Author Topic: Sadly...U can turn off the icons...but not the attitude  (Read 4910 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Sadly...U can turn off the icons...but not the attitude
« on: May 30, 2010, 11:03:16 PM »
Great idea but at the end of the day its the same old same old....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
Re: Sadly...U can turn off the icons...but not the attitude
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:15:32 PM »
what happen?
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 11:27:01 PM »
Someone must have said something dumb to Humble.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 11:40:11 PM »
Good lord, I could care less what anyone says to me. I watched the CT go to garbage, my hope is that the no icon setup gives the AvA a fresh set of legs. At the end of the day it will be up to the player base, if the attitudes stay the same it'll be a "historical MA" with no icons. When you have a small group  its important to exercise some common sense. When its 8 or 10 on 1,2 or 3 flying 262's makes no sense. When you see a guy one on 3 or so why not let the fight play out ore even better switch sides. I've got no problem flying toward 4 or 5 red dots, and I don't have any expectation of a "fair fight". But when you have no common sense at all exercised then its a wasted effort over the long run. The CT was about balance and a sense of fair play, this is a continuation of a circle jerk. Great intentions and a wonderful idea, but the folks who frequent it need to decide what they want.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 11:59:45 PM »
Always the double edged sword. An extremely sparsely populated gentleman's dueling arena or a multi-style arena with larger population and all that goes with that.

Hopefully it finds a happy medium.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 12:15:26 AM »
I'm not asking for a "gentleman's dueling arena". I'd like to see a bit of common sense from those who are regulars. I had some fun fun fights but it reaches a point of absurdity. When its 9 on 1 and 4 of the 9 are 262's I think that a few of the folks involved need to contemplate what they really want. When your on the side with the #'s and you see a guy locked up in a 1 on 3 and you and your wingie decide to make it 5 on 1 vs continuing on looking for another fight I think your only contributing to the problem not the solution....

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 12:34:54 AM »
So "ganging" is the issue here. You'll get no argument from me on that, but I wasn't there tonight to see if it was worse than usual.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 12:36:31 AM »
On the one hand I can understand, but I've never been one to consider "balance" and "fair play" when it comes to combat simulations of any kind. I've found myself on the bad end of situations like that in the AvA more times than I can count and no matter how many times it happens, it's always a thrill because I learn something every time and once in a while I come out on top or I get away. With the AvA settings, if there is a lot of action going on, situations change so fast it's more difficult to stay out of a situation like that until you're already committed to do something.

If you find that yourself in a situation like that again, say something tactfully on 200 and bring it to everyone's attention. Most of the regulars will police themselves and at least try to get the new people to comply. I've seen it happen.
jarhed  

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 12:38:49 AM »
On the one hand I can understand, but I've never been one to consider "balance" and "fair play" when it comes to combat simulations of any kind. I've found myself on the bad end of situations like that in the AvA more times than I can count and no matter how many times it happens, it's always a thrill because I learn something every time and once in a while I come out on top or I get away. With the AvA settings, if there is a lot of action going on, situations change so fast it's more difficult to stay out of a situation like that until you're already committed to do something.

If you find that yourself in a situation like that again, say something tactfully on 200 and bring it to everyone's attention. Most of the regulars will police themselves and at least try to get the new people to comply. I've seen it happen.
jarhed  

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 12:47:39 AM »
You mean something like this?

I stopped in the AvA after furballing in the WWI arenas last night and flew there for the first time ever.

At first the players on the German side were all hugging the ack.  That was no fun.  Then they all ganged me 4-5 on one.  That was no fun.  I had a very hard time seeing where any of the enemy planes were without icons.  That was no fun.

I guess some people like it and to each their own but I don't think I'll be back.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 12:58:52 AM »
I'm not asking for a "gentleman's dueling arena". I'd like to see a bit of common sense from those who are regulars. I had some fun fun fights but it reaches a point of absurdity. When its 9 on 1 and 4 of the 9 are 262's I think that a few of the folks involved need to contemplate what they really want. When your on the side with the #'s and you see a guy locked up in a 1 on 3 and you and your wingie decide to make it 5 on 1 vs continuing on looking for another fight I think your only contributing to the problem not the solution....

agreed sir  :aok

seems that a simple approach at common sense would be asking if assistance is needed and if not, stay out of it!
   this is almost never the case from what i can see as most arenas are full to the brim with new guys and vets alike just trying to add a second or third kill to there name in lights.

I don't see the point in jumping into what looks like a nice 1v1 just to add to my tally.
I often think that when i am in a great 1v1 and it's gone on for a few minutes and some dope jumps in for the pick how the guy i was fightin feels about it.....

I'M just sayin....
froger

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 01:04:23 AM by froger »
frogs are people too

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 01:15:55 AM »
What is the CT? I don't think I've heard of it or been in there?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 03:36:51 AM »
This must have happened later, earlier the fights were good and equal.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 08:12:18 AM »
This must have happened later, earlier the fights were good and equal.

All in all I had a blast in the AvA over the weekend, to a degree even when it was bad it was good. There is a fine line that the regulars are going to find if they really want it to grow. I do realize that there is going to be a strong preference for certain planes and/or sides by most of us some of the time. The key is giving at least some thought to relative balance. It doesn't need to be even or balanced to be fun, but some feel for where the limits are needs to be nurtured if you want it to grow.

This is obviously just 1 persons opinion but I'd rather vent a bit and try and make folks aware then just leave which is what I think normally happens.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 08:30:13 AM »
Fudgums,

you guys are to be commended, hopefully this will breath new life into the AvA. I realize that different folks are going to have different idea's and that the very nature of a historical plane/vehicle set will create issues and occasional imbalance. At the same time with just a bit of common sense I do feel that this arena has a chance to be something special to a lot of folks besides me. I'm absolutely amazed at the difference icons have on ACM. I made the comment last night on country what a huge difference it makes for the 38 and cactus's comment back was "amen". You have a completely different feel to air combat thats hard to describe...here is a relatively short clip from last night that highlights the good, bad and ugly IMO.

My Logitech G940 lost connection and had to reset (which it does all to often, total piece of garbage) so thats the cause of the sudden hose of lead into the void and uncontrolled dive near the end. All the talk of "immersion" etc really makes sense once you dump the icons.
http://beachheadcrm.info/snaphook/lifeintheAvA.ahf
You may need to cycle the icons once (check and uncheck the icon box) to turn them off...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:21:51 AM by humble »