Author Topic: TrackIR 5  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
TrackIR 5
« on: August 19, 2010, 01:24:28 PM »
<S> all!

I just received my TrackIR 5 yesterday (first trackIR product I have owned), and I have to say it's pretty sweet, aside from feeling like I'm gonna throw up half the time ;)

My question is, does anyone have any tips or tricks for rear view, I am having a hell of a time looking behind me without shutting off the trackIR temporarily to use my pre-set view.

I've played with the configuration, and it seems that I can get the trackIR sensitive enough to rotate to 180 degrees; however, looking around everywhere else is so sensitive that it makes it tough to stay centered on target.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline 68Mason

• Copper Member
Re: TrackIR 5
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:30:31 PM »
<S>

What I have found that works for me is that I turn my head so that I am looking at the headrest and then move to either side to look around the headrest.

It took me approx 10 hours to get over the "virtual motion" sickness...now I have found I cannot fly without TrackIR!

Good luck!
Commanding Officer
68th Bombardment Squadron
"Fighting 68th"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »
<S> all!

I just received my TrackIR 5 yesterday (first trackIR product I have owned), and I have to say it's pretty sweet, aside from feeling like I'm gonna throw up half the time ;)

My question is, does anyone have any tips or tricks for rear view, I am having a hell of a time looking behind me without shutting off the trackIR temporarily to use my pre-set view.

I've played with the configuration, and it seems that I can get the trackIR sensitive enough to rotate to 180 degrees; however, looking around everywhere else is so sensitive that it makes it tough to stay centered on target.

Any help would be appreciated!

I’ve been using TrackIR for a number of years.  I have never changed the settings and use it pretty much out of the box and it works fine.  I do keep blinds closed in the room where I fly  and ensure that the lighting within the room does not interfere .
I don’t know if you have any actual time in an aircraft cockpit but I have thousands of hours and I found the TrackIR to be very close to presenting a feeling of  the real thing.  So when I’m trying to look back over  my left shoulder,  I have to turn my head  left and lean a little bit in that direction  to see around any obstruction.  Same when looking back over my right shoulder.   The way the TrackIR interprets  the movements to translate the view, really adds to my enjoyment of the game.

Is it perfect, no, but it’s worth the effort .   the vertigo will pass.  Keep some ginger ale and ginger cookies around to snake on.  Ginger really does help. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
Pand set some deadband on your forward view to make it easier to stay centered looking forward.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 05:53:31 AM »
On BBS someone posted some good track-ir settings.

For rear views I use programmed buttons and track-ir together.

I push a back-view button and i use track-ire to move left or right my virtual body.

Very important is the z-axis settings. If this is good then you get best rear and front views.

Some link:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,262111.0.html

mobilis in mobile

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 05:58:19 AM »
mobilis in mobile

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 07:21:58 AM »
just hooked it up a week ago and found this helps.....   lean left(or right) tilt and twist neck, dislocate shoulder, strain eyes to edge of popping out...oh yeah close one, and dont forget to vomit on keyboard. at least till you use the forementioned link. :joystick:

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:16:09 AM »
 :O

I'm using those settings.

They are very similar to those i put on after i read the first link i posted.

I change z axis a bit.

:salute

mobilis in mobile

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 05:03:25 PM »
Thank you all for the help!! I've gotten it almost usable, and need to fine tune it a little more.... now to just get used to it ;)

<S> All!

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 11:14:15 AM »
Sort of a noobish question, but what is a trackIR?
ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 11:28:29 AM »
But if you are turning your head you will be looking of the screen right?
ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 11:34:26 AM »
You can scale it... for example, turn your head 15 degrees to the right, you're looking 90 degrees in the game.... 30 degrees to the right, is 180 degrees in the game... etc.

Regards,

Pandemonium

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »
But if you are turning your head you will be looking of the screen right?

Trust me, it ain't bad.  Completely scaled, and it's AWESOME once you get a good profile and keep it for a while. 
"You rebel scum"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 11:57:46 AM »
Yep, what the others have said.  I have a 24" widescreen about an arm's length away.  I turn my head so my nose points to the edge of the monitor and my in-game head is 180 degrees looking straight back.  Some have gotten queasy from the motion, some can't get used to it, yet others complain about the back view being horrible in some planes.

If you get motion sickness easily, perhaps this isn't for you.
If you can't get used to it, you're not giving it enough time.
If you can't see behind you easily, you don't have the profile set up very well.

:D
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals