Author Topic: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD  (Read 23280 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD
« Reply #195 on: October 14, 2010, 09:21:52 AM »
Lusch.....It was worth a shot.... :D

Late last night it was obvious how a hoard can simply overwhelm a base's defences when the fight is 30+ vs 10 defenders. For the hoard it's emmidiate catharsis because the odds of any real pain or defeat is a shared fractional of a statisticly safe initiative. The end result is a no brainer gaurantee of vulches and victory against a small number of players willing to draw a line in the sand against such odds. Some of us enjoy this occasionly. It is a visceral emediate satisfaction akin to being a meth addict. Remember all games have a biological component called endorphin and adrenalin. So to, delayed gratification is a hallmark of a mature person.

Many of us though would like a challenge before acheiving a well earned victory or even defeat. Some competition with a hard running fight that tests the whole cadre of competitors so when you win you feel tried and tested. When you loose it was worth every moment of your effort but, now you are coming back for blood. So Old School.....

The radar change initially created great fights. But, slowley the large hoard attackers have learned to simply swamp the target with so many bodies no epic battle is always possible. If a simliarly large group of defenders do not respond in the first minute of an attack, the base will eventualy fall to superior numbers. This is because the defences do not reflect the ongoing genisis and genius of the dedicated base taking AH culture. Last night I learned the magic number to overwhelm large airfeilds in 60 seconds. 30 jabo P47. 30 P47 with their red Icons clustered on an airfeild block out your monitor with a red spider web of text and make vulching any single plane a challenge. 30 P47 become their own 50.cal air defence when you pull up from a vulch and they all open up from under you.

We are arguing about symptoms that each of us are exposed to of a larger demographic shift in the game. We are seeing groups of players who feel comfortable in not fighting as an individual like many of us dialoging in this POST. A conflict of operational and generational moral codes. We see a growth in the unwillingness to fight as an indivdual. We see groups entering fights with altitiude and still being unwilling to engage agressive lesser numbers of defenders. We see an unwilligness to engage as a group unless the cost for victory is weighted heavily in that groups favor. Didn't I see awhile back a new player honestly ask how to access the AH God Mode codes or hotkeys in the tech help forum? In the Wishlist Forum is a request for perk payable feild "MODS" to gain a technological edge. Shades of the Halo and WWW first person world.

HiTech can only give us more toys to distract us and cleverly tweek the environment to engage us. How we interact with each other is the gist of our problem. You are trying to solve human nature problems by asking HiTech to program more clever puzzles and mazes to distract us with. Eventualy we will outsmart the new puzzels and mazes bringing the human nature problem back to the table. First define the real problem. Then determin how to make use of the answer to benifit the game.

+1

Some might want to win a base just by flying more numbers into the same sector. They could have the town and not have to fire one shot. Looks like the current setup may just be too challenging. Instead of developing a method of capture why not just make it easier..... sort of a lower common denominator type thing. Some of our schools are doing it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
« Reply #196 on: October 14, 2010, 09:32:13 AM »
+1

Some might want to win a base just by flying more numbers into the same sector. They could have the town and not have to fire one shot. Looks like the current setup may just be too challenging. Instead of developing a method of capture why not just make it easier..... sort of a lower common denominator type thing. Some of our schools are doing it.

WOW Shuffler........two thumbs up Bro.  :aok :aok

Hopefully our keepers are reading this.

<S>
Rokit
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2010, 09:34:17 AM »
Hey bustr..... on another note...... do you know anything about this???

:D

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2010, 09:36:36 AM »
Hey bustr..... on another note...... do you know anything about this???

(Image removed from quote.)

:D

Awww crap!  I paid good money to make sure those pictures never went public! :rofl
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2010, 09:41:10 AM »
Do the base takers have any interest in actually fighting for a base?  OR is this more to do with getting on a base taking roll on a map?  My impression is that folks want to be able to get in quick, kill the town, FH and VH so as to allow no defense and to have the base with little effort.

Correct me if I'm wrong but It seems to be a lot of wanting it back to when it was quick, easy, few people involved and very little combat.

From what I remember in real combat, albeit 42 years ago.  The premise was hit fast, hit hard, knock down defenses and take the objective with the fewest casualties as possible. 
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2010, 10:03:02 AM »
why not just make it easier..... sort of a lower common denominator type thing. Some of our schools are doing it.
Yes.  That is exactly why we have experienced such a profound deterioration in the quality of the education system in this country.  Might as well do it in AH too  :huh
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2010, 10:07:58 AM »
From what I remember in real combat, albeit 42 years ago.  The premise was hit fast, hit hard, knock down defenses and take the objective with the fewest casualties as possible. 
Exactly! Just last night we had a core group of 7-8 red players smashing the 3-4 us attempting to defend a port (with our CV nearby under heavy attack), a airfield and V-base.  We made it difficult for them.  They paid a good 3:1 death ratio but they eventually rolled us out of their kingdom.  It was a good time had by all.  No whining, lots of good old fashioned grudge killing :)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #202 on: October 14, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »
Awww crap!  I paid good money to make sure those pictures never went public! :rofl

Ding ding ding ding....... we have a winner. :P

:rofl

Yes.  That is exactly why we have experienced such a profound deterioration in the quality of the education system in this country.  Might as well do it in AH too  :huh

My point exactly. :)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:46:24 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2010, 10:58:41 AM »

I'd imagine real combat wasn't easy and real death was an issue too however. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2010, 10:59:32 AM »
Quote from: redcatcherb412 on Today at 10:41:10 AM

From what I remember in real combat, albeit 42 years ago.  The premise was hit fast, hit hard, knock down defenses and take the objective with the fewest casualties as possible.[\quote]

Ya and if this was a real war where people really died it would be a great idea to sneek in with an overwhelming force and capture the objective with the fewest casualties as possible.

This how ever is a game with the MAIN objective as combat/fighting. The idea is to generate fights. "Sneaking" a base was never meant to be the norm, fighting for one was. 

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »
You aren't seeing the big picture.  A large percentage of the player base is completely different than you.  They are not experten, and they enjoy capturing bases and trying to conquer the map.  Many are baby seals, but they help create very fun fights in the main arena.  They also help move fights around the map to different areas and between different bases, which will create different types of fights other then the same stagnant fights between the same two bases.  Capturing a base might be relatively easy for you, but that may not be the case with lots of other players.  

The large maps that can usually be found in orange contain hundreds of bases and many captures are required for these types of players to achieve ultimate victory.  In the current setup, it is too difficult to capture a base, takes too many 'resources', and makes it nearly impossible to actually win the war.  This certainly is frustrating a decent percentage of the player base and they aren't having much fun anymore.  If they don't have fun, they won't log on and in return, I don't have fun because I can't find anybody to shoot at.  I used to make fun of players who enjoyed this aspect of the game because I personally do not enjoy it or fully understand the lure of it, but I have come to realize that the more of them there are having fun, the better the fights are on the map.

BINGO!! :aok
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2010, 11:29:36 AM »
I saw the "big picture" years ago when AW flopped and all those guys invaded what was truly a connoisseurs dream for combat flight sims.  AcesHigh.  

I trudged on through those first years with the help of a great bunch of fellas, but that eventually dried up.  I was elated once they split the arenas though.  Hated the big cheezy drunk tardfest that AH had become.  Thats why I got the hell out of LW as soon as I could.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »
No offense kids but this is why you stay away from crack
Kinda Ironic, I thought you were on crack when you posted.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: October 14, 2010, 11:58:58 AM »
The new I see as a chalenge to try to fully take them out...I think it's more fun! :noid
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #209 on: October 14, 2010, 12:04:20 PM »
Yes.  That is exactly why we have experienced such a profound deterioration in the quality of the education system in this country.  Might as well do it in AH too  :huh

I am amazed at the parallels between real life sociology and cartoon airplane behavior!!!!!!!!!!!!  Somebody really ought to alert some of the more prominent universities in the world to this astounding fact so that a thorough study can be conducted and the conclusions can lead to a more perfect tomorrow.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:06:07 PM by SunBat »
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla