Author Topic: Jeeps with AC fuel  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Re: Jeeps with AC fuel
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 10:47:54 AM »
"...jeeps with two 5 gallon Aircraft fuel cans...

For a typical WWII aircraft piston engine, that would last about this long:    *cough*    ;)

Nope.  The line has to drawn somewhere.  And that somewhere has been defined as the edge of the pavement.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 10:48:43 AM »
SNIP

Krusty, You are a squaddie, and have no doubt heard of my normal rides even if I haven't flown with you that often. I don't care about score. I just like landing if I'm RTBing. There is nothing more annoying than taking 100% in a Spit 1 or something, flying just beyond where you should, then gliding home to touch down just off tarmac! I wouldn't mind if it calculated my score there and then and did all the rest of whta you said, I just want to land :( I like being wheels down on tarmac!

:salute
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 10:53:45 AM »
I think it would be much faster if your jeep just picked up the pilot and ran him/her back to base.

or if the jeep brought the pilot (1) 5" rocket with a saddle.. :rolleyes:
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 10:56:08 AM »
I hear ya Macleod, I do. However most of these folks are requesting it because they took spit16s up with 25% and a DT, or 109K4s with 25%/DT, trying to get any unrealistic edge they can. Or they loiter around far too long looking for picks just to get 2 kills to land in the text buffer.

I know there are pilots like you, and sorry if I hurt the ol'e feelin's there, but in general for the benefit of all those other players, I would say I don't like the idea. I've even had it happen to me many a time. It sucks. I'll curse about it. However I'd rather not have the instant "do-over" features that most folks request on this forum.

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 10:58:18 AM »
can i have a do-over?
-AoM-

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 11:17:41 AM »
Part of the challenge is to take enough fuel. If you're running out of fuel, load more before you roll. If you're still running out load a DT. If you're STILL running out -- well either you're flying for 2 hours or you're just not doing it right for most planes.

Part of the challenge of getting your name in lights IS to get back safely. Not to get back 10 feet from the field. Not to ditch in all but name, and have somebody cart some gas to you....

Let me ask you this: Would you still want this if as SOON as you loaded the gas it counted you as ditched, gave your kill to the last guy to shoot you, and computed the score then and there?

No, you would not. The ONLY reason you want this is because you're aiming for score.

P.S. I'm of the opinion most folks that screw around with light fuel -- i.e. 25% -- are taking their own individual gambles. If they gamble they can find a fight and get back before running out, it's THEIR FAULT if they lose that gamble. They shouldn't be rewarded for losing the gamble and running out of gas somewhere away from the field.

Blah Blah Blah.

My only reason for liking it is that it would be fun.  Fun Krusty, that is all.  This is a game last time I checked.

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »
Either way I see no reason why a jeep shouldn't be able to refuel an airplane and it would add nothing but fun to the game which is a big +1 for me.  On top of that, it would not be very difficult to code.  Probably some writing involved, but pretty basic concepts to add this into the game.

+1111

I think Grizz is just trolling for the idea of having more Jeeps as targets for his 262.... :salute

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 12:51:36 PM »
I think Grizz is just trolling for the idea of having more Jeeps as targets for his 262.... :salute

No way, I'd be the one in the jeep riding out fuel to my squaddies that are ditched out miles from base.  Actually I don't think my squaddies even know how to land on pavement, let alone terrain, so nvm. 

Speaking of which.. actually getting your bird down on uneasy terrain without busting your prop is a challenge in itself, then having to have a buddy drive you out fuel.  Then taking off again.  It would be challenging in itself, plus a lot of fun being able to help your buddies out, especially in hostile territory.

Offline Mirage

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
I drove a D9 with a rad hit through TT on indisls (sp*) to the v base  :rock
Kommando Nowotny

I/Jg-301Gelb Zehn |

Offline DeadStik

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2011, 02:54:53 PM »
what if you planned to RTB and got jumped by the 10 20k cons that seem to be circling every fight?  what if by the time you were finally able to egress, your fuel was just shy of what u needed to land?  happens more than you think.   good idea +1

So when you're 15 miles from the base you turn back when your effective range is 15 miles? That's poor planning and certainly does no warrent a crutch implemented. Try conservative flight planning for a change. Maybe you'll make it back despite multiple unplanned deviations.

People keep asking for increased margins to land their score. "Make it the whole field." "Make it the dar ring." "Make it so you can have extra gas given to you." What is so wrong with the boundaries we have now? They are challenging and that makes it fun. If this is implemented, where do the crutches end? "I want a mechanic in the jeep to repair my bent prop. Also have them bring me ammo. Also have them bring a giant industrial fan which will give me a headwind/reduced takeoff roll (because who knows what this terrain you landed on is like)." Yeah I'm being sarcastic, but I'm just illustrating a point. In real life could a jeep bring the aircraft some fuel? Sure, why not. Does it belong in this game? I doubt it. If it were voted to be implemented should it take priority over ANY other addon the game is in need of (more equipment perhaps??)? No, it should not... I'm sorry but this wish is frivolous.
Dedstick

Offline DeadStik

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 02:59:21 PM »
what if you planned to RTB and got jumped by the 10 20k cons that seem to be circling every fight?  what if by the time you were finally able to egress, your fuel was just shy of what u needed to land?  happens more than you think.   good idea +1

So when you're 15 miles from the base you turn back when your effective range is 15 miles? That's poor planning and certainly does no warrent a crutch implemented. Try conservative flight planning for a change. Maybe you'll make it back despite multiple unplanned deviations.

People keep asking for increased margins to land their score. "Make it the whole field." "Make it the dar ring." "Make it so you can have extra gas given to you." What is so wrong with the boundaries we have now? They are challenging and that makes it fun. If this is implemented, where do the crutches end? "I want a mechanic in the jeep to repair my bent prop. Also have them bring me ammo. Also have them bring a giant industrial fan which will give me a headwind/reduced takeoff roll (because who knows what this terrain you landed on is like)." Yeah I'm being sarcastic, but I'm just illustrating a point. In real life could a jeep bring the aircraft some fuel? Sure, why not. Does it belong in this game? I doubt it. If it were voted to be implemented should it take priority over ANY other addon the game is in need of (more equipment perhaps??)? No, it should not... I'm sorry but this wish is not needed.
Dedstick

Offline DeadStik

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 03:00:40 PM »

People keep asking for increased margins to land their score. "Make it the whole field." "Make it the dar ring." "Make it so you can have extra gas given to you." What is so wrong with the boundaries we have now? They are challenging and that makes it fun. If this is implemented, where do the crutches end? "I want a mechanic in the jeep to repair my bent prop. Also have them bring me ammo. Also have them bring a giant industrial fan which will give me a headwind/reduced takeoff roll (because who knows what this terrain you landed on is like)." Yeah I'm being sarcastic, but I'm just illustrating a point. In real life could a jeep bring the aircraft some fuel? Sure, why not. Does it belong in this game? I doubt it. If it were voted to be implemented should it take priority over ANY other addon the game is in need of (more equipment perhaps??)? No, it should not... I'm sorry but this wish is frivolous.
Dedstick

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 03:12:15 PM »
Triple Post  :noid

-Penguin

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »
You have a jeep fetish don't you?

+1 for more variety
I'm the jeepvert sir.. :D

Blah Blah Blah.

My only reason for liking it is that it would be fun.  Fun Krusty, that is all.  This is a game last time I checked.
THIS IS NOT FUN SIR!!!!!! THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!!! HERITIC!!! BLASPHEMER!!!!!! How DARE you want to have fun in a game.  Fix your priorities sir.. quickly. ;)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2011, 03:30:09 PM »
There's an old addage somewhere, I don't recall the originator of the quote but it goes something like: "When that which you love stops being a challenge, it also stops being fun" or perhaps something like "When you don't have to work for the reward you stop having fun".

Deadstik posted it quite nicely, as well.