Author Topic: This week in the AvA: Okinawa 1945 - Operation Iceberg  (Read 2403 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: This week in the AvA: Okinawa 1945 - Operation Iceberg
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 12:12:30 PM »
so take your "NO ICONS" and shove them..... and thank you for taking away the only arena others and myself truely appreciated before the "no icon / supposedly more realistic, but it's not BS" that has just recently came about......
Yeah that says "good luck" in the nicest of terms. I especially like the "shove them" part. Coming from a trainer who should have a more open mind even. In case you didn't realize this, 8 years is a lifetime in gaming terms. In order for growth to occur, change must occur. Until the no enemy icons setting was put in place, the AvA was a graveyard, but then you have an excuse for that too don't you? This happened, that happened, this person did something and those people over there did something else. Excuses. I know you haven't noticed this, but there is now some excitement about the AvA, and the Staff members have brought in a group of terrain makers and with the development group everyone is working to try and enhance the future experiences of the people who are enjoying the different environment offered in the AvA.

I really doesn't matter what the past of the arena is or was, what matters is now, especially to the people who are enjoying what's being done in the AvA. What you as an experienced player with some sort of status in AH should be doing is actually trying it out for more than a single 5 minute jaunt without anyone in it. Then offer feedback with how it does or does not fit your desires, not like you did in the quoted statement as if someone took your squeaky toy away from you. And after having actually giving it more than 5 minutes of your precious time, when some unwary soul wanders into the TA and asks you for assistance in situational awareness or aerial combat maneuvers without enemy icons, you can educate them from knowledge rather than ignorance.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 12:27:23 PM »
so take your "NO ICONS" and shove them..... and thank you for taking away the only arena others and myself truely appreciated before the "no icon / supposedly more realistic, but it's not BS" that has just recently came about......

Oh jeez, let's go back to big red Icons so the arena can average about two players per day again.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 12:28:05 PM »
just because I have a tag hanging on my username does not mean I can not voice my "Personal opinion or view"

just because you may look at the stats of me and see that "TC" may have only tryed out the AvsA for 5 minutes, does not mean I have not flown in there under 2 or 3 of my other accounts, now does it

calling me ignorant is childish as well, gyrene81

and incase you missed it, I replyed with:
I was not really directing that at you or the AvsA staff Jaeger, I was specifically directing that at those who did not ever really fly in the CT or AvsA until just recently......

I understand why you did it, and as I said before hope it brings ALOT of people in for ya.....   :cheers:

however I said to others, I specifically quoted and replied to DktrEvil

the only thing I would need to teach people about regarding SA in the AvsA is watch out for the 3 or 4 that are waiting until you get into a fight then come and jump all over you and you will not be able to see them until it is too late.....

they call it wingman tactics...... I call it cheap excuse for not wanting to Fight but wanting to rack up kills....

as for the avsa being a graveyard, from what I have seen the same amount of people are flying their now maybe few more recently, but still nearly the same and at the same time of the day that has always flown there......

I'll be sure and post from now on that when I am not posting in the Help & Training or any other Help forum, that I am posting as an "AH Player" and not as a "Vol. staff member" in the rest of the damn message forums.....

will that satisfy your requirements ?

edit: jimson you got any proof of there being more people since the no icon rule or you just throwing that out there

I see the same amount of people flyin g as did before the newest settings.........
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:35:11 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 12:50:10 PM »
everyone is working to try and enhance the future experiences of the people who are enjoying the different environment offered in the AvA.

I really doesn't matter what the past of the arena is or was, what matters is now, especially to the people who are enjoying what's being done in the AvA. .

ok, gyrene, you posted the above,
so what do you tell those who participated in the AvsA before, with it being the only arena that has allied  vs axis plane sets, but don't care for the "no icons" rule that was currently implemented...... those that do not care for the new change and do not like to fly with no icons off?

what do "THOSE" players have in Aces High to go to to play in the way they could before this change?

is it only to benefit the new comers since the change, and to heck with anyone who enjoyed the arena before the change?

has anyone answered this question?  so Aces High might lose 5 or 10 long time players, just to maybe gain 5 or 10 new players?

something to think about...... but I am sure that some have already put away their flight controllers because of this change......

want some suggestions....... fly with "no icons" for 1 week, fly with "icons" for another or heck do it for a month then do the next month the opposite....

that way those that flew in the AvsA before the change can still find enjoyment and those that just recently started flying the AvsA can also have enjoyment.....

then everyone gets a piece of the action.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 01:02:04 PM »
edit: jimson you got any proof of there being more people since the no icon rule or you just throwing that out there
I see the same amount of people flyin g as did before the newest settings.........

I dunno. Maybe my bias causes me to see it that way?

TC, you are about the only one of the people that hates no icons that I respect because you are about the only one I actually saw spend a significant amount of time in there before.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy them as much as I and many others do.

the only thing I would need to teach people about regarding SA in the AvsA is watch out for the 3 or 4 that are waiting until you get into a fight then come and jump all over you and you will not be able to see them until it is too late.....

they call it wingman tactics...... I call it cheap excuse for not wanting to Fight but wanting to rack up kills....

You got any proof that this behavior is any worse than it was before?

I disagree with you assigning dweeb, gamer motives to those who like the settings. My kill ratio sucks as bad now as it did in the MA.

I'm just enjoying dying more now :lol

I see a long list of long time players with very positive comments about it.

If you can show that the AvsA has lost a lot of regular players over this change, that would help make your point.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 01:30:28 PM »
 Came into CT/AVA in 2001. Liked it before and I like it better now. I don't see how it benefits only new players, and personally I don't see why a no enemy icon setting should run anybody out of an arena that's setup to run Axis vs Allied setups. It does make it more immersive and if my blind butt can see and fight in there anybody can. It's not just the new guys that like it, from what I can tell many of the old timers like it as well. There's just not that many of either.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »
TC...Your a trainer..... You should support anything that help increase ones SA.
 No icons certainly does.

Just cause you don't like it, don't hold others back.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:09:49 PM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 02:02:52 PM »
TC why don't you try and give it another shot this week? Granted it may be an acquired taste. A few weeks after it was tried with the Midway setup a midwar PTO was ran with the F4U1 P-38G F4F and P-40E against the Ki-61 A6M5 and A6M2. I think that's where the settings really came into their own and it was very enjoyable, much more so than the Midway setup. The F4U is available this week that should make any settings more palatable for you. :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 02:14:22 PM »
want some suggestions....... fly with "no icons" for 1 week, fly with "icons" for another or heck do it for a month then do the next month the opposite....

that way those that flew in the AvsA before the change can still find enjoyment and those that just recently started flying the AvsA can also have enjoyment.....

Right or wrong, the current AvA community feels that they have momentum and new excitement with this setting.

Going back to icons for a week or more at a time probably not something that would get a lot of support right now.

Maybe a pitch could be made for one night a week?

Call it "newcomer" night or something.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »
first off I'm no "new guy" been simming for over 12 years by far in all the sims

same here, but for over 15 years and in all the different WWII games

.....No icons is far more enjoyable....

is a personal preference decided on by each person individually I would say

Icons are for the noobs.....

that's funny, guess I'll stay in the kiddie pool then

let go of your beloved red crutch.

its not a crutch it is a choice, although if you would like I would be glad to come to the AvsA and show you or anyone else,how much of a crutch it is not

Besides TC were have you been?

I been here, I fly as TC in FSO & KOTH, then sometimes in the MA with squaddies if they ask me

rest of time I am flying under my other accts and I fly in almost every arena each month........

AvA has had far more population with out Icons that with in the recent months..

is really each persons personal biased opinion I would say, and to truly say that one would have to monitor the attendance and that just isn't gonna happen, is it

Your a trainer, act like one....

I do not understand why some of you keep attacking me for my Trainer status, really

exactly how does a person suppose to act? I must have missed that post........ I guess I am not entitled to my on freaking opinion, huh?

You should support anything that help increase ones SA. No icons certainly does.
I don't think it helps ones SA really....... its just an Arena setting nothing more nothing less......

In my opinion, it only benefits those who do not have the ability to make it in a 1 vs 1, or 2 vs 1, or many vs 1 engagement ..... as I posted above

and those type of engagements happened in the old Arena settings as well, it was just easier to defend against them because you could see the cherry pickers coming sooner, not just a lil black dot on the monitor

Just cause you cant hang, don't hold others back.

I am not holding anyone back, and what reason do you say I can't hang?
I don't ever recall you smacking me around in the past 10 years in any arena

does anyone else want to verbally attack me........... seems people want to blast names or cutdowns at me.......

EDIT: I am going to take the advice of a Friend, and make an effort to spend some time in there as TC over the weekend

hopefully I will see some of you online  :salute
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:26:35 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »
Hope to see you in there TC.   :salute
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »
 :salute TC,

hope it grows on ya!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 05:41:08 PM »
Sorry, wife ack had me running errands.  :(

ok, gyrene, you posted the above,
so what do you tell those who participated in the AvsA before, with it being the only arena that has allied  vs axis plane sets, but don't care for the "no icons" rule that was currently implemented...... those that do not care for the new change and do not like to fly with no icons off?

what do "THOSE" players have in Aces High to go to to play in the way they could before this change?
Amazing that none of THOSE people to whom you refer have not been in the AvA for a lot longer than the last couple of months since the no icons was implemented. The "absentees" have been using other excuses to stay out of the AvA, as in "before <blah blah player> started doing <blah blah> and caused everyone else to leave the sandbox...and johnny did this...and johnny did that...and jenny took a dump in the pool". Like I said that was then, this is now.

From my Mississippi redneck point of view, all ya'll just been using other folks behavior as an excuse for your ya'lls lack of imagination. Sittin on the porch with the big dogs is a lot more boring than playin in the mud with the pups. Just look at all the folks that have quit AH over the years "because it got boring" and it had nothing to do with the AvA.

is it only to benefit the new comers since the change, and to heck with anyone who enjoyed the arena before the change?

has anyone answered this question?  so Aces High might lose 5 or 10 long time players, just to maybe gain 5 or 10 new players?

something to think about...... but I am sure that some have already put away their flight controllers because of this change......
Aces High lost a lot more than 5 or 10 with the new graphics update, but look at what's been going on since. Lot's of long time players are still around and new players are joining in. There are more players with over 2 years in AH that are enjoying the AvA settings now than there are people with ~1 year.

You make a good suggestion but for one little thing, one of the biggest complaints from all corners has been a lack of consistency in the AvA, be it settings, setups, etc... what you recommend would just add another inconsistency.

I do not understand why some of you keep attacking me for my Trainer status, really
No one is attacking you for your trainer status. We are pointing out what you seem to be missing with that status...it's the fact that words like "AH Training Corps", AvA Staff Member", "Aces High CM Staff", etc... puts the people with those tags on a higher platform than the rest of us lowly players. It means that as a trainer, you are supposedly a respected member of this community and someone who a person should be able go to for help with some aspect of their flying. Strangely enough, for the unknowing people that may cross your path or see one of your diatribes in these forums, what you say about the AvA could influence their decision to not try something they may not have experienced before.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline DktrEvil

• Copper Member
      • TheFunZone.com
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 05:42:35 PM »
just so you know... their are some of us here who flew in the CT / AvsA for many years as it was "WITH ICONS" and only had problems when others came in and decided they needed to change the way things were

I am not new to the AvA but I haven't flown for awhile because it was so BORING (lack of participants mostly).  I have been a no icon advocate for years (look at my old posts if you like) even when I flew in Warbirds. As a Veteran milkrunner, er, ah, I mean pilot, I am very excited about these settings and hope it leads to bigger and better things. Dare I say, a true no icons for enemy or friend, be still my heart.

the "NO ICONS" only came about earlier this year..... ( like 3 or 4 months ago )

Yes, and I have been giving thanks ever since.

so in doing so it watermelon canned those who loved the arena the way it was before ......

all 6 of em
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 05:44:55 PM by DktrEvil »
+Dr Evil's Death Squadron+

Let this be a lesson to you all that this organization will not tolerate .......... F-a-i-l-u-r-e!

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »
Sry TC a bit harsh on my part I was venting.I had thought better of my post and quickly edited it but not fast enough..

We are working twored something very good here that is different from the usual icon settings available in all the other arenas witch I personally cant stand.

If not for the current AvA settings of no icons, I would end my account...

At least there is one arena were some can find sanctuary from Icons...

I think after a week or two you would find it a whole new experience many others have found it to be allot of fun once they gave it a chance including me..

One side note....
 No icons definitely helps SA, you simply need much more of it to survive without the big red bill boared.

Anything that helps with SA is good for a pilots skill set. As a trainer you should send some of your advanced students into this arena for improving their SA.
:salute
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 05:51:07 PM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi