Author Topic: Young Players  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Young Players
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2010, 03:18:20 PM »
On Squad vox we just have to deal with Soulyss, when in the middle of a sea of red , screaming.... OH GOD OH GOD!!!!!!!!!!

We dive in to save him and usually all auger or hit trees. We misjudge the ground through the tears.  We can't really help him through the tears of laughter.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:31:23 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2010, 03:28:26 PM »
Ah, so pointing out the truth is juvenile and anyone else who post in contradiction is making a crappy post.

Don,t get me wrong, I agree with you. It takes a small person to cuss at little kids. But, it may not be a bar or a nightclub but it is still the internet and my views on children on the internet still stand.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2010, 03:42:20 PM »
A vast majority of profane pm's that I have received have come from the kids.

Just curious - if it's a PM how can you tell the age of the sender?

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »
There is really no reason for foul language in a game like this especially if those of you are using the "mainly adult " reasoning. A group of civilized adults that do not really know each other pretty well should not be using such language towards each other let alone berating each other whether it be with such language or not.

You are exactly right.  Civilized adults should not be speaking to each other that way.  However, we all know that in fact it does happen, because not everyone is 'fully civilized.'  Furthermore, if the person is not 'civilized' enough to respect that children might be present and say something untoward, then I assure you that posting a comment about uncivilized behavior on this BBS is NOT going to help the problem.  If that person does not care to avoid cussing about our around children they don't care what you think either.

That having been said, if you have developed a way to change the behavior of men and women all over the world to behave responsibly, then I would personnally like to be the first person to nominate you to both the US Congress and the United Nations.  You can single handedly get the idiots in Congress to stop spending all my money on the moron down the street who refuses to work, and you can stop all world terrorism.  We can all sit and sing Cum-by-yah hand in hand.

Back to the point --  I am not justifying bad behavior.  The OP is correct in his anger and frustration.  The point; however, is that bad bahvoir is going to happen.  It is our responsibility as parents to protect them from potential harm.  Take for example Playboy magazine.  We would not want our children thumbing through Playboy because that is stuff they don't need to know yet.  So, we keep them from getitng into our (adult) secret stash.  Have you written Playboy to complain that their material is not appropriate to juveniles?  Likely not... you just don't let your child read it.

Same thing here...  Yes, AH is NOT an adult only game.  But adults are here and they are drinking -- that is a fact.  And, until a moderator hears the potty-mouth and mutes him/her, your child may get exposed to vulgar language -- that also is a fact.

Again, let me reiterate... the OP is correct in his anger and desire to keep this language from his child.  But, you are not going to change the behavior of the ill-hearted.  So, you must take other steps to protect YOUR child.  This is YOUR responsibility not HTC's.  

And to the others who complained that they should not have to monitor their children on the internet......  :huh :huh  REALLY????????    Again tards and turds the world over have access to say and do anything they want in front of your child and YOU DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE TO MONITOR THEM??????    :huh :huh  Holy Crap...  I don't think I have ever heard something so stupid in my life.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:27:10 PM by NCLawman »
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2010, 04:47:50 PM »
I only posted because it seemed others (not you law) seemed to be trying to say that children should not be allowed into game at all because of the mainly adult mentality.

As far as your example of Playboy they are there one purpose and that has no business with children at all. There are however rules about such profane vocabulary and we may not be able to change those people but they can be mitigated to a degree and for the most part I think they do a decent job.

my main thing is report/report/report
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »
Might not be a bad idea to have a thing show up in your text buffer which STATES you've been reported....if ya only find out a day or 3 later, the punishment is far less effective, and difficult to associate with original behavior
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2010, 05:01:03 PM »
               ^
              ^^
             ^^^
            ^^^^
           ^^^^^
                |
                |
                |
     Agree with both last 2 posts.
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2010, 06:44:16 PM »
To Pancerace,

Gospel!

:aok

mobilis in mobile

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2010, 06:59:41 PM »
You are exactly right.  Civilized adults should not be speaking to each other that way.  However, we all know that in fact it does happen, because not everyone is 'fully civilized.'  Furthermore, if the person is not 'civilized' enough to respect that children might be present and say something untoward, then I assure you that posting a comment about uncivilized behavior on this BBS is NOT going to help the problem.  If that person does not care to avoid cussing about our around children they don't care what you think either.

That having been said, if you have developed a way to change the behavior of men and women all over the world to behave responsibly, then I would personnally like to be the first person to nominate you to both the US Congress and the United Nations.  You can single handedly get the idiots in Congress to stop spending all my money on the moron down the street who refuses to work, and you can stop all world terrorism.  We can all sit and sing Cum-by-yah hand in hand.

Back to the point --  I am not justifying bad behavior.  The OP is correct in his anger and frustration.  The point; however, is that bad bahvoir is going to happen.  It is our responsibility as parents to protect them from potential harm.  Take for example Playboy magazine.  We would not want our children thumbing through Playboy because that is stuff they don't need to know yet.  So, we keep them from getitng into our (adult) secret stash.  Have you written Playboy to complain that their material is not appropriate to juveniles?  Likely not... you just don't let your child read it.

Same thing here...  Yes, AH is NOT an adult only game.  But adults are here and they are drinking -- that is a fact.  And, until a moderator hears the potty-mouth and mutes him/her, your child may get exposed to vulgar language -- that also is a fact.

Again, let me reiterate... the OP is correct in his anger and desire to keep this language from his child.  But, you are not going to change the behavior of the ill-hearted.  So, you must take other steps to protect YOUR child.  This is YOUR responsibility not HTC's.  

And to the others who complained that they should not have to monitor their children on the internet......  :huh :huh  REALLY????????    Again tards and turds the world over have access to say and do anything they want in front of your child and YOU DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE TO MONITOR THEM??????    :huh :huh  Holy Crap...  I don't think I have ever heard something so stupid in my life.

I was going to say the exact same thing earlier today, even using the playboys as an example.....  :lol 

Your absolutely correct and I didnt want to bring it up fearing he would take it in a negative way. 
Its a parenting issue for starters.   I have two children myself and do all I must do to protect them from things that may not be acceptable by my standards, if keeping them off this game because of some cursing may slip out well thats the risk I must take or keep them off the game, but also use the tools that are in place to report the incident, not bring it here to complain about your risk that you took and lost.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2010, 07:43:20 PM »
Just curious - if it's a PM how can you tell the age of the sender?

<S>

There is a little thing that pops up next to the private message that tells you the players name. Been playing quite a while and I do know who the squeakers are. It doesn't take rocket science.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »
You and I have had go arounds in the past, more from miscommunication than anything.   But to cuss, is beyond comprehension for me.

thanks pal.  the odd thing about me is that if I don't like someone...they don't exist.  I rarely if ever speak to or with them.  conversly..if I dig someone..and especially if I think they're good at the art of flingin' poo...I enjoy flingin' it back with them.  I always dug our exchanges....and you're actually most of the reason I monitor ch 200.....I'm of a big fan of the way you can set people up..then set them off there.  I think you could have done well in talk radio actually.

more importantly though...your musical tastes are spot-on.  it's like you raided my old album collection.

and oh by the way...Cheap Trick added new dates in september to their live Sgt pepper show..at the Paris hotel in vegas...it was scheduled to end...and they added some dates next month.  I know you dig robin and the boys...and seeing them do this show with a full orchestra...is nothing short of amazing.  I highly recommend you get out there to see the show before it's gone for good.

check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUio17-eZKE
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:36:45 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2010, 09:04:28 PM »
I was going to say the exact same thing earlier today, even using the playboys as an example.....  :lol 

Your absolutely correct and I didnt want to bring it up fearing he would take it in a negative way. 
Its a parenting issue for starters.   I have two children myself and do all I must do to protect them from things that may not be acceptable by my standards, if keeping them off this game because of some cursing may slip out well thats the risk I must take or keep them off the game, but also use the tools that are in place to report the incident, not bring it here to complain about your risk that you took and lost.

Personally I did not take the OP as a complaint as much as a warning to those guilty of the offenses. Now the thing that goes with that is most of the offenders of such actions are not necessarily going to be on the BB's. I don't issue warnings for these actions. As far as I am concerned you got your warning when you agreed to the rules put in place by HTC and excessive foul language and berating other players is something that I report immediately and not just for the kiddies but because there are many adults who find those things offensive as well and don't want to hear it.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2010, 09:48:31 PM »
I posted this in 2007 for what was essentially the same situation. I still think it's relevant, so here it is:

-------------snip----------------

Now then. When I was a kid, (and by that, I mean, under 10 years old) I was a gifted athlete. I played both soccer and baseball with adults in an adult "fun league" on the weekends, with my parents blessings.

My parents were told that if I acted like a child, I wouldn't be invited any more, and then that's what they told me.

My parents also told me that I'd probably hear a lot of swearing and that I'd see people drinking beer after games, but that swearing was inappropriate for a child so if I was caught swearing myself they'd stop me from playing. No beer either; same rules.

I played in that league for 3 or 4 years, so I guess I acted OK as far as other players and my parents were concerned.

So with that all said, I'm going to to out on a limb and say that Aces High really is an adult game, much like those fun leagues I used to play in, regardless of how HiTech markets the game.  (However: Aces High is advertised on The History Channel, not Cartoon Network or Fox Kids -- think about it.)

Certainly, kids are welcome to play, but no one wants to deal with childish behavior. In the absence of parents to complain to, childish kids (and childish adults, for that matter) are going to take the brunt of other people's frustration themselves because we can't call their parents and tell them to make their child behave.

Similarly, parents who let children play Aces High should be aware that their kids will be exposed to adult discussions and jokes. I'm pretty sure you'd tell your kid that if they were playing sports with other adults.

Finally, in my experience with this game and other online games, kids only get subjected to truly nasty adult behavior when they start acting childish - and usually they have to act VERY childish over a period of time.  When kids don't act childish, they normally fit in just fine.

(text about that 2007 incident edited)

If true, as a parent, it is *your* responsibility to see to it that your kid doesn't act in such a way to incur the wrath of others.

If not true, and you kid was truly spoken to this way out of the blue and for no reason, then I'm sorry. Really. No sarcasm intended.

-----------------snip------------

As you described it, it sounds like your kid got swore at by a jerk for no real reason, and that's a shame. When I usually hear folks laying into a kid, however, the kid has been pressing everyone's buttons for a while by acting like a brat, and I have no sympathy for the kid in these situations, and I hope you as a doting parent are objectively looking at what your kid was doing when someone laid into him.

But when all is said and done, this is really a game populated by adults that just happens to have some kid players, not the other way around. You should have known what your kid might be exposed to in this game and probably should have even talked to him/her about it beforehand. Asking people to "be nice" only gets you so far, and reporting bad behavior doesn't prevent your child's Virgin Ears from hearing this in the first place.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2010, 10:10:31 PM »
really wat did your kid do to get people to swear at him? sometimes i like to get under peoples skin just because im bored and i think the worst thing anyone ever said to me was "ratbag"  heck i really dont recall any harsh profanity, ur kid must of really been goobin it up....but if not well this is the interdnet, maybe u can invest in a profanity filtering hearing aid that your innocent child can wear :D

actually i think ive stumbled onto a gold mine! what if little kids wore hearing aids that replaced words of profanity with wonderful little fortune cookie sayings.

for example.

bad person: little billy you are a real %$#^#@%!.

hears what billy hear:little billy you are a real "a dollar saved is a dollar earned"!

yeah ill make millions. dont jack my idea
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »
i have a full blown squeek in my crew. he understands he can annoy people so rarely uses vox instead types most. i also have a few under 18s. none of the above ever annoy me... <S> to mature squeeks.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy