Author Topic: New arena-No icons- axis v allies rotating balance Plane sets No F3  (Read 12144 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: New arena-No icons- axis v allies rotating balance Plane sets No F3
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2010, 11:11:45 AM »
AND the livery (airline colors) of an airliner flying overhead at 40,000 feet or more.
:rofl
You're kidding right???
Beside the fact that the bottoms of airliners are predominately white/solidly colored and that when you're looking at something with the light source behind it it's difficult to tell detail in the first place...

How do you tell an enemy aircraft 4 miles out?
By shape, shape, and sometimes even shape.

They didn't paint invasion stripes, yellow leading edges, fuselage bands, bright yellow rudders, bright yellow cowlings, and so many other identification markers on planes in WW2 for the fun of it. They did that because you could and would tell who was friend/foe much further out than this game's (or ANY game's) ability can pretend to match.
Actually the reason the Luftwaffe used so many brightly colored markers is because, especially during the Battle of Britain, even with the human eye's apparent ability to identify a 40 ft long shape at 3 light years away from any angle, Luftwaffe pilots had a tendency to saddle up on friendly aircraft and try to blow them out of the sky... funny how that works...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:13:23 AM by Motherland »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »
I understand this is your opinion and I hope you'll understand that you're basing your opinion on an assumption more than actual knowledge of why the AVA is always empty. There's quite a few people flying in the LWA now that never flew anywhere but the CT or AVA for years in fact back to 2001 and before. A few years ago you couldn't drag me or many of these other guys into the Main Arenas. Flying my super ponyspittempjughog 24/7 has nothing to do with it. In fact most of my squadmates fly 1942/43 era birds. Plus there's just as many taterlaunchingHO190uberjetjoc ks flying Luftwaffe birds in the LWA as people flying else .

My experience was..The arena ceased to be fun for the majority of what once was a fairly healthy community mainly do to behavior more than aircraft preference. As more left and fewer flew the process fed itself and the place died on the vine. In my opinion it could be saved with the right ideas and little positive sponsoring. The OP would be well advised to run his idea by some of the folks on the AVA staff along with guys with similar preferences as yourself. I for one would like to see the AVA make a comeback and there are a few folks trying to do just that. Insulting the people that don't regularly fly there or see things your way on the subject of reality isn't going to help build you much positive feedback on your efforts. Also your theory of the AHII community doesn't explain the popularity of Special Events where you are forced to fly a designated bird instead of your favorite. There is interest for realism and historic setups and settings regardless of how empty the AVA is at the moment.

I really don't have a dog in the icon debate, but I have to disagree with your statement on why the AVA is empty. It has less to do with people refusing to fly less than their favorite aircraft and more to do with the place needing a formula for fun again after it became such a disappointment for so many of it's longtime supporters. I'd like to see of you guys that seem to have a lot of energy for the sim like yourself and the OP to get with the AVA staff and run some of this stuff by them. I think you'll find most of them very accommodating to new ideas.
<S>
Oh come on Shifty...behavior puts the blame on other people...I see "bad behavior" in the LW arenas every single day and yet the EW, MW and AvA stand mostly empty...there is hardly a minute that goes by where someone isn't saying something stupid about someone else on 200...I see supposed "good pilots" doing stuff that they put others down about and it's not "rare occasions" that such things occur...and I've read all the existing forum threads about why the EW, MW and AvA are mostly empty (hours of searching and reading)...obviously behavior has little to actually do with the population of an arena...what I've seen is a lot of the old dogs have gone away for one reason or another and the community as it stands now is different than the one from 2001.

I've been in the AvA and watched people quit because of something as simple as getting HO'd...people get HO'd every few minutes in the LW arenas but that doesn't stop those arenas from being heavily populated...I was in the combat challenge and watched a good number of people quit when they realized there were no enemy icons...I've seen people not participate in the FSO with their squads because they don't like the ride assignments or the settings...it's one excuse or another and they are based on nothing more than childish desires...and that behavior is from people who call themselves adults in real life.

Now this is my "opinion"...It all comes down to choices and if those "pillars of the community" who are publicly refusing to challenge themselves beyond the arcade realm were to choose to at least try instead of coming up with a million reasons for condemning something or someone for not fitting in with perceived personally acceptable ideology...the AvA arena could have a better population than it does in spite of the excuses from the past. Yes, no icons or simply no enemy icons is more of a challenge than having icons on...but just like some of the things built into AH that we learn to compensate for from the day we start playing, if enemy icons were not available at all when we started playing AH, this discussion would not be happening...and people would be upset if someone came along and suggested that enemy icons be incorporated into the game.

They don't reduce realism, they increase it.
Yeah you're right, I see a rainbow of icons with distance indicators over everything I look at in real life...uh huh.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:07:57 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »
Gyrene... don't know how much you've flown in the AvA arena... but Shifty's post is pretty accurate as to why the AvA is empty.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 12:16:12 PM »
I see a rainbow of icons with distance indicators over everything I look at in real life.

Well you should probably see a doctor about that.

If you want quote part of what I wrote try to keep it in context. If you're unable to understand what I wrote just ask and maybe I can help you.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 12:42:48 PM »
Gyrene... don't know how much you've flown in the AvA arena... but Shifty's post is pretty accurate as to why the AvA is empty.
Yes that is probably so but my point was that those "reasons" no long have any bearing considering the changes over the past 10 years...IMO there are too many arenas and not enough people left who are at the level of those who used to frequent the AvA...the planeset and terrains don't exist to give the AvA enough variety to be popular again...and with all the special event functions whatever could be done in the AvA wouldn't be different enough to attract a lot of the people who are currently active in AH. At this point there is no use for even the EW or MW arenas except for a few people to get away from the large numbers of Spit16s and Tempests you can find most nights in the LW arenas.

A well populated AvA would be really nice to come home to after a long day of working, but like everyone else in AH, I'm not jumping on an empty server and waiting on someone to join me...I don't have the time or the patience.

Well you should probably see a doctor about that.

If you want quote part of what I wrote try to keep it in context. If you're unable to understand what I wrote just ask and maybe I can help you.
Nothing to take out of context or misunderstand...you specifically stated that icons increase the realism of AH and you used examples of real life vs AH. In real life, no one has telescopic vision and we sure don't have icons in red and green over objects with distance indicators telling us how far away they are.

IIRC normal vision is modeled in AH when you are zoomed in all the way. When you are zoomed out all the way,at 145 degree view angle, you have slightly more than normal field of view for binocular vision. Peripheral field of view goes further.

So to see normal detail you need to be fully zoomed in and if you try flying like that you'll see that the resulting narrow field of view is a problem. If you try quickly switching zoom  off and full on you'll find it's very easy to miss the object you want to see. In real life you have the AH fully zoomed in view and more than the fully zoomed out view at the same time.  Icons make up for that. They don't reduce realism, they increase it.
jarhed  

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »
Oh come on Shifty...behavior puts the blame on other people...I see "bad behavior" in the LW arenas every single day and yet the EW, MW and AvA stand mostly empty...

Actually Gyrene there is a big difference in the effect behavior has on a large community over a small one. The AVA community at it's peak had about 20-50 average a night. Some nights better than others. I'm not saying it ever was or could be as big of a draw as the main arenas. However the more the population of players in AHII, the more likely part of that population would be interested in a more historic or realistic arena.

You're absolutely correct when you say there is bad behavior everyday in the LWA. However the behavior is a small percentage of the population and usually less personal. The AVA suffered a high percentage of bad behavior and bad blood which got to be very personal. The feud between factions became more important than the health of the arena. This is in the fact the main reason for the decline of the AVA. You may choose not to believe it. However since you weren't there at the time you're basing your opinion on speculation not the actual experience of being there.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:06:12 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 12:59:15 PM »
Nothing to take out of context or misunderstand...you specifically stated that icons increase the realism of AH and you used examples of real life vs AH. In real life, no one has telescopic vision and we sure don't have icons in red and green over objects with distance indicators telling us how far away they are.

What you missed is that zoomed full in is not telescopic vision, it's normal vision.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »
What you missed is that zoomed full in is not telescopic vision, it's normal vision.
Sorry FLS but no it is not...full zoom in AH from the cockpit is telescopic vision...nothing like the process of focal point vision where we look at a distant object and try to focus on it's details without it getting bigger in our vision...you cannot look at an object 100 yards away and make it larger and more defined by focusing on it unless you're wearing some really heavy duty glasses.

jarhed  

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »
Sorry Gyrene but FLS is correct sir.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 01:19:39 PM »
Wow... such ignorance spouting the virtues of flying "without icons"....??

You can clearly tell the shape, wing type, engine numbers, tail structure, AND the livery (airline colors) of an airliner flying overhead at 40,000 feet or more.

In AH you don't even get DOTS on planes that far, let alone coherent shapes.

In real life, pilots can see and identify other aircraft up to 10 miles. In AH it's barely possible at 1000 yards.

As for your comment regarding seeing codes and colors being "not important in AH" -- totall bull. How do you tell an enemy aircraft 4 miles out? Perhaps by the color and the sun glinting off of it. The bright white flash of a star-and-bar, or the black cross of a german enemy.

They didn't paint invasion stripes, yellow leading edges, fuselage bands, bright yellow rudders, bright yellow cowlings, and so many other identification markers on planes in WW2 for the fun of it. They did that because you could and would tell who was friend/foe much further out than this game's (or ANY game's) ability can pretend to match.

Anybody saying "no icons" is just as realistic as real life is deluded and ignorant. A dangerous combination, it should never lead to changes in gameplay for those NOT deluded and ignorant.

EDIT: Raven, I don't mean to hijack your request. You have every right to suggest a rotation with this setting. My comments were in response to gyrene, cactus, and motherland's obsession with converting AH to "no icons"...

Hmm... don't seem to recall saying "'no icons' is just as realistic as real life" or that AH should convert to no icons. Merely stating both have their own unrealistic qualities and that there are people who enjoy both settings.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »
Sorry FLS but no it is not...full zoom in AH from the cockpit is telescopic vision...nothing like the process of focal point vision where we look at a distant object and try to focus on it's details without it getting bigger in our vision...you cannot look at an object 100 yards away and make it larger and more defined by focusing on it unless you're wearing some really heavy duty glasses.

(Image removed from quote.)

You are missing the point that visual acuity and field of view cannot be represented on a monitor at the same time. Let's say you have a 22" monitor 2 ft in front of you. Make a 22" frame, hold it 2 ft in front of you and walk around looking at the world. Go to an airport and look at airplanes. You'll notice that your window frame on the world looks like AH fully zoomed in. Once you grasp this point you can consider how to overcome this limitation in a flight simulator.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 01:46:51 PM »
So Ghost and FLS you're trying to tell me that you believe full zoom in AH is a better representation of object detail view in real life than the default view is? I agree that the perspective is diminished, like looking at a photo of something you know is a short distance away but in the photo it looks like it's farther away unless you use the proper amount of zoom and a panoramic lens to fully capture exactly what your eyes see...but full zoom in AH is not an accurate depiction either and part of it has to do with the way objects are rendered in AH.

Ok let's take a look in AH...no zoom default view.

Partial zoom (about 1/2)

Full zoom

Looking at the gunsight alone, without moving your head closer the human eye does not magnify objects...looking at the level of detail rendered on those Lancs with full zoom...I believe the distance shown on the icons is in yards (?)...that would make them about 15,500 feet away...default view is obviously less detail than you would see in real life at that distance but then full zoom is not what you would see in real life either...unless you stuck your face within inches to that gunsight.

*edit* tinypic really messed up the small articles in those pics...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:59:34 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
Full zoom, which is a misleading term for normal perspective, is not the same resolution as real vision, but it's as close as we get in PC simulations. It's a hardware limitation that developers have to work with. We tend to think of the default view as normal vision rather than the "unnaturally distorted for game play reasons" view. Calling the normal perspective view "full zoom" naturally invites the idea that it's a telescopic view.

I'm not posting for or against a no icons arena. I just wanted to point out why icons create a more realistic situational awareness than no icons.  That doesn't change the fact that some people may find it more fun to fly without icons, but the argument that no icons is less arcade and more real is simply false.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 05:14:26 PM »
Whether full zoom in AH is matched to reality or not is also very dependent on the size of your screen.  I seem to recall that it is about 1:1 with reality on a 17" screen, which was the most common size when AH was released.

It should also be noted that your head position in the aircraft matters.  In the last shot gyrene posted the pilot's viewpoint is clearly less than two feet from the gun sight.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 05:54:24 PM »
In the last shot gyrene posted the pilot's viewpoint is clearly less than two feet from the gun sight.
:D That does look like my nose could have been touching the gunsight doesn't it? Good thing we can't smell things within the AH world...  :lol
jarhed