Author Topic: Jeeps with AC fuel  (Read 4090 times)

Offline dirt911

• Nickel Member
Re: Jeeps with AC fuel
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »
I'm willing to bet the guys voting -1 are just afraid someone will land off in the wilderness and they won't get their little kill. "but but but...he went down!" - yeah, he ran out of fuel, but he managed to find a clearing, line up and come in, get someone to work with him and fuel him up while he sits there, makes for TWO targets that can't really fight back (come on - jeep? Really?). The Jeeps are almost useless right now....give them a better role.

Is a change, gives me more targets, gives me a chance to fix an error of judgment on fuel, gives me a reason to drive the jeep

:cheers:

Wow no point in me saying it now.  :neener: :P :banana: :aok :D

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »
So when you're 15 miles from the base you turn back when your effective range is 15 miles? That's poor planning and certainly does no warrent a crutch implemented. Try conservative flight planning for a change. Maybe you'll make it back despite multiple unplanned deviations.

People keep asking for increased margins to land their score. "Make it the whole field." "Make it the dar ring." "Make it so you can have extra gas given to you." What is so wrong with the boundaries we have now? They are challenging and that makes it fun. If this is implemented, where do the crutches end? "I want a mechanic in the jeep to repair my bent prop. Also have them bring me ammo. Also have them bring a giant industrial fan which will give me a headwind/reduced takeoff roll (because who knows what this terrain you landed on is like)." Yeah I'm being sarcastic, but I'm just illustrating a point. In real life could a jeep bring the aircraft some fuel? Sure, why not. Does it belong in this game? I doubt it. If it were voted to be implemented should it take priority over ANY other addon the game is in need of (more equipment perhaps??)? No, it should not... I'm sorry but this wish is frivolous.

You are completely missing the point.  Yes it was bad planning to run out of fuel, yes you deserve to rot out in the desert.  The point is though, that adding this to the game would create a new element of fun, that is, driving out fuel to your buddies in the wilderness.  How far would a squaddy drive fuel to their ally that is the question.   :lol

I personally think it is great, I can imagine all sorts of entertaining scenarios that could happen as a result.  "grizz um... I'm parked 15 miles off base, please drive me some fuel i have 12 kills"  :rofl

It would be lots of fun, that is what it is all about, and is definitely realistic.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »
You didn't land safely, you don't deserve "12 kills landed by so-and-so" in the buffer.

Like I said, if you COULD do this, if it were added, but removed your name from the buffer (regardless) would you still do it? More likely than not, no. Your squaddie wouldn't be calling for help if it didn't get his name in lights. He'd just tower and reup like a normal ditch.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2011, 04:53:29 PM »
This.... is a very good point. But again, why did you run out of the fuel in the first place? I can see two reasons.

• Poor fuel management and/or planning.
  • Unanticipated fuel leak.

In the case of the former, I see no reason to go through a lot of trouble to implement something which was a direct result of poor airmanship. In the case of the latter, those ten gallons will leak out before you're airborne which makes it pointless. I can see only one case where this would be useful... Perked sortie just shy of the runway due to a fuel leak. Ten gallons gives you enough to taxi to the tarmac.  But guys, seriously, this is a rare rare case...
Load it into the tank that's not shot to hell. ;)

You didn't land safely, you don't deserve "12 kills landed by so-and-so" in the buffer.

Like I said, if you COULD do this, if it were added, but removed your name from the buffer (regardless) would you still do it? More likely than not, no. Your squaddie wouldn't be calling for help if it didn't get his name in lights. He'd just tower and reup like a normal ditch.

I would do it. I don't get my name in lights for kills very often anyways, but I would like the extra perknesshessies for landing :P :P
I drove a D9 with a rad hit through TT on indisls (sp*) to the v base  :rock

and this....this just made me lol

Again, the jeep go boom quicky quicky - plane on ground not shoot back - this make easy target for boom boom  :x :x :x
win/win everybody :D

Me likey bouncy! me likey bouncy!
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2011, 05:46:07 PM »

It's not about name in the lights, it's about successfully completing the sortie...and the comradery...and the adventure of it all...

Heck if someone wished for "I want jeeps to bring supplies to tracked tanks and heal them" half the people in the wishlist would -1 that wish to its grave.  But wait... we have that feature..

This would be a fun feature to add to the game with zero downside.  If there is a downside please explain what it is.  It makes it easier to score which nobody cares about to begin with?   :rofl  People that have no friends will be at an unfair disadvantage?    :D  :noid
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:49:16 PM by grizz441 »

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2011, 05:50:38 PM »

Oh but since i belly landed and tore both my wings off on the concrete I do ?   :rofl

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2011, 07:51:33 PM »
Speaking of which.. actually getting your bird down on uneasy terrain without busting your prop is a challenge in itself, then having to have a buddy drive you out fuel.  Then taking off again.  It would be challenging in itself, plus a lot of fun being able to help your buddies out, especially in hostile territory.

BIG +1  ...And Im really glad grizz is here so Im not the only one who has a clue! ...Because it's a challenge! Because its FUN!

It really wouldn't take that much time at all to code I don't believe. If a jeep is within 5 yds of landed airplane the jeep clicks refuel aircraft.  If pilot accepts refuel it takes 30 seconds, just like on the rearm pad.  All the tools to do this are already in the game in one shape or the other. 

Think you over thought this one though.  All he has to do is make vehicle sups accepted in an a/c on the ground. Instant fuel. But I like the fuel tanker idea and we had one, I just cant find where they parked the dam thing anymore. It just needs an engine now.

I hear ya Macleod, I do. However most of these folks are requesting it because they took spit16s up with 25% and a DT, or 109K4s with 25%/DT, trying to get any unrealistic edge they can. Or they loiter around far too long looking for picks just to get 2 kills to land in the text buffer.

I know there are pilots like you, and sorry if I hurt the ol'e feelin's there, but in general for the benefit of all those other players, I would say I don't like the idea. I've even had it happen to me many a time. It sucks. I'll curse about it. However I'd rather not have the instant "do-over" features that most folks request on this forum.

"sorry if I hurt the ol'e feelin's" but all of you who are assuming that everyone who kicks your bellybutton has been flying with 25% are just overestimating your abilities and compensate by assuming such things. I dont think it happens quite as often as its touted. I certainly dont fly with low loadouts or fail to pay attention to my fuel status and I have frequently ended up short of base.

It happened frequently in RL as well. Pilots and crews went to great lengths to retrieve an aircraft if possible. Even going so far as to take them apart. So this is NOT gamey or an instant "do-over" by any stretch of an intelligent mind.

And the further away we have to drive (if implemented) to rescue the plane the more interesting it gets!

I also didnt notice where the OP said anything about getting his name in lights. Though we should at least get full points for doing it! This is actually a perfect compromise to the "landing on runway" argument.

Oh but since i belly landed and tore both my wings off on the concrete I do ?   :rofl

Now that you mention it, after we get to refuel off base, Im asking for a flatbed truck with a crane to pick me up if I belly it off base  :) Drone operated that is.

First of all, like grizz said, landing off base is MORE challenging than on base much of the time. So if you can put a plane down in flyable condition, then it WAS a safe landing reguardless of retarded logic to the contrary.

Secondly, like you say, more often than not people wont do it, lights or no lights. Because its time consuming. PLUS I have yet to see anyone point out that it's more likely that this would be a 2 man rescue than a one. The guy in the jeep will likely have a hard time finding his buddy without someone directing from the air in some cases.

So why dont you tell us how this is going to hurt you? Are you afraid you wont get your kills? Or does it hurt your feelings when others do land kills?

Grizz and MarineUS have made everypoint that really needs to be made here.

-How is this different from a tank instantly fixed with sups?
-How is smashing your plane to bits on a runway and still getting kills considered "a safe landing" or "skilled flying" but landing in a dangerous and vulnerable spot and still making it home is not?
-What's it to you if someone else wants to spend the time?
-It's more targets to shoot at. Easy ones at that.
-It is in NO WAY an easy or gamey feature. It takes time (probably a minimum of 10 minute wait) and luck (to survive that long)
-Its easy to implement. vehicle sups dropped near a/c. --> Load Supplies.  Done!
-This is actually a perfect compromise to the "landing on runway" argument.

Pilots from all over the world have been given their countries' highest military awards for their actions after ditching. Many of the greatest fighter pilot stories are about those events. Including things like landing a fighter in enemy territory and squeezing a downed pilot into a cockpit made for one. Or taking an entire ground crew out to a beached b26, removing all excess weight and then flying it off of an area no one thought was long enough.

Most of us play this game to capture the essence of being a pilot. You cant do that by denying real life possibilities. And for hitech, I dont think there is a single flight sim out there that has this feature. Use it to distinguish us from the rest.

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2011, 09:27:45 PM »
It's not about name in the lights, it's about successfully completing the sortie...and the comradery...and the adventure of it all...

This is the only reason I play, nothing better than helping a squaddie get home kills or no kills.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2011, 10:34:33 PM »
It happened frequently in RL as well. Pilots and crews went to great lengths to retrieve an aircraft if possible. Even going so far as to take them apart. So this is NOT gamey or an instant "do-over" by any stretch of an intelligent mind.

Wrong... Having it happen in less than a second? Totally gamey.

In real life, that day was done, the mission over, the job complete. Pilot was on the ground safe and was given a lift back to his airfield. Ground crew might have taken days to get the plane back safely, if not longer.

It wasn't a simple "Sit there, hold on, okay, take off now" mockery that's been requested here.

P.S. I have to laugh at your comments along the lines of "Grizz gets it! It's the CHALLENGE!" --- when it's been clearly established the challenge is to make it back to the runway. Which you FAILED the second you needed resupplying in the field. Challenge failed, try again (i.e. start the next challenge)

You lose at pacman you don't sit there hogging the machine after you're done for.... You put in another quarter or the folks in line behind you kick you off the machine to use it next.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »
Wrong... Having it happen in less than a second? Totally gamey.

In real life, that day was done, the mission over, the job complete. Pilot was on the ground safe and was given a lift back to his airfield. Ground crew might have taken days to get the plane back safely, if not longer.

It wasn't a simple "Sit there, hold on, okay, take off now" mockery that's been requested here.

P.S. I have to laugh at your comments along the lines of "Grizz gets it! It's the CHALLENGE!" --- when it's been clearly established the challenge is to make it back to the runway. Which you FAILED the second you needed resupplying in the field. Challenge failed, try again (i.e. start the next challenge)

You lose at pacman you don't sit there hogging the machine after you're done for.... You put in another quarter or the folks in line behind you kick you off the machine to use it next.

How is it gamey?  How long do you think it should take to put 20 gallons into an aircraft.  Shorter or longer than it takes for a jeep to repair a tank tread or a damaged turret or shot out engine, because that takes less than 5 seconds in aces high.  How long should it take to rearm 100% fuel and full ord, because that takes 30 seconds in aces high.  I could name a dozen things that are actually gamey.  Nothing is gamey about driving a jeep out to the location of a bingo aircraft and filling it up with fuel.

When did this stop being fun for you krusty?  Do you only post here out of habit?

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2011, 10:46:24 PM »
Just for the record there are some people I'd drive out to and some I wouldn't.  Guess it'd be a good way to find out who likes you.

I'm with Grizz on this one.  If the only 'downside' is they get 'their name in lights' turn it off but give them credit for the 'kills' for those who give a rats behind about that kind of stuff.  Take it further and score it as a ditch.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2011, 10:47:43 PM »
We should just be able to fly through power-ups.

Same thing.

It wasn't done IRL unless out of desperation, not to get your name in lights.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2011, 11:26:37 PM »
If u can do it for GV's u should be able to do it for AC's. The gaminess argument holds no water when one can drive up to a tank on it's back, have a invisible man open a door, drop off a magical box and the tank is instantly upright.  End of discussion. Wrongway and Krusty can now return to the photos of the HTC attendants at the latest con for the completion of their nightly arousal.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2011, 01:27:34 AM »
Considering the GV modeling in this game is a far far distant shadow of the fidelity of the air game, you cannot make that comparison.

What you propose is to arcade-ize the flight portion of the game.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2011, 03:16:07 AM »
This refuel thing is a very good idea. The mechanism is actually coded in thegame, f. e. the veichle supplies.  +1
AoM
City of ice