Author Topic: Why BnZ is not my style  (Read 5872 times)

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
Re: Why BnZ is not my style
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 09:07:39 AM »
To me, you always see ppl BnZing in the P-51 so they can run away after their E advantage is lost.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 09:08:02 AM »
Maybe it's time to go to the Help and Training forum and read this thread:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,286402.0.html
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 09:09:05 AM »
To me, you always see ppl BnZing in the P-51 so they can run away after their E advantage is lost.

Yeah, why don't they stay and die like I want em to???   :rolleyes:
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 09:12:13 AM »
I guess when the 51 compresses you are simply diving from too high and for too long or too steep. When the 51 starts to squeak its a sign u are building too much speed, and then it will be harder to turn. But keep it just below that speed and my guess is you will find it much easier to manouvre around your target. It will still be alot faster than most of the other fighters, and in that speed it turns great. The 51 also have the ability to give it one notch of flaps at high speeds to make it turn even harder.. At the cost of bleeding off E faster offcourse, so use it wisely.

In my opinion the P51 is a great BNZ machine..  
TheStig

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 09:13:21 AM »
     Yeah, why don't they stay and die like I want em to???   :rolleyes:

Exactly!  :D

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 09:22:32 AM »
The way I use BnZ is like a club, I pound my opponent down and down and down.  I force him to convert his altitude into E in order to dodge me, eventually he either tries to hang onto too much E or he runs out of "down" and I bleed him of the rest of his E and kill him.  You can't do that if you are not aggressive as the target will rebuild its E while you p u s s yfoot around with silly "extending".  Maintain your E advantage by not bleeding it out for low chance shots, but press the target and make him spend his E to dodge as you climb back above him only to drop back down like a hammer on his nail.  Make him bleed it out like that and soon you are rewarded with a shot that is not a low chance shot as he gets desperate and does something reckless or simply runs out of the E needed to dodge effectively.

Beautiful writeup for something that I cannot possibly put into words.  The key is the aggressively sapping their E part.  Eventually you will be rewarded with a great shot opportunity. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 11:56:35 AM »
I have been playing AH2 for about 2 1/2 years now and as far as I can make out BnZ is my least favourite tactic.

I would like to say that its because I am a knight of the air and like to do battle with dignity but such is not the case. It is because it is just too difficult.

WW2 Aircraft have such low tolerance to speed and G-Force that with combat you only have one chance to pull off a succesful attack.

If you find yourself only having one chance to pull of a successful BnZ pass, that just means you really don't know how to properly BnZ.  Which could explain why such a rather simple tactic is difficult for you.

Now the ratio changes with the aircraft your flying, the P-51 seems to be the worst choice and yet it is used by so many for this purpose. It is an unstable firing platform and compresses easily. And if that werent enough the 50's do little damage unless a decisive burst finds its mark.

The P-51D is probably one of the better BnZ planes in the game.  It is stable, in both flight and as a gun platform and if you know how to aim, those 6x .50 cals are deadly.  The fact that you really don't know the characteristics of the P-51 could explain why you have such a tough time with a simple tactic like BnZ.

The Typhoon and Tempest are the best at this role, the Hispano cannons have brilliant ballistics and do tonnes of damage with just one hit and both aircraft have high tolerence to speed and G.

So with all this in mind, why do so many follow this tactic, well my response would be that they do not know the performance of their aircraft and the little tricks assocsiated with it to fight in a turn or E battle.

So it seems that the most difficult tactic is by far the easiest.

Any thoughts?

You probably have more success in the Typhoon or Tempest while "BnZing" because run away...err I mean extend half a sector until the other guy gets bored and you come back for a pick.

My suggestion to you would be to chuck your hubris about how great you are and how you can whip anyone in a Spitfire Mk XVI and seek the help of a trainer to learn basically what is one of the most simple tactics to use and learn how to properly BnZ.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 12:05:56 PM »
Im not huge fan of the BnZ, but I've never compressed in a P51. Maybe my first week in the game.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »
Im not huge fan of the BnZ, but I've never compressed in a P51. Maybe my first week in the game.

I hardly fly the p51 and I have never compressed even while diving straight down.  Somebody tell steve he's supposed to compressed once in a while  :D.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »
Stupid image removed.

That's "you're". It's short for "you" and "are" combined. Your is possessive which begs the question, "Your Gay what?"
Retired

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »
WW2 Aircraft have such low tolerance to speed and G-Force that with combat you only have one chance to pull off a succesful attack.

I guess you never ran into Ack-Ack in his P-38 ... as described by Karnac, Ack-Ack will beat you down with successive aggressive BnZ passes. If you are good, you may last until you reach tree top level and then you have no where to go ... if you aren't good, he will most likely get you by the 2nd or 3rd pass ... I speak from 1st hand experience.

Now the ratio changes with the aircraft your flying, the P-51 seems to be the worst choice and yet it is used by so many for this purpose. It is an unstable firing platform and compresses easily. And if that werent enough the 50's do little damage unless a decisive burst finds its mark.

Guess you don't really know how to fly the P-51 ... it is the complete opposite of what you described ... and the 6 .50 cals are extremely deadly.

So with all this in mind, why do so many follow this tactic, well my response would be that they do not know the performance of their aircraft and the little tricks assocsiated with it to fight in a turn or E battle.

Looks like you need to bone up on your knowledge of the performance of certain aircraft. The F4Us are excellent at proper BnZ as well as the F6-F, and let's not forget a well flown P-47.

SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »
   If my life depended on it Id BnZ till the cows came home. I dont fly that way often in game though. What some get out of it, like Karnak stated, the wearing down of the opponent, I try to do the same defensively. Avoiding being hit, and milking the guy with the advantage down low. We are both losing alt this way afterall. Once it gets to a certain point, that guy has to make a decision...should I stay or should I go. Many stay. I like those guys :)

~AoM~

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 05:32:19 PM »
Heres how you get better at BnZing...

Hop in something like a K4 or G14

Take them up above some enemy red guys

See if you can hit anything

keep doing this till they are gone

Serious now....I like to pull a spot about 1K from them without making a move toward them while slowing up a bit. Then I dive in like a eagle on a fish at almost full power and get them before they can make a real move.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »

Once you've lost E while B N Zing. you better know how to do something else. Cause running away at that point usually only ends up with bullets comming throught eh back of your head
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 07:30:09 PM »
 :headscratch:

51 compresses easy?