensed and inspired it rivaled the eloquence of Homeric verse- all because I had ALMOST had a shot on a Zero in a high speed, hard turn right on the deck when my F4F Wildcat abruptly pushed a hair beyond her performance envelope and suffered a snap roll right into the #@^!*&$ waves. (My roomie had his prim Christian girlfriend over; but I've always maintained his irritability during that incident was due in part to other issues.  :banana: )

As I said, I even TRIED by executing a snap-roll (in an F4U, which should snap-roll like freakin' crazy). The thing just wouldn't kick over. She kind of mushed a bit, then nothing.

I have to echo Anax here in saying that you're playing a completely different game. When I first decided to experiment with snap-rolls, I read up on how to do them, (stick all the way back and hard right or left rudder,) started IL-2, hauled back on the stick while giving it hard right rudder, and promptly got a snap roll. The stall behavior of the P-39 is especially nasty, vis a vis historical examples; the snap roll becomes a flat spin in short order and you're boned. The one thing I DON'T like about that is that eventually they figured out why they P-39 did the flat spin (improper weight balancing in the forward gun compartment,) so it vexes me that later P-39 models still do that.

The IL-2 flight model is superb, and you people trying to insist that it's extremely sub-par to AH just mystify me.

But IL-2 does piss me off sometimes:

Problems with Il2:
1. The viewing system is the worst. The snap-views are awkward, the "head" moves slowly, and you basically don't have rearward views.

THIS. TEN THOUSAND TIMES.

The "rear views" have you looking at an angle on the side you're looking back at- which irritates me immensely because even a pilot strapped in his seat should be able to rubberneck enough for a straight-back view of his six. Turning on snap-view solves the slow head problem, but the padlock system will murder you, because when enemies are near the centerline of your plane the view will start flipping out back and forth like you're spastic or something; which makes me auger in when I'm locked in the scissors. TIR is indeed required to get any use out of it.

2. I find the nose of the planes unstable and bouncy no matter what I do with trim and joystick adjustments.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this. Some ships can be very stable right UNTIL you get ready to take your shot, at which point they start bouncing or fishtailing, making the shot with IL-2s realistic gunnery %^&@!# impossible.

3. Oleg has a beef with .50 cals apparently. The .50s are about as effective as the .30s in Il2. Its ridiculous. You can hose down Ki-43s and watch them fly on unharmed. OTOH, you DO get to shoot at a Ki-43...

My bugaboo is the KI-27 for some reason. For some reason, that HATEFUL ship is 1. seemingly impossible to get a steady bead on and 2. capable of soaking up way too much damage for an early war Japanese bird. I just hate it so much.

.50 caliber damage seems to be fine to me though. What I hate is that Russian aircraft are overmodeled, and the P-51 turns like a ruptured elephant on roller skates. (IL-2 shares ground with AH in this respect.) I am so fed up with this new "LOL MUSTANG CAN'T TURN" vibe going around with the sim developers. It makes me rage.

In short Oleg models the planes from the viewpoint of the russian's historical views of the planes named, with predictable results.

4. The engine modeling is wonky. Let me put it this way...a P&W R-2800 ain't gonna fail after 15 minutes of balls-to-the-wall. Period.

Did you open your radiator?  :rofl

Having it do so is unrealistic. Hitech's solution is technically speaking, also "unrealistic"...limiting WEP usage to book limits, shutting it off automatically. Realistic engine modeling OTOH would effectively mean unlimited WEP for most powerplants.

Actually, "most" powerplants did use water- or water-methnohol- injection to increase engine power. The water supplies carried on board were finite.

Early war birds tended to have the "boost" option as "redlining the throttle," i.e. pushing it past the safe "military power" settings for an extra ten pounds of boost, and the accompanying power.

One last gripe about IL-2- I've noticed that for some reason it's detection and calibration of my stick is random. I start the game, and enter the hardware menu to look at the joystick readouts. Half the time my rudder or aerilons detected position is way the heck out there from it's actual position. I have to restart the game once or twice till it detects it properly. I think that has caused me lots of problems with aiming instability; once I caught on my gunnery issues declined quite a bit.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:37:03 PM by Demetrious »

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 01:46:23 PM »
It has been a long while since I had IL2 on my HD.The only thing IL2 beats AH in is it's prettier.The flight model isn't that good,but who am I to question the reality of a airplane when I have never flown one.You would think some of the fellas in AH have flown some of these ol warbirds,the way they inform us all whilst playing the game.Gunnery is much harder in IL2,but then I'm a poor shot in AH.In RL I'm a excellent shot,go figure.The online IL2 is a real cluster---- imho.AH is the best overall flight sim I've been involved with,but Air Warrior is my choice for the most fun,and best crowd.I didn't care for Warbirds or Fighter Ace.Your friend will like AH and hopefully he will stick around.
ID