Author Topic: Need some help with dogfighting  (Read 3233 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Need some help with dogfighting
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »
Yes very true.I train my squaddies often.I say they won't learn much from me telling them ok a split s goes like this you do that.You don't learn much from it.If you wanna learn to be a good pilot that bad,dogfight him.Basically learn it all your self.Just practice a couple times a week.You'll be good in no time.Plus you get the joy that says,you've accomplished something by your self.

...and if you have a bad habit and turn a turn too tight all the time how are you going to learn anything other than how to die. A trainer will point out that small mistake and show you how to improve from flight to flight. If you want to learn how to fight, get with a trainer and save your self a lot of time and frustration!

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »

...and if you have a bad habit and turn a turn too tight all the time how are you going to learn anything other than how to die. A trainer will point out that small mistake and show you how to improve from flight to flight. If you want to learn how to fight, get with a trainer and save your self a lot of time and frustration!
Well again yes a trainer teaches you all that stuff.In the end though all a trainer does is show you the door,in the end your the one that has to walk through it not him.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 10:45:32 PM »
Well again yes a trainer teaches you all that stuff.In the end though all a trainer does is show you the door,in the end your the one that has to walk through it not him.

.......he shows you the door, he shows you how to open it, he shows you how to step through without tripping over the threshold, and he shows you how to close the door. He does a LOT more than "just show you the door". Yes you still have to do the work, but it's much easier to do with out all the mistakes the blind man has trying to get through that door.

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 11:07:45 PM »
.......he shows you the door, he shows you how to open it, he shows you how to step through without tripping over the threshold, and he shows you how to close the door. He does a LOT more than "just show you the door". Yes you still have to do the work, but it's much easier to do with out all the mistakes the blind man has trying to get through that door.
LOL yep he does all that stuff to he also shows you how to fix the door if it gets broken.Doesn't matter to much in the after math of your skills long as you get the job done,and have fun. :)
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 04:13:25 AM »
LOL yep he does all that stuff to he also shows you how to fix the door if it gets broken.

So in other words, TRAINERS FTW!   :D
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Eric122

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 10:15:40 AM »
ill start working with a trainer soon but id also like to see what advice you all can give me (besidesork with a trainer. this is how my usual dogfight goes.

I merge and pull an emmelman above my opponent (so do they). i end up being chased low about 100 feet and either crash or get shot up. They usually turn inside of me and i lose sight of them what am i doing wrong :headscratch:

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 01:01:29 PM »
Well, anytime you loose sight of the enemy, it's not a good thing. You should be able to track a maneuvering enemy and keep sight of him. Of course there are times, for example if he flies under you, that you will loose sight but you should have a good idea of where to regain sight.

As for them turning inside of you, are you flying around full throttle all the time? Speed is good but too much speed especially in turns increases your turn radius and if the enemy chops his throttle he might reduce is turn radius to where he can turn inside you. This brings up the discussion of turn rate and turn radius too. A small turn radius is good but if your turn rate is better, even if you have a larger turn radius a better turn rate will let you get around a larger turn radius before the opponent.

Just a couple of things to consider.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 03:57:08 PM »
ill start working with a trainer soon but id also like to see what advice you all can give me (besidesork with a trainer. this is how my usual dogfight goes.

I merge and pull an emmelman above my opponent (so do they). i end up being chased low about 100 feet and either crash or get shot up. They usually turn inside of me and i lose sight of them what am i doing wrong :headscratch:

Sounds like a speed thing....Are you getting below the con on your merges......Keep taking the fight up as much as you can, this entails you learn your plane so you know just how far you can push it(stick to one ride for a few tours win or lose)...If you are unable to pull up a second time (after a 1.5 straight run merge) you are possibly pulling too hard and losing too much E....

Can you post some film?...many guys here can and will help but your explanation of how your fight goes is not that much help alone, there are just so many variables.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:58:57 PM by SPKmes »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
 Eric,

You pretty much answered your own question,I lose sight,what am I doing wrong....

Lose sight, lose fight thats an old saying thought up by a much wiser man than I!

I'd ask you if you have your views adjusted properly,then I'd ask if you pull so hard you blackout,doing your immelman?
 Sure you can listen to guys like Stealth and learn on your own,that might take a few years and you'd be ok.Or you could listen to the guys who've been around a few years and suggest you get some training and maybe with lots of practice you can be Ok in a few months.

Really it's up to you and thats the 1 thing Stealth got right,only you can put in the time and effort to become better,there's many ways to do it but the best way is to get some type of training,practice,apply then train somemore......and so on!

:salute

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 05:07:36 PM »

There are so many thing going on during a fight that a little blurb of info you have posted here isn't much to go on. A number of people have given a couple of tips that can help, but there may be many other things you are missing.

Flying with a trainer will give you instant feedback from so one who knows what to look for. Another option is for you to film your flights and post the films here on the boards. Most will give you tips on what "they" see, or what "they" would have done.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 08:17:32 AM »
LOL yep he does all that stuff to he also shows you how to fix the door if it gets broken.Doesn't matter to much in the after math of your skills long as you get the job done,and have fun. :)

I have a request.   If you're going to quote a WWII veteran, please exercise proper grammar/spelling.   Show some true pride for the veteran and fix the "half" and "or", throw in some commas as well.   You're quoting a veteran and I'm not being a grammar Nazi.   Just show the veteran you've quoted, that you care.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 08:18:58 AM »

There are so many thing going on during a fight that a little blurb of info you have posted here isn't much to go on. A number of people have given a couple of tips that can help, but there may be many other things you are missing.

Flying with a trainer will give you instant feedback from so one who knows what to look for. Another option is for you to film your flights and post the films here on the boards. Most will give you tips on what "they" see, or what "they" would have done.

Fugi and SIK have given the best advice.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 12:21:37 PM »
The way I see it trainings ok with learning stuff like a split s and all those maneuvers,and technical stuff like what key is it to open bombbay and all that.Really if you wanna learn to fly well just see what everybody else does in about 2 months you'll get a feel and how you like to fly and what maneuvers you wanna do.First things first work on your aim if you haven't already.

This is bad advice and one should not follow it if they wish to improve themselves.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 12:46:21 PM »
The way I see it trainings ok with learning stuff like a split s and all those maneuvers,and technical stuff like what key is it to open bombbay and all that.Really if you wanna learn to fly well just see what everybody else does in about 2 months you'll get a feel and how you like to fly and what maneuvers you wanna do.First things first work on your aim if you haven't already.

Worst advice ever.  I've been playing for 14 years.  A couple of months ago I spent some time in the TA with MtnMan and it was the best two hour investment I've ever made.  Even if you think you know it all you can still learn more and the trainers know a lot more than teaching simple manouvers and what keys to hit.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
Not meant as a flame, but an recollection from another post.

IIRC, Stealth is 12 years old.  From Banshee's weekend "I'm finally 18" thread:

Congratulations I won't be 18 for another 6 years.

This explains the very misleading "advice" he's "giving out to others".   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC