Author Topic: Maps are STALE  (Read 2400 times)

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
Re: Maps are STALE
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »
Yeah new maps would be nice, and a occasional leg or torso flying out of a tater hole would be nice too! Don't hold your breath.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »
FREE T3H D0NUT!!!!!!1

Also, what was that map that was like a 3 pointed star, with long strings of V-bases that were a ways away from the nearest airbases?  Anyone remember that?  I loved that map, not sure why it's out of the rotation.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:42:36 AM by Tec »
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 12:01:23 PM »
Cuz not many players are win z war ....most just want shoot-em up action. Fly 30k above field and pick.

pwnt by...

this:

About the same number of people are "win z war" or landgrabbers than before. The rate of captures didn't change because players changed suddenly from one tour to the next.
However, what may happen is that any particular type of players is just leaving after their kind of gameplay has being made significantly more diffiult. But I can't judge if this is already the case.

Wait... I just noticed long time no chart...  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

(First value (tour 80) was last tour before arena split. Arena scores were split in tour 93, new towns appeared in tour 126, recent LW arena format change was in tour 130.
"Active Player"= every game id with at least one kill or one death)
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 12:35:12 PM »
Also, what was that map that was like a 3 pointed star, with long strings of V-bases that were a ways away from the nearest airbases?  Anyone remember that?  I loved that map, not sure why it's out of the rotation.

You aren't referring to the center island on Ozkansas, are you?  That map is up during prime time, but the center island (tank town) is permanently Rook, so nobody can use it. 

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »
No, not ozkansas.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 12:42:40 PM »
FREE T3H D0NUT!!!!!!1

Also, what was that map that was like a 3 pointed star, with long strings of V-bases that were a ways away from the nearest airbases?  Anyone remember that?

I do remember that map, just not the name at the moment. It was great for tank battles - The best feature (among with the long distance to airfields) where that the Vbases were always grouped in pairs, just like we have it with V135-V136 on Ozkansas. That makes for much quicker and more balanced battles, because no one has the the initial "home turf" advantage over the other.

It was taken down along with all large maps at the big arena split.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 12:50:12 PM »
I do remember that map, just not the name at the moment. It was great for tank battles - The best feature (among with the long distance to airfields) where that the Vbases were always grouped in pairs, just like we have it with V135-V136 on Ozkansas. That makes for much quicker and more balanced battles, because no one has the the initial "home turf" advantage over the other.

love to have it back. and id love the donut map back too
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 12:55:49 PM »

Was it the same map that had a 10k airfield just west of center?  That always made for some epic battles.

I understand the loss of Pizza with tiles issue, but for these others it doesn't make sense.  People put a lot of effort into making them.  Players enjoy a change of scenery and the unique features of each, so why not put them in the rotation?
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 04:22:04 PM »
Was it the same map that had a 10k airfield just west of center?  That always made for some epic battles.

I understand the loss of Pizza with tiles issue, but for these others it doesn't make sense.  People put a lot of effort into making them.  Players enjoy a change of scenery and the unique features of each, so why not put them in the rotation?

Yes, I think it was Festers map. It might just need a re-work like a few other that were brought up to snuff.

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »

AKDesert.... best map ever,would love to see it brought back :cheers:

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 04:29:16 PM »
I like the look and layout of towns the way they are now but captures require nearly 5x the man hours according to the data presented here. The thing that makes captures so difficult now is the trouble with spotting those one or two last buildings. You all know the ones that are trouble, those little yellow brown colored ones that you have to fly at 50 ft to tell if they are up or down.

I think the best answer to the problem of what is up & down I think was by the Snailman himself (correct me if I am wrong) Have the red flag lower as buildings go down. No buildings left=no flag. :aok

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 04:38:25 PM »
  AKDesert.... best map ever,would love to see it brought back :cheers:

ya, but the source file for that one are gone so it would have to be a total rebuild.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »
The furballers got their way, the base takers are dead...................

How long will the game last?   :uhoh
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 05:09:53 PM »
The furballers got their way, the base takers are dead...................

How long will the game last?   :uhoh

Funny, but bases are still being taken.

Maybe the solo base takers are dead.  Whodathunkit, a multi-player game that takes multi-players to accomplish something.

Also, RE: How long will the game last...  I have intelligence sources that show the Rooks have WMDs.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »
ya, but the source file for that one are gone so it would have to be a total rebuild.

LoL.  I was digging thru my CD's the other day looking for some source code and found an old backup of the original project and data.  I thought briefly about converting it to the new map format if possible, just for laughs.  If we still had open H2H, I would have, just to irk some people. ;)

But, instead, I just tossed it.   :rofl

Wab
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:28:25 PM by AKWabbit »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.