Author Topic: Different LW Country Setup?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Different LW Country Setup?
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 12:50:48 AM »
I'm sorry to hear the SOARs ran you out of the arena.

;)

wrongway

The SOAR's never existed then.   Just the identical mindless mentality.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 01:03:01 AM »
Don't care about the AvA, this thread is not about the Ava.   

This thread is about wanting a AvA type setup. But rather than spending time making the AvA arena better you would rather force the change on others, so you can have AvA with numbers.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2010, 01:23:07 AM »
Sometimes you have to force people to their happiness...   :bolt:

I would love to fly a historical setup but I also hate fly all by myself. The numbers momentum IS an issue. During GMT times AvA has NO players at all. So my choices are a) soar around lonely  or  b) join the MA LW sillyness. Sure scenarios offer what I want but I don't pay 15 USD for 1 frame a month (GMT friendly).

'Enforcing' a historical setup maybe once a week or once every two weeks might show people what they miss in MA. After all we have SO MANY Jagdgeschwader and Squadrons online that have fancy Logos and signatures but never fly even near their historical planeset. A salute to the Muppets, Jokers and whatnot that at least do not pretent to be something historical.

---

Rant aside! Starting today GMT 2000 hours is the unofficial GMT friendly AvA evening! Be there or be square!!!   :rock
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2010, 01:29:15 AM »
I wouldn't mind a special event weekend maybe once or twice a month.  

AvA style setup 20 troops per map room,   first country to 75% wins and resets back to normal.  Shouldn't take long for the allies to walk all over it, however if large squadrons do the right thing and balance the sides it could go on for awhile.....  

it wouldn't hurt to try it one time.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2010, 01:33:27 AM »
I wouldn't mind a special event weekend maybe once or twice a month.  

AvA style setup 20 troops per map room,   first country to 75% wins and resets back to normal.  Shouldn't take long for the allies to walk all over it, however if large squadrons do the right thing and balance the sides it could go on for awhile.....  

it wouldn't hurt to try it one time.

We have a arena devoted to AvA. You could make your special event in there. The place exists. Why force people to play that way when they already don't choose to play that way.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

Offline mondego

• Zinc Member
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2010, 01:42:16 AM »
I think it would be great to try Grizz's idea at least once a week. Some of the best times I've had were in the AvA and during the FSO... I attribute that to added immersion/excitement involved when matching wits against historically accurate plane sets. Granted, under Grizz's proposal there could still be P51s, LA7s, and Spits vs. 109s and NIKs (which aren't necessarily "historic" matchups). It's more of a compromise between the AvA and LW arenas.

Why not try it for 1 month? That's only 4 days! At worst it will add a bit of excitement to the current arena schedule.

Regarding the balance issues, that's quite simple:

1. For base taking, make the allied bases capturable with just 5 troops (SdKfz 251 will fill the role of the M3). The c47 can be used for both sides, I don't think that would be too big an issue. Axis C47 would only carry 5 troops.

2. For bombers, perk points can be used as mentioned earlier.

3. I think the tank matchups would be relatively even, but I am not much of a GV'er so I would have to defer judgement to those with more experience.

4. The fighter matchups would rather even

5. The attack matchup would favor the allies with the IL2... but so what? I don't think it would be entirely unbalancing.

My vote is to give it a shot. For the naysayers, I urge you to consider the law of unintended consequences... you may find that you enjoy it after trying it! 

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2010, 01:51:06 AM »
We have a arena devoted to AvA. You could make your special event in there. The place exists. Why force people to play that way when they already don't choose to play that way.

most AH players are sheep they go where the herd is.  Using this as a basis of your argument against trialing this potential new setup is pretty weak.

I'm thinking every available plane/ gv in the set enabled for their respective side, so you have a large choice and reduce the side switch to say 30minutes to help balance the teams if they get skewed.

If you hadn't noticed LW arena gameplay has been the same old same old since the MA split,  it needs something just to spice it up a little.  At the moment people don't really care.  Experienced guys get bored easily and leave.

again it won't hurt to try it for one weekend and if it gets reset back to normal.  I propose no arena split whilst this is going down!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2010, 02:03:21 AM »
Like I said before you could work to make AvA a viable populated arena. That's not what you guys want though you want to take the easy way and just force it down everyones throats.

X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2010, 04:39:17 AM »
I like Bruvs sheep comparison because it is the truth.

We already have like the Orange/Blue arena split forced upon us. Sheep... err people will accept almost anything.  ;)
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2010, 04:45:49 AM »
Like I said before you could work to make AvA a viable populated arena. That's not what you guys want though you want to take the easy way and just force it down everyones throats.

Not true. What is proposed here has very little to do with how AvA is run, the only similarity is Axis <----> Allied. Gameplay mechanics would be more MA style and this is what really set it apart from the current AvA. I really do not think the AvA regulars would welcome such a fundamental change to "their" preferred arena. I could be wrong though.

However, I agree that it should not be a forced thing. It should be offered as an alternative to the actual LWA setup. I see some good potential, not just for the current customer base, but maybe also for further grow. Just think about the possibilities for historical squads, which could fight their historical opponents. It would be certainly more immersing than P-51s vs P-47s, Spits vs Typhoons or K4s vs Doras, which are the norm in the current LWA setup.

I really think this would be worth a test. If it works out, this would be a great alternative to the LWA with a distinctively different character. And if it works, there is a good reason for HTC to fill the balance gaps for such a setup, which will also benefit the game as a whole.  

Maybe such an arena could ease the stress on the LWA caps too...

Win-Win if you ask me...

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2010, 05:12:49 AM »
5. The attack matchup would favor the allies with the IL2... but so what? I don't think it would be entirely unbalancing.

This would be massively unbalancing. The Il-2 is tank killer #1 for a good reason.

Kill the ords at an Allied field, and they will up Il-2s that can easily gun down any approaching vehicle.
Kill the ords at an Axis  field and they are simply out of luck. They don't have a plane that can gun down enemy tanks... the Allies have Il-2, Hurricane D, B-25H.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2010, 05:35:22 AM »
htc comes along and sticks in Rudel's stuka,  problem solved.

is the IL2 eny set to 5?   possible perk?  remove it?  harden Axis ammo bunkers?  they were pretty clever at concealing stuff from allied bombing  ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:37:32 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 06:31:01 AM »
The allies would have to have alot of things perked. Ord and gun packages for sure. The axis power would need a fast moving GV for troop and supply runs, a heavy bomber, a few more prop planes to fight and attack with. Perk the whirels and jets.
The allies need a beefed up verison of the M16, different CV control rules for the 2 powers. The CV question is a big problem. Do we now add Uboats too? :lol That would be cool!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:46:16 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2010, 07:05:53 AM »
This thread is about wanting a AvA type setup. But rather than spending time making the AvA arena better you would rather force the change on others, so you can have AvA with numbers.

The OP states "Different LW (Late War) Country Setup?".  

The AvA already exits and is a ghost town.   We don't need two ghost towns.   Again, this thread IS NOT ABOUT THE AvA.  It's merely been hijacked to appear as such.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:30:50 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2010, 08:01:51 AM »
The AvA is around for 3 reasons.

1.  If you don't like being chased by 2 x La-7, 3 x Spitfires , 4 x P-51's, and a Bf-109 all at the same, then the AvA has something to offer you.
2. If you don't like dogfighting 20 enemy aircraft at the same time, constantly being cherry picked, having your ordinance continually down, and bored by the MA style gameplay, then the AvA has something to offer you.
3. If you do like fighting under historical situations and locations, against real enemies that our grand parents and great grand parents fought against, against a real adversary in an aircraft that was limited in performance at a particular date, but don't have time for SEA events, then the AvA has something to offer you.

Saying you don't fly in there because no one is in there, is calling a glass half-empty, when in fact, its full of opportunity, historical learning's, friendships, and fun.

As the saying goes, to each their own.  Meaning that HTC offers a style of gameplay for a wide range of audiences, and the AvA is part of the offering.

For those of you who think the AvA is a waste of time, space, and energy, NUTS!    :D

:salute

In all honesty, 1 and 2 describe the AvA very well.  Only the plane types and number of people chasing you change.  WHy not take the idea from this thread and do something with it?  Instead of goofy wind, radar, icon and capture settings, give this a try?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.