LOL! Fantastic Video!
Aces & 8s Since 2006

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
Re: RADAR?
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »
What option did they take away? 

ack-ack
The option for easy base grabs was taken away.

This game is great, and I have a lot of fun between my petulant temper tantrums.  But it has a learning curve.  Keeping an airplane below dot height over anything but water is a feat.  Multiply that by 10 planes in a mission and it is an improbability.  New guys aren’t going to be able to do it.

Personally, I think the changes to the new town will slow down any NOE raid, even if the dar was 200 feet dot level.

Raising the dot level and the dar bar level to 100 to 200 feet will make the NOE viable again.  The town layout will give defenders time to up into a nice fight on the deck.

The ability to sneak around and avoid combat with other people.

:noid

Did anyone consider they changed dar back as an attempt to fix the hinkey dar bars and make it so you can actually find the enemy to fight?

wrongway
It works both ways.  Radar also allows people to avoid fights.

Plus, hordes have gone to high altitudes to avoid fights.  Now, they can easily dive away on the deck to avoid fights.  What is the difference? 

The reality is that some folks like to take bases.  Not everyone can stay on all night, so they want some gratification in a reasonable time.

One more point: to take a base now, most of the time, it must be closed, all hangars down.  Would not this be ‘avoiding a fight?’
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 01:57:42 PM »
Why do we have to have radar that isn't even close to WW11 radars??
 This 50 ft frm ground level radar is Rediculous! They don't have radar that good today!!! Thought you were trying to be realistic in this game.
 This is like a setting you used to see in the 8man arena where noobies were playin with the settings.
 PLEASE put the radar dar bar level back to 500ft.

Wasp3 :salute

bolded....yea, they do.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
Why do we have to have radar that isn't even close to WW11 radars??
 This 50 ft frm ground level radar is Rediculous! They don't have radar that good today!!! Thought you were trying to be realistic in this game.
 This is like a setting you used to see in the 8man arena where noobies were playin with the settings.
 PLEASE put the radar dar bar level back to 500ft.

Wasp3 :salute

Wonder how those fire control radars worked if they magically couldn't work under 500 feet?
Not many ships over 500 foot tall ya know.  In addition, radar works on line of sight <at least it
did back in the day>.  If there is nothing to block the wave from going out, there isn't any reason
it couldn't work down to sea/ground level.

Since it isn't a perfect world, many things can cause returns...ground clutter, atmospheric
conditions, operator error and poor receivers.  I've even gotten returns on a fire control radar
from clouds! 

I just wonder how hard it is to actually engage bad guys if it generates whines like this.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
well, the guys that wanna sneak a base want the dar high....the guys that wanna fight the guys that wanna sneak the base want the dar low....the guys that wanna bomb the base want the small dar rings so they can sneak in, the guys that wanna shoot the guys that wanna bomb the bases want the big dar rings so they can find the bombers that are tryin to sneak into the deep bases.......

improvise........it's been discussed before how to know almost exactly where the buffs are, even if not in a dar ring.....

adapt............learn how to find them. if you're the one trying to sneak.....learn new ways to be sneaky

overcome......you'll do this by improvising, and adapting.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 02:42:42 PM »
A little calculation with a radar LOS tool shows that a 200 ft radar tower will pick up an airborne target flying at 50ft at a distance of 30 miles.  The problem I have is with the dar bar, not the base dot dar.  All it tells me is that there are a lot of cons over there - it gives me no indication of altitude, whether the cons are climbing, whether they are large or small cons, etc.  If we want the radar system to enhance the probability that there will be more action, having it provide a little more data might help.  For example, if I am running around in a 109K4 hunting bombers and saw two sectors with full dar bars, being able to click on one, get radar details, and see that 1 sector had 12+ large cons at 20K+ and the other had 20+ small cons at under 5K I would get a good idea which way to go.  

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 06:27:33 PM »
AND>>>>>   THROWING A DAR BAR IN FRIENDLY TERRITORY IS REDICULOUS.   That concept is just unrealistic.

Plain dumb.

Staying below radar is our own recourse to avoid the silly DarBar,  and  sneak around the horde to attempt trying to take back a base here or there.
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline WyoKId

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 07:16:28 PM »
PERK THE DAR !!!!
Outside of a dog , a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

"i like the enemy to know I killed em, building animosity amongst enemy makes for fun... otherwise why not go play golf or somethin"   bagrat

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »
AND>>>>>   THROWING A DAR BAR IN FRIENDLY TERRITORY IS REDICULOUS.  That concept is just unrealistic.

Plain dumb.

Staying below radar is our own recourse to avoid the silly DarBar,  and  sneak around the horde to attempt trying to take back a base here or there.

Basetaking is not impossible, just takes more planning than throwing up the usual saved mission in the planner of 20 110s, 10 niks, 10 thyphs and 50 goons, frag the town, drop troops rinse and repeat.

There seems to be a pattern here that if the slightest star is out of aliment, the universe comes crashing. Flogging the map uncontested creates nothing but negativity. 1) It takes away from the fight 2) is the main reason there becomes a huge imbalance in teams 3) is such a gamey tactic that even guys that are in those missions hate when the other countries do it.

I completely understand that lowering the dar takes away alot of style certain people like to play. I just cant see how this change is so overbearing that it will cause players to quit
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:16 AM »
AND>>>>>   THROWING A DAR BAR IN FRIENDLY TERRITORY IS REDICULOUS.   That concept is just unrealistic.

Not really - WW2 Radar stations would frequently pick up enemy aircraft climbing over enemy territory.  Think about it - the English Chain Home system has a range of nearly 200 miles and sits on the coast - it would easily pick up JU88s climbing over France before they even reached the channel.  That said, there should be a limit as to how far in the enemy backfield you can get dar bars - limiting enemy dar bars to within 3 sectors of an friendly base might be a solution.  Friendly dar bars should be seen anywhere as they "radio home" their position to HQ.

$.02

Offline wasp3

• Zinc Member
New Old Radar Settings
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 11:21:12 AM »
 Why are you messin with the radar so much?  Leave it at the original settings of 500 ft.  These settings are like the old 8 player game where noobs always messed with the radar.
 It sucks!!!! :furious   

Wasp3

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: New Old Radar Settings
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 11:51:47 AM »
So, how many of these "Radar sux" threads are you going to start?  Or don't you remember the one you started 2 days ago?

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,300686.0.html
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline lothmog

• Zinc Member
Re: New Old Radar Settings
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 12:12:14 PM »
I'm sure I'm just being ignorant, but aside from the radar rings being reduced back to 15 miles, what else has changed related to the radar settings since the June 22, 2010 update?
Lothmog
4th FG "The Eagles"

P-51B 42-106924 QP-L Salem Representative

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010, 12:49:39 PM »
That said, there should be a limit as to how far in the enemy backfield you can get dar bars - limiting enemy dar bars to within 3 sectors of an friendly base might be a solution.  Friendly dar bars should be seen anywhere as they "radio home" their position to HQ.

$.02

That's my MAIN point.  If you're going to make it realistic that the enemy has the right to be informed,  give the friendly guys a fighting chance at anonymity because of huge amount of invested time climbing to bombing altitude.
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-