Author Topic: Why does this community........  (Read 7495 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Why does this community........
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »
Just for you Killnu......hey that sings <G>  :aok

(Image removed from quote.)

Please Pipz !!!! no more singing !!!   :D

IL-2, WB, FA all have one thing in common to me, I've never spent a second playing them.

I tried them all, thats why I have been here for 10 years  :aok

Ya we have some .... ummmm.... "winners" here, but for the most part this is a pretty good group of folks. Here is where I stayed because I could get answers. Learning a new "game" is hard enough, a little help is always great. Too often I'd get no response in those other games to my questions.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 09:48:52 AM »

That kind of stuff frequently reminds me of The Judean People's Front vs The People's Front of Judea...

The Judean People's Front!?!   

Splitters!!

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 11:50:07 AM »
.............And i have to say there is a a lot of stuff posted about aces high
and the community being a bunch of egotistical petulant children. Why I wonder do they think that? Is there some history I am missing. 

I doubt there is a higher purportion of "jerks" here than in any other air combat sim - it's just a question of #'s - lets assume (right or wrong) that 5% of online players are "egotistical petulant children" :

WB - 60 players online x's 5% = 3 online
AH - 500 players online x's 5% = 25 online

Goes to figure those 25 are going to have a larger impact in 200 at any one time than the 3 over in WB's.

By far and large I find the vast majority of AH players to be just as sane and respectful as those in any other air combat sim.

Have been here now for over a year and spent many years in WB's and I feel both have numerous good and bad points - about equal I'd say without getting in specifics (ie : eye candy far superior here but WB's has a major graphics update in the making - etc etc).

Where AH holds a HUGE advantage - head and shoulders above WB's is in it's management relationship with it's customer base. NO WHERE in WB's have I ever seen the owners/management of WB "walk" in the streets with it's customers in daily discussion of various aspects of the sim. Not always in agreement nor always prepared to move on issues as some would like - never the less HiTech and his gang are tuned into the pulse of it's players. :aok

Bill could learn a thing or two from Dale.'

....cheers eh! :D
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 11:55:52 AM »
I love the fact that HiTech and gang are active on the forum. I don't know any other game devs that do the same.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 12:23:08 PM »
When the general chatter on 200 consists of assinine b.s. from the same crowd who lose sleep over who can stir a joystick better than others here in the forums...new people are going to get the "alt+F4" response to questions...it's usually a combination of "alt+F4", "go to the TA" and "RTFM"...none of which is helpful by any stretch of the imagination.

On the flip side of the coin, if the new people would spend more than 5 seconds looking through the help, FAQ and tutorials posted everywhere, then familiarize themselves with the default keyboard mappings...there would be less need to answer questions like "how do I land?"...

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »
 :rofl are we being bashed over at the other bankrupt game forums? Well that is alarming to say the least.  :rofl

If the competition is not talking bad about you, you're doing something wrong.  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »
:rofl are we being bashed over at the other bankrupt game forums? Well that is alarming to say the least.  :rofl

If the competition is not talking bad about you, you're doing something wrong.  :aok
It's not AH that is getting bashed...it's the community.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
It has been years since I've been to the WB3 forums, but when I was last there it was the same as it is here.  People talking about what aircraft they want, which aircraft is porked (usually German ones) and how the game has gone to hell compared to the good old days.

As to the Alt-F4 thing, I would be perfectly happy if HiTech were to code it into the game that if one types any of the following: "alt-f4, Alt-f4, alt-F4, Alt-F4, ALT-F4, alt f4, Alt f4, alt F4, Alt F4, ALT F4" into the text buffer it dumps you to the desktop.  More reasonably, perhaps they should be added to a text filter and blocked.  The joke was juvenile to begin with and is only sad and pathetic now.  If the new player is computer illiterate to not know what Alt-F4 does it will seem like the game is buggy and crashed to them.  That joke does nobody any good.

Many of us have taken hours of our time to help new players when we bump into them and they are struggling.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 01:12:02 PM »
The community is AH imo. I like a spirited aggressive crowd. We have a lot of alpha male types in here. Military both ex and current, cops, firefighters, etc. You get them all in one place to play war and watermelon is going to fly. That's why I love this game. I want to play with folks that have a competitive attitude and hate to lose. You show me a crowd with no attitude and takes a beating with a smile, and i'll show you a group of losers.
I personally like this crowd of jerks we have here because I've always ran with a rough crowd in real life. My friends say what's on their minds. I respect that....always have. I've never been the countryclub, hang out at the piano bar type. You give me a pool table, a smoked filled beer joint with a few rednecks fixing to throw down with some bikers over at the jukebox, and i'll show you of hell of a good time.  :cheers:
Lighten up Francis

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »
IL-2, WB, FA all have one thing in common to me, I've never spent a second playing them.

They have no idea how lucky they are  :D

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »
Heck ya!!1!

We need a serious answer to questions like "what are the cheat codes?" or "how do I go faster?"

Lighten up Francis.

Alt + F4 is more a right of passage and, if anything, should be encouraged in the "bestest" and fullest MA as a means to let those who cannot get in "to fly with their squad" a shorter wait.

:aok :banana: :rofl

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »
I must admit a few years ago I did my "alt f4" telling time...but now I'd rather help the guy out since, like said, if they are brand new and alt f4, who knows if they'll even bother opening the game again.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »
I completely agree with wrongway, if you are too lazy to at least go to the settings menu and take a quick look at the basic controls the "right of passage" shall be placed upon you in all its glory. I mean almost EVERYONE has either fell or said the alt f4 joke, hell I fell for it indirectly.
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 02:23:43 PM »
lol i must admit over 8 years ago i fell for that when KO told me thats how i accept his Invatation to Join the Squad lol it was funny as heck, sure do miss KO thou :salute
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »
sure do miss KO thou

just hit alt-f4, he'll come back......... :noid
-AoM-