Author Topic: AVA ww1 arena  (Read 5036 times)

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
Re: AVA ww1 arena
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 02:27:26 AM »
Look it's a computer game, all your doing with no icons is giving the guy with the better equipment an advantage over the guy who doesn't have it or can't aford it.  You also exclude older guys like myself whose eyesight is not as good as it used to be.  Until you can duplicate what the human eye can see in real life on the computer (and we are getting closer to that) turning off icons is just making the game easier for some and harder for other with no real skill involved.  I doubt the AVA will grow much if it is just an elitest arena for guys with the top end equipment.

Just MHO.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 04:21:03 AM »
Look it's a computer game, all your doing with no icons is giving the guy with the better equipment an advantage over the guy who doesn't have it or can't aford it.  You also exclude older guys like myself whose eyesight is not as good as it used to be.  Until you can duplicate what the human eye can see in real life on the computer (and we are getting closer to that) turning off icons is just making the game easier for some and harder for other with no real skill involved.  I doubt the AVA will grow much if it is just an elitest arena for guys with the top end equipment.Just MHO.

I don't see how the guy with better equipment plays any factor with eny icons being off.  And if you play with icons on, you don't need any help seeing these planes.  If you shoot down the ones with icons, they look the same just no red.  Someone with 20/100 eyesight can see these cons.  It does increase the possibility of losing a con you are 1v1ing.   

I doubt the AVA will grow much if it is just an elitest arena for guys with the top end equipment.Just MHO.
Top equipment don't make the pilot ACM does.  Put a $20 dollar Saitek 290pro in the hands of the top sticks and they'd still hand everyone's butt to them, don't understand your logic with any of these statements.
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2010, 07:01:53 AM »
Sour grapes TnDep, with the cost of 23" monitors at under 200$ just about anyone who really wants one can have one.

As tight as my budget is, and its incredibly tight, I managed to upgrade last fall.

So it isn't a matter of elitism at all. Rather its back on you. Are you willing to spend 200$ to get the most out of your addiction or are you not?

Either way, no one is forcing you to fly the AvA with no enemy icons.

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2010, 07:30:14 AM »
Hey I know what would make it better.  Turn off Kill Shooter and turn off friendly collisions.  Just think you favorite squadie ending up in your kills column.  Boy I bet that would make everyone happy. :devil

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »
Look it's a computer game, all your doing with no icons is giving the guy with the better equipment an advantage over the guy who doesn't have it or can't aford it.  You also exclude older guys like myself whose eyesight is not as good as it used to be.  Until you can duplicate what the human eye can see in real life on the computer (and we are getting closer to that) turning off icons is just making the game easier for some and harder for other with no real skill involved.  I doubt the AVA will grow much if it is just an elitest arena for guys with the top end equipment.

Just MHO.

Hi Boxboy from a fellow Tucsonan!

Have you tried the arena with no icons?

If not you should, it's not as difficult as you think, and it adds something to the game that makes it more fun to me anyway.

I'm 45 and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

The AvA wasn't growing before and when they turned the icons off, it started growing big time.

Of course the WW1 launch took away some momentum, but read the AvA forum and get the reaction from people who tried it.

The majority really liked it. AvA needs to find a market and this might be it.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 09:27:09 AM »
"Top equipment don't make the pilot ACM does."

Give "Ace #1" a hoopety twist stick and put them up against "Ace #2" who
has pedals, throttles & stick and I'll put my money on the guy with the hotas
and pedals all day long.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »
Hey I know what would make it better.  Turn off Kill Shooter and turn off friendly collisions.  Just think you favorite squadie ending up in your kills column.  Boy I bet that would make everyone happy. :devil

on occation we turn off friendly icons too, that gets really wild. just depends on who's in the arena at the time. no enemy icons teaches people to communicate, even with people not in your squad. its a lot of fun. try it before judging. if its not your cup of tea, thats fine too. the guys that communicate the best, have better kill ratios. it boils down to immersion and fun. if you like either one of these, you'll have a great time. if you're in it for the points. might as well stay in the MA's. See ya soon!

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:13 AM »
"Top equipment don't make the pilot ACM does."

Give "Ace #1" a hoopety twist stick and put them up against "Ace #2" who
has pedals, throttles & stick and I'll put my money on the guy with the hotas
and pedals all day long.

Since I have had pedals for about 6 months now I can honestly give an opinion on the 2.  To me I was suprised that it didnt give me an upper hand advantage besides that I don't have to worry about the slightiest input when pulling for a shot.  It doesnt help you get on the other person's 6 any better then a twisty stick and actually you can be smooth and consistant both ways.  On a twisty stick you can set a deadband where you don't have the initial jumping.  You might be right but I'm pulling for the twisty  :D
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 10:59:02 AM »
Guys this sim has a long "DOT" range you can see a dot from way out there. no icons in this sim is much easier than in other sims.

Give it a chance.
 with the right Map and Plane set up you will love it. LISTEN ITS ONLY ONE ARENA DONT FLY THERE IF YOU DONT LIKE IT. its just a choice for players that realise its a blast.

No icons make this sim a totally new game if your boared with the sim try a no icon environment and join the movement.

If your not interested then don't fly there .Other wise get out of the way of those that do.

It doesn't require better equipment at all Most fear the no icon settings because they don't give it a try.

most that try it get hooked.

Its just plane fun way more that the flock of seagulls crying mine mine mine from 5.5 k out as they all zoom in on a icon. The No icon environment is much more of a connoisseurs set up its not like the current air quake  as seen in the MA.

Both set ups have there virtues. Icons are great for guys learning how to fly a sim. With out them at the start many would just give up...

But at some point the icon thing gets old, and the AvA is set up for those that want a new Challenge.

Its fun its allot more immerse and give a m,much higher Laval of satisfaction try it you will  like it......
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:00:57 AM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 12:56:47 PM »
I've had pedals for many years. After ditching hoopty twist sticks.
If you have pedals and cannot perform better acm than someone with a hoopty-twisty stick
then you either have the pedals set up wrong (deadband is too much or you have a bad
calibration) or you just haven't learned how to do good barrel rolls with them etc.  
 Someone with pedals can use them to out roll someone with a hoopty-twist stick all day
long. Pedals control the Z axis seperately and do not effect the x and y axis at all. Those
axis only change by the movement of the two hands on the throttle or stick.
By using the feet for peds and the two hands for the stick, throttle and the myriad of buttons
to control the flaps and wep poor ol' Mr Hoopty-twisty stick cannot  possibly keep up.  
Because anything Mr Hoopty-twisty stick user does with his one hand effects ALL three of his
sticks axis.   Should the deadbands be set so that it takes more movement of the Z axis to
change the rudders then Mr Hoopty twist stick has neutered his sticks sensativity - unlike
Mr pedals user  - and cannot roll his craft as crisply as Mr Pedals user can.  Let alone use flaps,
throttle and wep too in order to cause an over-shoot or go into yo-yo after the barrel roll.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:59:37 PM by Westy »

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 01:09:50 PM »
Hi Boxboy from a fellow Tucsonan!

Have you tried the arena with no icons?

Heheh I have been playing these games since around 1987, so yes I have tried no icon setups, and no amount of smuggness will convince me that a guy with a 24" monitor doesn't have the spotting edge over the guy with a 19", also better graphics cards that allow a player to turn everything on and still have a good frame rate etc etc.

The AvA was orignially setup to pit historic plances vs one another, this no icon thing is just the lastest rage it has also hit FSO and at 67 I just don't see as well as I once did and need the icon aid to make the game playable for me, I have no problem if the majority wants no icons I just won't be playing there and if the game goes no icons totally I will be unable to play and will have find some where else to spent my 15 bucks.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2010, 01:32:56 PM »
Heheh I have been playing these games since around 1987, so yes I have tried no icon setups, and no amount of smuggness will convince me that a guy with a 24" monitor doesn't have the spotting edge over the guy with a 19", also better graphics cards that allow a player to turn everything on and still have a good frame rate etc etc.
Have you tried no enemy icons in AH? And, I can tell you from experience that a 19inch widescreen using 1440x900 native resolution has a slightly larger pixel rendering than a 24inch widescreen running 1980x1080 native resolution...so those dots you don't think you can see on that 19inch monitor are actually bigger than the ones on the 24inch...the graphics card argument doesn't hold water either since using a crappy video card with either a 19 inch or 24 inch monitor, you are going to have to reduce the maximum resolution to something the video card can handle...like 1024x768 which means both the video card and monitor are going to render those dots bigger than the high end video card with with either monitor...the only differences will come from what graphics settings you have in the game that work with your video card...

There aren't many spring chickens with perfect vision around AH...especially in the AvA...unless you are classified as legally blind and cannot wear any type of vision correction (which means you probably shouldn't be playing AH on anything smaller than a 50 inch screen)...you won't have a problem finding other planes in the no enemy icon environment.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
I as totally familiar with your position Gyrene, and trying to discount anything I say because you view it as a threat to your position is silly.  We just don't agree on this issue and probably never will I can except that and YES I have tried no icons in AH and I don't care for it, no amount of "brow beating" is going to make me like it better.

Telling folks what holds water or not and treating them like they know nothing about computers will go along way to make them want to see your point  :rofl
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2010, 02:06:31 PM »

The AvA was orignially setup to pit historic plances vs one another, this no icon thing is just the lastest rage it has also hit FSO and at 67 I just don't see as well as I once did and need the icon aid to make the game playable for me, I have no problem if the majority wants no icons I just won't be playing there and if the game goes no icons totally I will be unable to play and will have find some where else to spent my 15 bucks.

Never fear The game will never not ever go o icons totally. That would never happen. First off it wouldn't be fair to those like your are having eye site issues also newer pilots learning  icons are necessary. I think allowing an alternate arena so pepole could at least have a choice of how and were the wish to fly is ok diversity is a good thing.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:11:00 PM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »
I as totally familiar with your position Gyrene, and trying to discount anything I say because you view it as a threat to your position is silly.  We just don't agree on this issue and probably never will I can except that and YES I have tried no icons in AH and I don't care for it, no amount of "brow beating" is going to make me like it better.

Telling folks what holds water or not and treating them like they know nothing about computers will go along way to make them want to see your point  :rofl
:headscratch: browbeating...discounting what you say? I just call it like I see it Boxboy...as in stating fact...nothing I said was false nor demeaning...but just so justify your rebuttal here is a demeaning reply: if you knew something about computers you wouldn't have used the monitor or video card argument.

It is indeed your choice...I respect that...and I can understand your reasoning...however I feel compelled to point out what may not have been obvious in the beginning...you would have been better served just stating your personal preference based on your own personal experience, which is indisputable rather than your "better equipment" opening argument.

Look it's a computer game, all your doing with no icons is giving the guy with the better equipment an advantage over the guy who doesn't have it or can't aford it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:13:59 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett