Author Topic: Classic screwups - can you top this?  (Read 1474 times)

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
Classic screwups - can you top this?
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:53:32 AM »
Okay, despite whatever self-aggrandizing claims I may make regarding my education or intelligence, I, occasionally, can do things that are, frankly, really box-o-rocks dumb. I know this may come as a surprise. :huh

My previous high point in AH came when I, flying a Spit, savagely attacked one of my own side's Lancs, only to find my wings torn off by Hispano shells.

I think I topped that last w/e. I haven't had much time for flying lately since summer is a really busy time for me due to my USTA involvement and my little side 501(c) 3 that runs tourneys in Ann Arbor. However, because I'm now in one of my builder's rentals waiting for him to finish my new house, I've got an offsetting time save in that I'm not needing to take care of a house until September - that means no time on projects like basement finishing, yard stuff, etc. Thus, I'm back and playing.

I've gone back to flying the G-14 almost exclusively since I love it. I fly mostly with the gondos and usually try to get a bounce - though you can fight with the G-14 from an E disadvantage since it's got an E "mass specific income" that is truly excellent. Anyway, my squaddies and I were trying to take a port and I decided to help out in the de-acking/vehicle killing by loading the 250lb bomb on my centerline. I made a couple of shuttles that way. We ended up taking the port, bfd...

Some time later on Saturday  I found myself engaged against a high -47 and wondering why I couldn't seem to get a turn or a vertical advantage - even after I'd worked him down to co-alt. Don't get me wrong - I've seen good -47 flying (Hajo killed me once and sent a 200 channel message after he'd shot up my Dora - something like "stick-stir THAT!"). Still, from a co-E 109G-14 at relatively modest alts I entirely expect to be able to outmaneuver such a pig. The 47 pilot ended up causing me to bail after a fight of several minutes. I also had a later battle with a -38 and -40 where it seemed like that damn -38J always had my six. Result: another bail or death. Later,  I chased some Lancs up to 20k and wondered why they seemed to be outclimbing me. I had no alternative but a dead six attack that resulted in engine loss. I was able to deadstick back to base.

Of course, I'd neglected to stop carrying the stupid bomb around. It doesn't need to be said: the 109G-14 is significantly less maneuverable when you strap a f***ing barndoor brick to it.

I landed some kills after taking getting rid of the bomb last night - a modest two. It felt like taking the donut off the bat. Occasionally, I'll drop the gondos as well - THAT feels really good. 

Anyway, I make no claims of infallibility - or even of special competence, given my just-beyond rookie status, but I'm better without the bomb.                                               

Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: Classic screwups - can you top this?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:05:47 AM »
Heh, something else (I THINK this applies to all LW planes) Is carrying a bomb or an external fuel tank leaves a rack attached to the plane which costs you as much as 8 knots after the ord is gone.....once in a while, that number looms large :huh
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:09:06 AM »
Heh, something else (I THINK this applies to all LW planes) Is carrying a bomb or an external fuel tank leaves a rack attached to the plane which costs you as much as 8 knots after the ord is gone.....once in a while, that number looms large :huh

Yep, see elsewhere on this bbs - the Dora loses something like that for the drop rack. I also believe empty Granatwerfer tubes cost you.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »
Slow, full flaps, on the deck trying to manage to hit a C-47... in a 262.

Look.  A Tempest waaaay up there coming my way....

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 01:06:19 PM »
Slow, full flaps, on the deck trying to manage to hit a C-47... in a 262.

Look.  A Tempest waaaay up there coming my way....

wrongway

I'd call that honest - especially since you probably came away with diminished poikies (and poikies hoits).

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 01:58:18 PM »
Sometimes I shoot the bad guys instead of my squad mates, or worse yet clear a squad mates 6.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »
Landed and ended a 5 kill mission once, at the base we were attacking, before we captured it.  Several expletives were immediately expressed.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »
i fly the p-38j almost exclusively. i fly with a light internal fuel load, and 2 drop tanks.

ever since i came back, i've almost always forgotten to get rid of them.

fought a guy in a 190a5 the other night....almost 5 minutes before i realized they were still hanging there, with close to 200 gallons of fuel in em. got rid of them, and the fight became easier....and i fubared him.....but i thought i saw his entire tail come off. i mistakenly relaxed a bit, and wnet into a climb, looking for him to hit the ground. what i saw instead was tracers ripping me apart.  :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
I think it was about two....hmmmm maybe five tours back I upped one of those P38 things..wasn't pretty...then to top it off, I decided that I'd go for a ride in an F4U...The experience...welll let's just say it was a screw up  :lol :lol :lol. One day I might learn how those planes work but till then, I'll stick to my import.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 03:25:15 PM »
I may be able to top that.

Back a few months ago, I would always play AH. Even when the weather was bad. I would boast on range and on squad...
A few days after a really big boast, lightning struck my neighbors house. Now my router is bad and I can't fly at all.  :cry

:lol :lol :lol :cheers:
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »
Some time ago, I joined an NOE base capture mission as the only goon. We flew under DAR for over four sectors… The other guys quickly capped the enemy field and took down the town…

Then I rushed in with my goon… and dropped vehicle supplies instead of troops.
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
In a B25 H trying to shoot a flak with the 75, when nothing was happening and the flak murdered me, I looked at my text buffer in the tower and had about 30 "your doors are not open" mesages , I accidentally switched to bombs on my attack run.
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »
Apparently you also had an itchy trigger finger...
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »
well when nothing happend the first time I clicked rather then doing the smart thing and looking for the problem, I just kept trying in rapid succession
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »
accidentally left my mic open one night and got shot down.  the language was, shall we say, colorful?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute