Author Topic: pedals  (Read 2457 times)

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
Re: pedals
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »
That's what I'm hoping for.  I'm just concerned that with no buttons, I won't be able to calibrate it with windows.  If calibration within windows is not necessary, then I'm golden.  I just have to buy an adapter.  I just don't want to spend the 15 + shipping for the adapter if it won't work.  How did you calibrate Fugitive?
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2010, 07:09:43 PM »
Four years I used ASD for rudder. CH peds ftw.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2010, 08:14:26 PM »
That's what I'm hoping for.  I'm just concerned that with no buttons, I won't be able to calibrate it with windows.  If calibration within windows is not necessary, then I'm golden.  I just have to buy an adapter.  I just don't want to spend the 15 + shipping for the adapter if it won't work.  How did you calibrate Fugitive?

I'm not sure why you think you need a button to calibrate in windows. If you do you can always use the return key on your keyboard.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2010, 08:30:28 PM »
I'm not sure why you think you need a button to calibrate in windows. If you do you can always use the return key on your keyboard.

Because clicking on the "Next" button during the Window's calibration routine just skips you to the next calibration screen without saving the calibration of the previous screen.  To properly calibrate your stick in Windows, you needed to press a button on your joystick to save the calibration routine before moving on to the next calibration step.

As far as I know, Microsoft never changed it and it's still that way in XP but it might be different in Vista or W7.  However, most joystick manufacturers have been able to circumvent that by using their own calibration routines, like CH's in current version of Control Manager.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2010, 09:09:33 PM »
Thats how I did Ack, just clicked next each time and hit save at the end. Worked fine and never had a trouble with them.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2010, 01:23:15 PM »
OK, I'm a little short on cash right now. Would I do better to get a comparatively cheap one, or shell out for a more expensive one?
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 01:25:59 PM »
But apparently enough to post.

ack-ack

just barely
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »
OK, I'm a little short on cash right now. Would I do better to get a comparatively cheap one, or shell out for a more expensive one?

Expensive what?  Set of rudder pedals?  Just get whatever your budget allows.  Cheap ones should work just fine... just don't be surprised if the pot wears out prematurely or the mechanism doesn't last very long... but I would still think you'd at least get several months out of them...

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2010, 04:26:26 PM »
After having pedals you won't want anything else. :aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2010, 04:42:17 PM »

You can always build your own.  It's not very hard, just need to be a little handy with tools and takes about 8 hours to build.  You'll need to get a USB game port adaptor so you can use them but for around $30, it's a good way to start using pedals and letting you save some cash to get some better ones down the line.

How To -- Make Your Own Rudder Pedals With Toebrakes

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2010, 06:13:50 PM »
thanks for the link ack-ack.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »
I likes my saitek pedals.  I like them better than CH because they are spread the proper distance apart. I have had both types of Ch pedals. The Saiteks have a smoother action and take up less space. There is also an adjustable tension setting. I mounted them to an aluminum base I built for my pit. I fly barefoot so I put some Dr. Scholls Gels on them and hold em down with rubber bands, very comfortable.

Infidelz

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2010, 08:29:26 AM »
I likes my saitek pedals.  I like them better than CH because they are spread the proper distance apart. I have had both types of Ch pedals. The Saiteks have a smoother action and take up less space. There is also an adjustable tension setting. I mounted them to an aluminum base I built for my pit. I fly barefoot so I put some Dr. Scholls Gels on them and hold em down with rubber bands, very comfortable.

Infidelz

I'm not at all keen on Saitek pedals. although I don't think I could ever go back to twisty stick, the Saiteks have a particularly vague centre position and the return springs are weak. I often find myself with some input, thus sapping E. I've messed with scaling but I find this to be a difficult problem to solve.
Anyone know of a solution, or is this a duff set?
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2010, 05:49:06 PM »
I'm not at all keen on Saitek pedals. although I don't think I could ever go back to twisty stick, the Saiteks have a particularly vague centre position and the return springs are weak. I often find myself with some input, thus sapping E. I've messed with scaling but I find this to be a difficult problem to solve.
Anyone know of a solution, or is this a duff set?

It is too bad about your pedals. There is no bias in the set I have. You could try to put in a dead zone, but that defeats the purpose of the thing and makes aiming difficult. Check your control panel and see if there is something wrong with them? If so perhaps they can be returned under 1 year warranty? The hall effect pedals that simpeds sells would fix your problem but break your wallet.

Infidelz

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2010, 10:10:58 AM »
Ok I have a question ... I don't know if you can do this but if you have a set of racing sim pedals, can those be used like rudder pedals?? Just a stupid question.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail