Author Topic: Aircraft Performance vs Type of Joystick You Use  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Aircraft Performance vs Type of Joystick You Use
« on: January 13, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »
I have been reading a lot lately about perked planes, this plane vs that plane etc etc and what you guys are typing is a treasure trove of performance issues, good and bad, for these planes.  What I'm beginning to discover is that some players report specific tendencies by specific aircraft when others do not report that performance issue at all.  Is there a chance that each aircraft may perform differently due to the type of joystick you use?  The more sensitive the contacts in the joystick, the more it might respond crappy in specific aircraft at low speeds or whatever...it makes sense.

Thoughts? :salute

Changeup

Pyro, HiTech, or Skuzzy, feel free to comment...lol

"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: Aircraft Performance vs Type of Joystick You Use
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:43:25 PM »
Actually it's a good question, sense different controllers have different sensitivities due to the different parts that manufactures use, kinda waiting for some responces   :)   is there some kind of industry standard that the Min/Max deadbands are set at ?
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »
I can say that after having modified my x52 Pro as a center stick for my Simpit that moding a stick can make a big difference. I have found that I now have significantly better control with 190's and other planes that I thought were "twitchy". On the other hand the easy planes like the Spits, I find I'm having some difficulty getting used to how fast and far I have to move the stick in tight turn fights.

So if the scaling is constant, then I can see how there could be a difference between HOTAS, CH, Saitek, and Logitech sticks given the dimensions are different.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »
I have wondered about something similar to this as in,, settings and why some planes preform better with different stick settings than others but it could also have plenty to do with the stick itself!
I have flown enough to know that with my scale settings one way ,I fly certain planes well and others, that I used to fly well do not handle nearly as good  with the new settings, I thought about making profiles for each plane, say a screen shot of each setup and the planes it serves best, then print them off and have them as handy reference material for such things as FSO or racing,  I use the saitek x52 pro and pedals, if anyone thinks this is something that would be of interest we could start a thread and post your scale settings for each plane so as to compare notes and share info!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »
buy a cheap stick and you wont have to wonder about it :)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:50:37 PM »
I think it was Fester that had flown for ever with a Microsoft stick. It finally crapped out and he reluctantly switched to CH Products. Now Fester is a pretty darn good stick and he was hoping the CH stuff wouldn't hurt him much until he got use to the new stuff. Well he was blown away with how smooth the CH stuff was. He just kept going on and on oand on about how it was smooth and it was unbelievable and so on...really got pretty annoying for a while  :D

Well that how I remember it. I always had CH stuff for Aces High so I have no personal comparisons to share.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 11:35:32 PM »
I still use Microsoft.

~AoM~

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »
Ive been using the Logitech Xtreme 3D Pro knowing it was crap.  I travel for biz and carry it through security (yes, Im addicted) and I have fought knowing I would eventually end up in a CH or Thrustmaster.  I can't pack them though and dont want to learn two stick systems and the Logitech is cheap so I own about 9 of them! I have bugged SKuzzy to death for two years about scaling and it does work...but its funny that my issues with certain planes aren't someone elses.  Bentnail gave me some scaling settings about 2 years ago and it was awesome for about 8 months.  Pre-the-last-major-graphics update it just stopped being smooth even with those scaling settings so I just started wondering.  Also, Krup, Dodger, Madda and others have hand-walked me through certain manuevers in the DA and I can't get the aircraft to do most of them.

Changeup

"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 12:38:43 AM »
I can say that after having modified my x52 Pro as a center stick for my Simpit that moding a stick can make a big difference. I have found that I now have significantly better control with 190's and other planes that I thought were "twitchy". On the other hand the easy planes like the Spits, I find I'm having some difficulty getting used to how fast and far I have to move the stick in tight turn fights.

So if the scaling is constant, then I can see how there could be a difference between HOTAS, CH, Saitek, and Logitech sticks given the dimensions are different.

difference that you noticed between the 190 and the spit, is that in the 190 you make long slow turns to keep your speed up, since you most likely dont want to get into a turn fight.  where the spit is a turn fighter requiring more joystick input.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 12:53:45 AM »
I still use Microsoft.

Yea, and you kicked my butt with it the other night.    :furious
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 04:05:28 AM »
I think the equipment you use does have an effect...but it also comes down to time I believe also

When I started I was using a 3D pro which I thought was ok...Then I moved on to a X52 and rudder pedals...and this took me time to adjust to....over the last couple of tours I have had to revert to using my 3Dpro again as my X52 stick decided that it had enough of working....This has proven to be horrible and found that I just couldn't hang in a fight anymore...stalling out due to my movements being too big...the saitek seems to have more of a slack where as the 3D pro is movement from any touch which makes it very bouncy...if I spent the time I'm sure my reactive motor skills would change to adjust to this but my hand is just too heavy for it...I have just yesterday bought a Cyborg X..got sick of being a flopping, stalling mass of virtual steel. ...now I have only used this for a couple of flights but managed to get out numbered and it felt very close to what I had come accustomed to using the X52..( I still use the X52 throttle and CH pedals)hopefully I can get back to being competitive again the red guys again instead of fighting to keep my plane from stalling out..

Just as a side note to this I found that the 3Dpro seemed to be a power hog...It may just be my imagination but with the new stick my frame rates are back to what they were and with the 3D pro I had to drop my settings to play as the stuttering was disturbing and also took from the ability to perform ingame.......
Changeup...if you can try get one of these...it would be great for traveling as the top of the stick can be removed...awesome little unit actually. still has the 12 buttons, plus a duel throttle and a wheel for trim/flaps if you are so inclined
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:12:21 AM by SPKmes »

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 07:26:53 AM »
I've never seen a MS sidewinder stick that was a power hawg. However, rather than run the ancient 3dpro  I'd suggest you get a modern USB sidewinder like the MS Prec 2 USB.

As to the Sidewinder being bouncy, a bit of deadband, and a bit of scaling can quickly tame that bouncy beast.

Instead of using the scaling at the default stairstep, try a low curve.

Something along this line.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 08:13:22 AM »
I've always kept it pretty basic. I use a Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X twisty. I've tried the X-52 and ended up giving it to a relative. I've tried a couple of other Saitek items, but the adjustments still do not conform to my hand. I'm the poorest example of a fighter pilot there is, although there are a couple of planes I enjoy regardless.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »
Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2  :devil

Offline Amaazee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 08:55:09 AM »
I have CH Product, Pedals, Throttle, and Stick...I still suck... :cry