Author Topic: Third Tri-Annual Dueling Braket & Results  (Read 42651 times)

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
Re: Third Tri-Annual Dueling Braket & Results
« Reply #660 on: March 06, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
gf's bat and tony that 190 fight was fun to watch  :aok
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #661 on: March 06, 2010, 08:12:36 PM »
Damn wtg batfinkv.  Two of the best pilots going against each other right there.  It's a shame that only 2-3 fights decides who moves on.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #662 on: March 06, 2010, 08:20:04 PM »
Agreed.  I think 3 outta 5 would offer more of a competition.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #663 on: March 06, 2010, 08:49:30 PM »
Agreed.  I think 3 outta 5 would offer more of a competition.
Fight like that it needs to be atleast 10 rounds
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #664 on: March 06, 2010, 09:15:30 PM »
Fight like that it needs to be atleast 10 rounds

I haven't watched the films yet, but I'm sure it was a doozy. 
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #665 on: March 07, 2010, 09:46:01 AM »
Perhaps we could do it like the World Series next event?

Final Round, best out of seven...

Semi and Eighths, best out of five...

Sixteenths and before, best out of three...

Or something similar? Obviously once the first duel is on adding a duel or two would only add 5-10 minutes. The biggest challenge (I fall here) is just getting that first one in.

Strip

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #666 on: March 07, 2010, 10:35:34 AM »
Three is enough in my opinion. You gotta bring your A game to the first fight and that's how it should be. Seven fights and you start to adapt to each other, Three fights and it's just whoever plays it best on the day.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #667 on: March 07, 2010, 11:35:26 AM »
Three is enough in my opinion. You gotta bring your A game to the first fight and that's how it should be. Seven fights and you start to adapt to each other, Three fights and it's just whoever plays it best on the day.

Or who's warmed up more, or who makes an incredibly lucky shot to go up 1-0.  I bet the winner of the first fight wins these 3 match duels at least 90% of the time.  I think I've seen maybe 1-2 matchup where someone won fights 2 and 3 to win.  First guns first fight, if you hit your shot you win the entire match the majority of the time.   :lol
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:44:23 AM by grizz441 »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #668 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:16 AM »
I agree, the duels are too short.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #669 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
What is wrong with that? In boxing whoever gets the first knockout punch wins. In football the team with the best score at the end of the game wins. They don't say 'If we had another 30 mins we would have won'.
As for lucky victories, luck plays a part in any competition, why should a lucky shot not be considered a valid win? Anyhow, if what you suggest is true, that the first fight winner will win the match, then all you will see in seven round matches is mostly 4-0 results. Whats the point in that?

The way it stands now we have one random draw. If the result of that first fight is purely determined by the random plane choice, then the loser has round two to choose any plane they wish to even the score. If then the score goes 1-1 then the other person ahs their choice of plane. So one random draw and a possible one choice plane each. Nothing could be more fair.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #670 on: March 07, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »
I would like to see more fights and I do agree the winner of the 1rd. is normally the winner.  There was a few including myself against Phanta that I won the 2nd and 3rd but for the most part I do agree with Grizz.  I don't see a problem with upping the amount of fights and it would be more film to watch for the loser to improve and get better.  I would recommend that the first duels up until the quarters are best of 5.  Quarters and Semi's best of 7 and finals first pilot to win 5 rds.  I would also recommend that a plane can only be used for 1 rd.  This would find the pilots with the best ACM and not a pilot that has 1 plane mastered.  Given that ACM transfers to different planes but when your talking about reversals and stall performance every plane is different and I believe a pilot that is well versed over the variety of the plane set will tend to win these duels anyways.  
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #671 on: March 07, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »
What is wrong with that? In boxing whoever gets the first knockout punch wins. In football the team with the best score at the end of the game wins.

Actually when evenly matched pilots go up against each other it's more like a poker match.  3 hands aren't going to decide anything.  It takes a ton of hands to decide anything.

why should a lucky shot not be considered a valid win?

It is a valid win and out of a 3 fight match, its value is too significant.

The way it stands now we have one random draw. If the result of that first fight is purely determined by the random plane choice, then the loser has round two to choose any plane they wish to even the score. If then the score goes 1-1 then the other person ahs their choice of plane. So one random draw and a possible one choice plane each. Nothing could be more fair.

If you win the random draw plane, you have a HUGE advantage.  Not only do you only have to win 1 of 2 fights to move on now, you get to fight in your best plane if you lose fight 2.  It's all about winning fight one.  If you win the fight in some random P39D or Bf110C matchup, then you are most likely going to move on.

Anyhow, if what you suggest is true, that the first fight winner will win the match, then all you will see in seven round matches is mostly 4-0 results. Whats the point in that?

No, what I suggest is the winner of the first fight will win the match the vast majority in this best of three setup.  In a seven round match that wouldn't be the same.  In a 7 round match, say it works out to where you lose fight 1, win fight 2, and lose fight 3 (his best plane>, you now pick your best plane again and beat him, (2-2).  Now you've seen how he fights in his best ride and he's seen how you fly in your best ride.  The score is 2-2 and you still need 2 more victories to win.  All of a sudden it becomes a lot more interesting.  Now it actually starts to become a chess game and an actual dueling experience.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:09:41 PM by grizz441 »

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #672 on: March 07, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »

No, what I suggest is the winner of the first fight will win the match the vast majority in this best of three setup.  In a seven round match that wouldn't be the same.  In a 7 round match, say it works out to where you lose fight 1, win fight 2, and lose fight 3 (his best plane>, you now pick your best plane again and beat him, (2-2).  Now you've seen how he fights in his best ride and he's seen how you fly in your best ride.  The score is 2-2 and you still need 2 more victories to win.  All of a sudden it becomes a lot more interesting.  Now it actually starts to become a chess game and an actual dueling experience.

The bit in bold is not correct. There is no difference by the second round in a 3 or 7 round match. It is still the second round. If you win the second round in a 7 round matchup there is no reason why you shouldnt win the second round in a 3 round match up. Perhaps the three round system does favour those who get a lucky first round ride. But, what you are suggesting, that would lead to an outcome of 2-2 after four fights, is not fair. The first round winner has only chosen one aircraft and the other guy has chosen two to get to the same score. But this competition is not about who is the best fighter pile-it, it's about who does better on the day with what they are assigned. Just my opinion, not really that bothered by all this.  :salute
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:44:39 PM by mechanic »

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #673 on: March 07, 2010, 12:56:07 PM »
I have to agree with bat...by the third fight I had an Idea of how he was playing the game  (teasing me) and I adjusted....(any more than three I would have been kickin him  :lol :lol :lol yeah right)...now sure a player like bat,grizz,bruv,,blah de blah can change their plan at will so for the lower tier fights this wouldn't be a problem but when you are getting to the finals these are guys who can turn fights with a snap of the fingers. The competitors could make a plane choice that offers a fighting chance not some big bore tear a new sphinc.... type and allow for a decent fight...after the random draw that is...competitor choice holds bearing on type of fight.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #674 on: March 07, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »
The bit in bold is not correct. There is no difference by the second round in a 3 or 7 round match. It is still the second round. If you win the second round in a 7 round matchup there is no reason why you shouldnt win the second round in a 3 round match up.

Yeah that's not the point.  Winning the second round isn't too tough because it's supposed to be your plane of mastery.  The 3rd round is the issue here, having to fight against your opponents best ride to decide who goes.  

If you are much better than someone you will dominate them regardless.  However, if two pilots are somewhat in the same ball park in skill, it's a complete crapshoot.  It's like playing 2 innings of baseball and deciding a winner.  It makes no sense from my perspective, and you are the only active 'dueler' that I see not in agreement.