Author Topic: My Athlon is burning up.....  (Read 2690 times)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
My Athlon is burning up.....
« on: August 02, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
I just bought a new system.

1.3 gig Athlon
Asus A7V MB
256 pc 133 RAM
Quantum Fireball Hard Drive
Voodoo 5 vid card
Windoze 98SE

I ran the "probe" software and the Temp is 70C.  I experience a few "Blue screen of death" and freeze ups last night while flying.
The probe I ran was about 10 mins AFTER loggin err crashing from AH.

I have the Volcano heat sink and fan.  Any suggestions?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
Throw your oven away, you can use your processor for all your cooking needs.
-SW

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2001, 09:37:00 AM »
But seriously, Defiance posted this a while back:

use a razor blade and scrape goo off and run to shop and get arctic silver or any thermal gunk in a tube a good type is silicone paste
Now too much paste will create heat !!! so you do this...........
Clean original pad/goo whatever it is off heatsink (use new razorblade and do not scratch bottomof hs (heatsink) , On the cpu core itself you will feel the indentation of A. all the ID lines
B. and the amd copyright logo
Now clean the core using what you yanks call rubbing alcohol then once thats done make sure there's no lint/fluff etc on it

Now do the same to bottom of ya hs

Then get a piece of plastic (margarine lid or alike just make sure it's perfectly clean and squeeze a small amount (petti pois (small pea) size onto said lid etc)

Now what you aim to do is cover the cpu core with just enough paste to cover the indents from the lines of id/logo etc

Now on the hs you can do the same apply a tiny amount and with a creditcard edge or alike scrape it all off

You only want to fill any microscopic scratches etc not ice a friggin cake !!!!

Slap the hs on taking care not to chip the edge of the core and way you go

TOO MUCH PASTE = HIGH TEMPS

Maybe that will work for you.
-SW

Offline HottRod

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2001, 09:52:00 AM »
I don't know what you have in the way of a case, but you need to have a couple 80mm fans in the front drawing air in and a couple 80mm in the rear drawing air out of the case at least. Next check the thing SW reposted by Defiance. The Volcano II is a decent HSF but performs much better if you remove the stock fan and replace it with a black label Delta 7000 rpm just be prepared for the noise. Your temps should be around the 40's to mid 50's
hope that helps, Brian

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2001, 09:53:00 AM »
hiya's,
Yeah try the above but if that's no better
you can "Lap" (wet/dry very fine paper the HSF bottom) ideal way is to use a hvy thick mirror for the flat surface
Also maybe look at some newer copper HSF's as they have a good rep

Another thing make sure when HSF is on it is sitting damn flat with a decent amount of pressure on the clip (scary the pressure needed for TB's hsf to sit right)

When you do replace a HSF hook the back (so to speak) lug in then slowly lower the HSF, Ideally you don't wanna move it at all in any other way except down/forward, Any side movement messes up the thermal grease contact

Another thing to check is in bios, See if you can manually drop the Vcore down (maybe 1.33 is 1.75v i not sure offhand)

If you can also to aid cooling is get an old/new fan (80mm running off a 5volt lead from the psu is ideal (5v runs slower fan but quieter)) and using cunning/metal hanger (clothing) elastic/chewing gum/duct tape/bailing twine/beer/spirits/persuasion/naughtiness/idiotic utensils  hmm i digress, Just get the fan aiming at base of Zif socket (plastic gizmo cpu sits in) to cool around zif and under the HSF (don't obscure the cpu HSF flow though)
That will aid and does a decent job too

Hope that helps for now will answer some more in a bit

Have Fun

Def

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
Dang Hotrod ya beat me to it  lol
Case fans can also be run at lower volts if enough are used/placed right
Or go cool so to speak and get a watercooling setup       ;)

Have Fun

Def

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: Defiance ]

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2001, 11:03:00 AM »
Heh..you assumne I know my way around hardware...NOT!

I called the guy who built the thing and he's gone until Monday.  Would it be wise to stay away from Aces High until I get the temps lower?

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2001, 11:13:00 AM »
Just pour some icewater in there, or wait til it gets cold as hell in Canada again and play outside with an extension cord.

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2001, 11:13:00 AM »
Hiya,
OK i see, Well maybe don't mess with the HSF then til he comes back

But you should be able to do this....
Take the left side panel off (i assume it's a tower, Usually screws on rear of panel, or on some cases the front bexel comes off then the panel comes forward) this will reveal the guts of the beast, Place a desktop fan or alike blowing into the pc guts, If you don't have one beg borrow or steal ! one well maybe not steal unless it's a relatives  lmao
Get that blowing in, this is a short term remedy for you, hopefully it may cure your temps til m8's back

Another thing have you got a SB-Live soundcard ? if so put her in slot 3 pci and go into bios (keep hitting "delete key" on bootup til bios opens), In there find Advanced/pci configeration/find the part with pci slots 1-5 and set slot 3 to use irq 5
That can cure some SB/via 4in1 probs

EDIT: if you ever change anything in bios remember to "Save n Exit" then she will auto reboot with new settings

Hope that helps

Have Fun

Def

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: Defiance ]

Offline HottRod

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
One last idea: check your temp in the BIOS and see what it reads, probe has been known to report temps way high. When the puter boots you should see a message saying "press del to enter setup" On second thought maybe you shouldn't if you don't know too much about puters cause if you mess up something in there your done. Plus if your having failures it prolly is overheating.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2001, 03:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the response...your patience is appreciated.

Bottom line...CPU is too hot and that needs to be addressed!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2001, 07:12:00 PM »
This sounds kinda silly... but cooling asside...

If someone built this for you.. might he have OC'd a lesser clockspeed processor?  Dunno if that's easy to check or not.

Most of the suggestions being made are for the sake of OC'rs that do radical things to processors.  None of this should be necessary for a chip operating at is originally designated clockspeed. Cooling yes, radical solutions no.

AKDejaVu

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2001, 09:11:00 PM »
<punt>

The bios and probe show Processor at 1.333 Gig Deja.  I also know the guy so I ASSUME he didn't fek me around :)

I THINK I found the problem.  The Chasis fan and CPU fan show 0 RPM's and the status shows "monitor paused" which meakes me think these fans are doing fekall!

How do I turn them on????

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2001, 09:16:00 PM »
You plug them in skernsk.
  :)
No on/off switch, they power on when the PC is on. Take the case off and watch the fan on top of the CPU. If it's spinning, it's working. If it ain't, check the power connections.

Some fans do not have revolution monitoring built in though, so you might have a cheap-o fan.
-SW

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2001, 10:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by HottRod:
Your temps should be around the 40's to mid 50's
hope that helps, Brian
  (Image removed from quote.)

FWIW, my Athlon 750 is at maximum 35C. I have one 80mm fan in, two 80mm fans out, and two hard drive fan assemblies bringing even more air in.
sand