Author Topic: Third Tri-Annual Dueling Braket & Results  (Read 42668 times)

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
Re: Third Tri-Annual Dueling Braket & Results
« Reply #690 on: March 07, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »
It would get a bit tricky when you can just go from g-2 to g-6 (or any other plane with numerous sub types)
But some subtypes are dramatically different. E.g., 109E4 to any other 109 variant. Spit I to any other Spit variant. Those are the most obvious examples I can think of, but I'm sure there are others.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #691 on: March 08, 2010, 02:45:45 AM »
I say make the final best of 5 and leave the rest as is.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #692 on: March 08, 2010, 03:22:23 AM »
I say start your own tournament.

Leave this as it is. backseat organizers.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #693 on: March 08, 2010, 05:43:31 AM »
Chosing the same plane twice should be allowed I think. For instance, in my fight with moot we were drawn the 109G6 for the first fight. I lost this fight but really wanted another try as I felt I could have flown better in a G6. So I picked G6 again for fight two and won it. It was nice to be able to have the chance to improve on the last fight in the same plane, but maybe thats just me. Of course, if it remains as a three round fight, each player only gets one choice plane each, so it is not really an issue as thing stand currently.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #694 on: March 08, 2010, 07:10:15 AM »
I say start your own tournament.

Leave this as it is. backseat organizers.

wrongway

I could not agree more with this statement.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #695 on: March 08, 2010, 08:08:46 AM »
Congratulations again to everyone who made the quarterfinals.  There are no losers at this point in the tournament.  Getting to the quarterfinals is quite an accomplishment. 

Speaking of quarterfinals I was remiss in the last update in not congratulating JB11, Sunsfan and TonyJoey in joining batfinkv in being the only players to make the quarterfinals in more than one tournament. 

batfinkv and JB11 now become the only players to reach the semifinals more than once.  Can either of them become the first player to reach the finals more than once?  They've both been there before but there's no guarantees with the competition they face in this round.

In our next survivor, batfinkv, Bruv119, cactus and JB11 compete for the final two and a chance at the tournament championship.  Who goes on?  Who goes home?  Stay tuned:

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #696 on: March 08, 2010, 08:14:35 AM »
Batfink and JB  :huh GL Bruv  :)   great fights the other night Batfink  :salute
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #697 on: March 08, 2010, 08:23:26 AM »
I agree with Grizz.  A 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 7 would have been better.  If nothing else, you get more fights out of it.  My fight against TJ came down to whose 20s hit where.  I got an oil hit out of it, he got an explosion.  In a 4 out of 7 he might have gone on to win the rest of the fights, but that would have not left any question on who was better.  The same goes if my 20s hit his head instead of the engine.  More fights reduce the luck factor.

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #698 on: March 08, 2010, 08:26:34 AM »
+1
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:33:22 AM by uptown »
Charlie don't surf!

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #699 on: March 08, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »
I see a Sapper in the final four! It's goin' to get fugley  :bolt:
Charlie don't surf!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #700 on: March 08, 2010, 08:55:40 AM »
I'm thinking about this change for the next tourney:

Best of five from the quarterfinals forward with the player who is behind in the series getting to choose the next duel aircraft.  This means they could choose as many as three times consecutively to try to get back into contention (they lose the first and second duels then win the third making it 1-2 and get to choose for the third time for instance).  If the series becomes tied at any point then the loser of the last duel chooses.

Again, I don't want to make major changes as the tourney seems to be working well as it is but I think this change might be interesting in that it still leaves the door open for an underdog to have a chance while giving the final eight more duels to fight.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #701 on: March 08, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »
I'm thinking about this change for the next tourney:

Best of five from the quarterfinals forward with the player who is behind in the series getting to choose the next duel aircraft.  This means they could choose as many as three times consecutively to try to get back into contention (they lose the first and second duels then win the third making it 1-2 and get to choose for the third time for instance).  If the series becomes tied at any point then the loser of the last duel chooses.

Again, I don't want to make major changes as the tourney seems to be working well as it is but I think this change might be interesting in that it still leaves the door open for an underdog to have a chance while giving the final eight more duels to fight.

In my humble opinion, the hard part is getting the two pilots to schedule the match and get to the DA on time. Once you're there why not fight for a while? 3 is too short just from a time standpoint. There's no reason to make the early rounds fewer duels than the later rounds. Three duels can be over in 15 minutes. In my case it was over much quicker.  :frown:  Even if I had gone 0-7 I would love to have had the seven duels for the fun of it. I also believe that more duels will favor the better pilots.

So, while there has been a lot of comments on whether 7 is or is not required, I ask what is the downside? Time? 

I vote for more duels in all rounds :aok

Who is John Galt?

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #702 on: March 08, 2010, 01:13:56 PM »
nothing is stopping the contestants from having more fights after the bracket fights...
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #703 on: March 08, 2010, 01:18:17 PM »
The thing is 3 fight tourney means that those fighting must bring their "A" game right from the begining and not mess around thinking that it really doesn't matter since they can just come back later and wipe up.

Like bat said you can have as many fights as you like after the bracket fights are over.

All in all it is BE's event and he has done a fine job with it and as far as I can tell most everyone is happy with the way it is. It's your call BE I will participate no matter which way it is.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #704 on: March 08, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »
Everyone is going to have different opinions on how many duels, but the final result is that I had alot of fun with this tournament and I'll see you all next go around.  Looking forward to watching the semi's film and the final match up  :D gl to the remaining pilots  :salute
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep