Author Topic: Arena cap  (Read 3326 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena Cap
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
And why only balance arenas by "Total players" and not by "players from country" as well

Complexity.

Also, perhaps both Orange and Blue maps could always be identical so as to remove that preference as well, in that way if numbers are too high in one board a group of players that wish to play as a unit can simply move to the other board.

Every time a war was won in one arena, the other would lose their chance to.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena cap
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »

But... I'm just letting my thoughts flow... how about a regular, scheduled "shift" system?A daytime arena, and a "nighttime" arena, or non-prime and primetime or whatever.
Let's say the single daytime arena get's shut down at the same time each day (like 16:00 EST or whatever time is best). The whole process could be automated to happen at exact the  same time each day and include early warnings at T-30, T-15, T-10, T-5 minutes. Then the arena closes, and the two "prime time" arenas will open up, with appropriate caps placed on them. Both would then will fill up more quickly.

Of course players would complain (we always do, don't we?). But as it's scheduled & automated, so it's reliably happening at the same time each day, no one would be surprised by a sudden shutdown. And  it would just be a 15-30 minutes timespan in which action would die in the non-prime arena in expectation of the shutdown, and the two primetime arenas get back up to numbers and action - and note a 2 hour time of seeing LWB numbers climbing up from 20-100 players...

Not a bad idea but imo it would kill subscriptions.  Daily resets would devalue the capture game and players who enjoy that mode of play would feel no purpose and potentially quit.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 03:17:32 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
Not a bad idea but imo it would kill subscriptions.  Daily resets would devalue the capture game and players who enjoy that mode of play would feel no purpose and potentially quit.

Of course you would have to save & carry over arena status in some way. Without such a measure it would indeed quickly kill AH.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 2BAD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2010, 04:03:27 PM »
Well Well  I didn't know u had a mean streak in ya MUNKY

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH  :)

Gonna change squad name to BaDMunkY  in ur honor  <S>

ps

It took me till 3am just to get into the orange areana last night
wasn't happy about that either.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
Of course you would have to save & carry over arena status in some way. Without such a measure it would indeed quickly kill AH.

Think of it as a mass eject, not a reset. Arena would stay in the same state.

HiTech

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2010, 05:06:27 PM »
HTC
~snip~

They should just get rid of the numbers and show ... "FULL" or "OPEN" ... next to an arena.

I forget how wise you can be......... excellent suggestion, Slap
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »
I was wondering if this could be a second use of the code for dynamically generated user arenas, you mentioned at the last CON.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline MunKySR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2010, 06:10:20 PM »
Hey Well 2BAD,
just voic'in my frustrations instead of kickin the 10 year old cat upstairs!

Offline iwomba

• Zinc Member
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »
The reason it was put together was HTC subscription stopped growing. Once the split arena system was added the subscription rate has started to grow again. Subscriptions going up is good for business. Titanic Tuesday is a concession to those players who "think" they know whats better for the business.

Interesting comment.

So advertising & promotion has nothing to do with increasing awareness & attracting new business?

Only arena caps is responsible for any growth in new business?.

Maybe I should split my 80 room hotel into 2 seperate 40 room hotels then I will get an immediate growth in business.

How do you reach the conclusion that TT is a concession for those that "think" they know how the business should be run?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:38:11 PM by iwomba »
WOMBA
9GIAP
Sydney, Australia Branch

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2010, 01:22:37 AM »
another one of those threads where everyone will bash the question or the premise of caps rather than simply giving the answer to the specific question I guess

the question is actually 2 parts so theres 2 answers, with both parts actually meaning the same thing....

as to why a "non-peak" time for the starting the caps: because its really hard to make the cap effective if the arenas are extremely unbalanced as they would be if the cap started in peak times

for example using your numbers from 1 1/2 hours after cap kicked in...... theres still a huge balance issue...... if the cap had been initiated at a later time the difference would be even greater....... the cap is started at a non-peak time so the arenas can fill evenly before they get to extremely unbalanced

which brings us to the question of raising the initial cap to 200....... you could just as easly say start the caps at 1,000......... if you show 176 vs 80 in the arenas with the cap at 100 then you have to realize that a 200 cap would simply mean 24 people from blue would instead be in orange and it would be 200 vs 56........ so the problem being that with the current system blue would only need 60 more people for oranges cap to raise...... if you start caps at 200 then blue would need 119 more people for the cap in orange to raise......... which do you think takes less time for the caps to raise?

the problem isnt in the implementation of the caps......... the problem is having caps in general........... if you agree with having caps then you must also agree and accept that they currently are as fair and balanced as they can be to work effectively
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2010, 03:44:59 AM »
There are not enough active players at the moment to justify two arenas.  Make it 500 and be done with it.

As for the notion that simply labeling them open or full will reduce the aggravation, that is silly.  Just knowing most of your friends, squadies, etc are in an arena you cannot access is frustrating.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2010, 05:59:05 AM »
During prime time, its really not a problem, cant get in one, go into the other. Off prime time, its a bit different (affects Euro and similiar time zones players more) - but I've never had a problem going into the lesser numbered arena. The cap is what it is.

My squaddies and I will all swap so we are in the same arena - if we cant find a fight, we'll go and start one - up, go to a base, get it flashing - if no one ups - start attacking town/ack guns etc, until we annoy someone into upping.

ymmv,

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2010, 06:15:55 AM »
During prime time, its really not a problem, cant get in one, go into the other. Off prime time, its a bit different (affects Euro and similiar time zones players more) - but I've never had a problem going into the lesser numbered arena. The cap is what it is.
Wurzel

And the ironic thing about that is, off prime time, there is no need for caps.  

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2010, 08:21:13 AM »
And the ironic thing about that is, off prime time, there is no need for caps.  

What's ironic?  Off prime either there are  no caps or caps really don't effect anything.  The only time people complain about caps due to arena imbalance is right after they go into effect.  Otherwise it's a matter of "I can't play with my friends" and not an imbalance issue as much.

Is 200/200 vs 140/250 really that big a difference that actually going into the open arena is a problem?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2010, 08:24:13 AM »
What's ironic?  Off prime either there are  no caps or caps really don't effect anything.  

That's absolutely not true. Caps do have a major impact at off US prime time.

I am facing it every day... at Euro prime time it's not 200vs 140... its often like 150 vs 50... for a long time, not just for a few minutes.
Caps kick in at 7pm local... and arenas are like 180 vs 20 then.

the 200vs140 is often reached only after a few hours.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:27:09 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman