Author Topic: OK BBS warriors. "Fix" the game....  (Read 10286 times)

Offline Airwolf

• Copper Member
Re: OK BBS warriors. "Fix" the game....
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2010, 01:59:13 PM »
Better padlock`s

Full screen view`s

Reduce ENY`s

Better graphics

Collision`s that effect both sides....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:01:47 PM by Airwolf »

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2010, 02:09:35 PM »
A "challenge button"

[snip]

Great idea... for the DA. Has no place in the MA.

First thing that would happen if you enacted such a system in the MA is that people would switch sides and "challenge" their buddies so they could be invulnerable to everyone else on their porking runs.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2010, 02:33:20 PM »
The NOE hoard missions worked very well on many levels for a large portion of the player population. Now that they are harder to perform we have found out how many players actually want to fight for anything as an enjoyable pastime versus the internet illusion of being a Fighter while being on the winning side.

Very few of us are real world fighters by choice and temperament. That's why high school football teams and wrestling teams are not turning away hoards of players every season and why martial arts schools for the most part are failures as a business model. Internet games are an illusion that still triggers all of the bodies fight or flight responses without the down sides of being horribly maimed or dieing for it.

The NOE'ers are your general 98% of the population. They are conflict adverse because humans are happier building communities but, still want to play at being a fighter. In real life loosing is no different than dieing at the deepest emotional level. Winning with a low level of risk is addictive in the face of accomplishing it under the fighters noses. Fighters win because winning and loosing is not the reason for being there. It is the only time in their lives they feel alive. They don't really want the war won. They want what the war gives them to keep going on and on and on.

The NOE mission was addictive because of the high probability of survival with the illusion of a great personal accomplishment as a fighter. You could hide in the company of numbers. Blow up things that mattered to the mission goal. And kill lots of red guys with very littel personal danger involved, then land a big kill string message. In a nutshell that was how boring old style NOE missions were. SAFE.................and thats why they had such a large following.

Human beings hate to loose. If they are not very skilled at your game, they know they are not. Because of this they hate loosing all the more. They hate the feeling of being helpless fodder. Very few will invest the time or effort to aleviate this condition. Instead they will go for all of the quick fixes they can find. NOE missions. HOing, picking, vulching, high hoards, low hoards and running at any sign of danger.

Put the NOE mission back in the game. The fighters need the ongong war.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:09:16 PM by Skuzzy »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2010, 03:00:25 PM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:09:57 PM by Skuzzy »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2010, 03:03:11 PM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:10:04 PM by Skuzzy »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:37:17 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline TEXICAN

• Copper Member
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2010, 03:35:25 PM »
IMHO making the strats actually affect gameplay, and be down longer unless resupplied would the best thing for this game.  Like the spit factories in AW.  And I'm a fan of no caps on the arena.
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »
See Rule #4

The purpose of the NOE's the developed in AH for a time were to avoid opposition and to just role the map as fast as possible.  Any resistance was met by moving to another undefended field, hence the phrase "whack a mole" :) That was the issue as seen by many of us.  Again, this isn't war and no one really dies, so avoiding combat seems a tad bit silly.

If it's all about strategy, nothing has changed that can't be overcome by more of that strategic thinking.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:37:39 PM by Skuzzy »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2010, 04:28:20 PM »
See Rule #4

At least you are willing to be entertaining in a conversation after you show your audience you are younger than dirt.

This being a game with unlimited lives but, designed to trigger fight or flight responses, those who in real life avoid conflict due to the risk of loosing will do the same here. The majority of human beings are geneticly conflict adverse. The NOE mission was a magnet to that kind of personality because it gave them the highest odds of a risk free reward. What ever the motivations of the missions leaders, the followers followed due to the risk versus reward equation. The missions leaders consistantly deliverd a high survival rate.

So much of the games population was taking part in the NOE and variations on the theme that HiTech could even see a change was needed because of conflict avoidence. But, given a bit of time we are seeing the same conflict avoidence and risk versus reward behavior evolving into the current high flying hoards picking uppers at fields and running away that takes place when they are met by an equal coalt force.

At least with the NOE missions no one was running away in full view. You just had to get a feel for the mission leader's game plan and show up at the next base with a few freinds.

The restrictions to the current NOE missions could be loosend a bit as a positive tweak. With the current town layout making it take longer to capture a base, NOE's seem a bit more strategic in pulling resources away from the multi hour stalemate slug fests we have while trying to capture feilds. They might be able to resum being a tool in the game rather than a lifestyle expression.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:38:04 PM by Skuzzy »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2010, 04:35:35 PM »
If I was a bbs warrior i would.

1. Increase down times of cities and factories.
2. Add a cement factory that increases down time of towns.
3. Add a % needed variable to control the number of town buildings down needed for capture.
4. Add a flag that went down, or changed color when the town was surrendering/ready for capture.

But I don't know why I post these ideas, HTC never will do anything about it.

HiTech

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2010, 04:35:57 PM »
Why is it the same people who take bases at 2AM with large numbers against a group of 2 or 3 defenders complain about the loss of NOE raids?  40v2 your still going to win, NOE or no NOE, so why whine?

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2010, 06:31:52 PM »
If I was a bbs warrior i would.

1. Increase down times of cities and factories.
2. Add a cement factory that increases down time of towns.
3. Add a % needed variable to control the number of town buildings down needed for capture.
4. Add a flag that went down, or changed color when the town was surrendering/ready for capture.

But I don't know why I post these ideas, HTC never will do anything about it.

HiTech

What about this?  Cement Factories would affect towns, rail yards would affect the down times (on top of the increase to their "natural" down times) of the Cities (assuming you revamp the old city strats and re-add them), Industrial Center (IC) at the Capital and supply lines, and Power Stations that would affect HQ down time.

An example, You knock out the rail yard for a zone (which would stay down the same amount of time as the other strats but is affected by damage to it's zone City/Capital's IC).  Instead of a convoy of trucks (to bases) and trains (to Cities, factories and the Capital) leaving every, say 30 mins, they will leave to supply every 1 hr.  Fuel Factory is at 5%, rail yard is at 8%; You would have trucks carrying fuel, but they would only make their supply run every 1 hour.  Meaning, the down times of the fuel at a field would be, say the standard is 1hr dt, tack on 30 mins for each, a total of 2 hrs.  So if just the rail or fuel were hit, the down time of the fuel at a base would only be 1 1/2 hrs.  This is a very crude idea, but I drool at the thought of hitting AH rail yards. *drools*

Now for the Power Stations and the HQ:  There are maybe 3 power stations that "supply" the HQ (with a down time the same as the other strats but can't have their dt's affected by damage of rail yards or the Capital's IC).  The HQ is no longer resupplyable, but just knocking it down without hitting the power stations, it would only stay down for 15 minutes.  Hitting each power station would increase it's down time by an 15 minutes.  Hitting all 3 and dropping the HQ would keep the HQ down for 1 hr.  To offset, the power stations would be tough targets (requiring 1-2k to drop the main buildings and the flak would be moderate-heavy), spread out through out the rear zone (while still close to the uncapable bases and HQ) and fairly decent in size (maybe a half to 2/3rds of what the Capital's IC is.  Wonder how we could factor a hydro dam into this... :headscratch:).

Great, now I want to load up the DOS version of B-17 and go hit some Power Stations...*drools*
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2010, 07:18:16 PM »
See Rule #2

I have been censored!!  I AM SOMEBODY NOW!!!!!  ACKACK would be proud!! lmao

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
I would run maps which fit the roster size--on the smaller maps, the furballers and whorders often run across each other, and it's nearly always a blast :aok Looked in Orange last night, 400 sectors, rooks owned tt, whole nit country was raiding an empty base in ne corner, most-all the bish were in 1 small area, just having sunk rook cv, and the rooks were whording a base in sw. NO interaction between the masses I go to Blue, and it's good ol small PAC map, and there's fights EVERYWHERE! Had a blast for hours
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/