Author Topic: improved engine/aircraft model  (Read 7556 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: improved engine/aircraft model
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2010, 12:01:10 AM »
IIRC Hitech has stated something to the effect that the challenge here is air combat not switchology. 

If something was implemented that would give you an advantage it would be more mandatory than optional. If you really just want the challenge of more complex engine management then you don't need additional benefit from it. If it was like trim, where combat trim probably works better than I manually trim, and everybody can easily manually trim on those few occasions when they need too, then more complex engine management could add value for you while not detracting for those not interested in it.

Here ya go:

Adding what you ask on the grounds of making it more challenging is a false argument. You seem to miss the fact that everyone plays by the same rules. The real challenge is not flying the airplane but rather out flying your opponent. So adding what you ask would not make it more challenging, because the goal of killing some one does not become any more difficult or easy because your opponent has to deal with all the same items. So in the end what you ask for detracts from the fun part (fighting) and puts more emphasis on plane knowledge and cockpit management.

2nd in many cases what you ask for becomes less realistic when it comes to cockpit management. With most computer setups  the easy of flying is far more difficult than flying the real thing in almost all regions of flight. So you are asking to make cockpit management much more difficult than flying the real thing.

3rd it would make it much more difficult for a new person to experience is first fight.

Finally as I have said before, you really are just asking to have to remember to push a few more keys on the keyboard. AH is about flying & fighting, not about having to remember a check list.

HiTech

I love SEARCH

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2010, 12:36:43 AM »
IIRC Hitech has stated something to the effect that the challenge here is air combat not switchology. 

While I agree with this statement and fully understand just how challenging AH can be and is.I would still like to see some kind of a complex flight management,with or without any benefit. The mixture control would really be all I'm interested in but would except cooling controls too.

Now let me be clear,this is only my opinion and as I said in my original post do we really need it,I think not......

:salute

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »

The technical term is "playing the piccolo". 
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2010, 03:17:51 PM »
Off hand I recall reading of a Spitfire pilot who panicked and ran his Spitfire on WEP for about 30 minutes straight.  They pulled the engine and did a thorough check on it, but could find nothing wrong with it so returned it to service.

Once spoke with a fine old gent at the Bradley Air Museum who was the host at the static P-47 display. He was a P-47 pilot. He told me that he once was in a furball ... firewalled the engine (WEP) and didn't realize until he landed back in the UK that it was firewalled the whole time. He said that the furball was so hairy (he was scared chitless) that he ran the the WEP completely out of water and never touched his throttle after that.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »
Would like to see a more realistic aircraft engine model.  Currently every aircraft in AH can is be flown with the engine throttle fire walled.  Currently the only time an engine overheats is when WEP is applied or engine oil pressure is lost.  This is just not realistic.  All the aircraft engines of the time were subject to over heating and had performance limits set that when exceeded for extended periods of time resulted in a engine over heating and or a seized engine.

I dare say that no one in the game limits RPM or Manifold settings currently. 

I think it would add a new dynamic to the game, be interesting to see the effects on game play if pilots were unable to just dash about at full power all the time.  It would add a degree of reality and make for a more accurate aircraft model.

I don’t know if the program elements are all in place to effect this type of change, but right now it’s possible to control Manifold pressure and RPM and the engine over heating element is present for WEP.  I’ve got to think that it could be expended for other RPM settings as well without much trouble.

I think its a good idea, also can we have random failure of tyres when landing, which pitches you off the runway into a hangar. I'd also like my guns to jam, especially when factories are moved to the rear and the quality of ammo falls.

We could include careful mixture selection that needs to be maintained constantly in flight (maybe buy and setup 2 throttles). I'd like to see parachutes that have been packed by a half arsed ground crew member that roman candle when you bail.

If guys repeatedly land and rearm instead of taking new a/c, and then repeatedly subject their aircraft to violent dogfighting manouvering, we could have control cables snap randomly.

And maybe in the heat of a big furball we could have an aneurism model under neg g.
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2010, 08:43:39 PM »
I think its a good idea, also can we have random failure of tyres when landing, which pitches you off the runway into a hangar. I'd also like my guns to jam, especially when factories are moved to the rear and the quality of ammo falls.

We could include careful mixture selection that needs to be maintained constantly in flight (maybe buy and setup 2 throttles). I'd like to see parachutes that have been packed by a half arsed ground crew member that roman candle when you bail.

If guys repeatedly land and rearm instead of taking new a/c, and then repeatedly subject their aircraft to violent dogfighting manouvering, we could have control cables snap randomly.

And maybe in the heat of a big furball we could have an aneurism model under neg g.

You forgot your  :rofl

I hope....

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »
Yea there just aint nothing like being 3000 over gross weight and half way to where you are going and having a rod depart the engine, or having a prop blade decide to go on vacation to somewhere other than where you planned on going.  Mabey even pulling the mixture control back and having it come out in your hand and shut the engine off, while you are 150 miles into Mexico, or even have a windshield crack, or a bird strike.  How would this help the game play? 
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.