Author Topic: Plane vs tank. No contest so don't do it.  (Read 6882 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Plane vs tank. No contest so don't do it.
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2010, 01:35:08 AM »
I could care less about tanks, but because of the two posts using the sorry "In WW2 they bombed tanks" line, something should be done.  Just the stupidity of that argument demands a change. : :rolleyes:

They died for real in WW2 as well. How bout one and done with your subscription based on WW2? :huh
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2010, 02:56:03 AM »
I find pleasure in taking out a panzer between a group of 3 wirbles. Hmm, maybe I'm just a masochist?
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2010, 09:43:58 AM »
So allied aircraft during WWII that were bombing/strafing axis tanks is unfair and wussie-scoring?

PUH-leeze  :rolleyes:

I don't remember hearing about any big red tag under a tank that could be seen from 1.5K away in real life.    :airplane:

I don't care about GV eggers.  I do care about the incredibly easy time it is to find a gv in this game.  In real life, tanks traveled under concealment, and were attacked only when they broke cover.  This is how the Germans concentrated 1,800 tanks prior to the Battle of the Bulge, when they had zero air superiority.

It is simply unrealistically easy to see a tank from the air in this game.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »
I could care less about tanks, but because of the two posts using the sorry "In WW2 they bombed tanks" line, something should be done.  Just the stupidity of that argument demands a change. : :rolleyes:

They died for real in WW2 as well. How bout one and done with your subscription based on WW2? :huh

Wow. There is difference between game and reality. In reality, they bombed gvs. In reality they died. But in game, you have multiple lives. So why cant I bomb your gvs? I say get over it, learn to fight back, or find a solution. I personally would like to see GV icons removed or reduced to very short range. Yea, I get pissed off too when my gv gets egged. But I get over it.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2010, 10:08:04 AM »
If I find a GV only fight, I generally try to leave it alone, but...  Just because you and a few others are just there for the fight, I find it hard to believe you are speaking for all the tanks involved at that point.  Who's to say that in 10 minutes you'll overrun the spawn and start camping it (if I had any hesitation about bombing GVs, it's gone when you start camping a spawn)?  Who's to say someone won't drop friendly hangers and everyone rushes the field for a take?

IMO, the MA's environment helps create these GV battles that you love.  Even if there was a completely separate part of the map where no planes could get to and no bases could be captured, I betcha it would rarely be populated.  Once someone comes on country shouting something about NOE here, raid inbound, GV raid, mission up, these guys are going to head for something else.  How do these big GV fights get started now, attacking and defending bases.  There is no incentive to keep the average player (who IMO dabbles in all aspects of the game and had a general caring about his country succeeding) from staying at a place like that.

Btw, I'm a terrible GVer, but I do love taking a Wirble up and reaping havoc or taking a fighter up and laying waste to bombers or low and slow Jugs.

LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2010, 10:15:23 AM »
Even if there was a completely separate part of the map where no planes could get to and no bases could be captured, I betcha it would rarely be populated.

Yes and no.

Today it is that way. When I started Ah 5 years ago that was different. Tank Town in the center Trinity, a place shielded from planes by 20k mountains, was the busiest place on that map. I learned tanking there (I still have more kills in Tiger than in any plane in AH). At any time you could bet that about 30% of all players where there (just like in any other Tank Town), sometimes more than 200 people spawning, camping, relocating, firing & dying.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:18:05 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2010, 10:22:27 AM »
Yes and no.

Today it is that way. When I started Ah 5 years ago that was different. Tank Town in the center Trinity, a place shielded from planes by 20k mountains, was the busiest place on that map. I learned tanking there (I still have more kills in Tiger than in any plane in AH). At any time you could bet that about 30% of all players where there (just like in any other Tank Town), sometimes more than 200 people spawning, camping, relocating, firing & dying.

Why do you think that is? 

Folks, play nice.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2010, 10:32:19 AM »
Why do you think that is?  

Not because the players suddenly changed ;)

The concept of Tank Town was killed by two gameplay design descisions. First, as we had only small maps after the big arena split in late 2006, Trinity went away and only came back about two years later.
Shortly after that, the last surviving Tank Town area on (Ndisles) suffered from redesign and the big terrain update - Suddenly the spawns were much farther away, and the terrain was full of hedges. This effectively killed TT on Ndisles off, with only some slow scale action surviving.

And two years in AH is a lot of time. Few players stay here for that long, and when Trinity came back up, almost none remembered the very concept of Tank Town. I remember well: The moment Trinity loaded again for the first time, I immediately jumped to tank town. We were only about 5 players, all old-timers (Shawk was one of them).  :cry

The tradition had been broken.

And now I read players asking for a seperate "furballing" GV area, while the dedicated place we do have for it is being completely unused.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »
As a gv, you're not provided an icon for enemy tanks, only for friendlies. Why can't airplanes have that same limitation?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2010, 10:54:50 AM »
As a gv, you're not provided an icon for enemy tanks, only for friendlies. Why can't airplanes have that same limitation?

+1 to this  :aok

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2010, 11:03:52 AM »

Because the visual limitations of the game make seeing from the ground and seeing from the air very different. When was the last time you were in an airplane, even at thousands of feet in the air, you can see traffic moving and even follow a specific vehicle.  That just isn't possible in the game, so there has to be a handicap.  It wasn't too long ago that HTC shortened those distances to 1.5 to make it more difficult for aircraft to find GVs.

I would support a camouflage change, where GVs could actually hide from aircraft.  The more concealed you are, the shorter your icon is visible to fighters, not sure how feasible that is though.

Folks, play nice.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2010, 11:07:28 AM »
 That just isn't possible in the game, so there has to be a handicap.

There is one. You can hear them. Plane engines (and their sounds) start stop in a second. Hear low flying Il-2's shutting off their engine "listening" for enemy tanks in AH. (I always think of the gunner in an Il-2 sitting there with his headset on like a sonar operator in a submarine... "Tiger at 2 o'clock... long distance, getting closer!" :lol

So without enemy icons, moving tanks would be are still easy to locate... only non moving ones would be much harder to find, unless they start to fire.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:12:25 AM by Lusche »

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »
See these two posts above, they get it. stop the whine and figure out a way to fight back.

I believe they are refering to strafing runs. Fair game because the tank can take them out with pintl or main gun. I was refering to vertical bombing where the tank has no chance, let a lone a sporting chance.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2010, 12:01:47 PM »

+1 for advanced critical thinking.  :aok
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2010, 12:05:20 PM »

This came up in the other tank town thread. This would go a long way to help.  :aok
Who is John Galt?