Author Topic: Jeeps with AC fuel  (Read 4086 times)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
Re: Jeeps with AC fuel
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2011, 08:49:05 PM »
I'm also not so sure on the historical legitimacy of tank turrets shooting down aircraft... 

The point is, if something is physically possible to be achieved within the physics of the ww2 combat universe then there is no reason it should not be available to be used UNLESS it hinders gameplay or fun for others.  I have seen no evidence that this would cause anything but additional fun for those that wanted to use it, fun for those that get to attack the entire refueling operation, and an additional way for players to build teamwork and friendships <3. 

I wish I could be someone else, in a different squad, so that I could say "there is only truth in this statement".   But alas, I am me, and you will all think it's only because it was written by a friend and a squaddie that I endorse this statement, but that is not the reason. I endorse this and agree with this because it is reasonable, balanced and above all else true.

If it adds fun, was possible in WW2, and encourages teamwork, then it should be coaded. 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »
Dont worry Sunbat.. Grizz hates me and I still endorse the idea for the aforementioned reasons ;)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »
+EleventyBillion

Sorry Krusty, as far as I'm concerned you're just flat out wrong on this one. Nothing gamey about GVs refeuling aircraft, no more so than a box of supplies magically repairing, with the click of a button, a tank that has had its tracks blown off, engine shot out, and turret destroyed.

Look - many things in this game are in place because......:drumroll:......It's a GAME!

You think heavy bombers like Lancs and B-17's dive bombed tanks in WWII?

Why can aircraft rearm ordinance on a "rearm pad" at a field with no ords?

How many WWII aircraft had radar displays on a magical "clipboard" in the cockpit that rivals present day AWACS?

It's not about "getting your name in lights." That argument is a cop-out, in my opinion. Like Grizz said, it's about adding another entirely new element to gameplay for GVing missions. Successful refuels of a ditched aircraft would earn you GV perks just like resupplying a field would.

Hell, I think it should be expanded to be much bigger than just refueling aircraft with a Jeep (or M3 or 251 for that matter) but give us RESCUE missions! Think about it: People have asked for the PBY-5 Catalina, now we can rescue a downed airman at sea. The evil red icons will have another slow moving target to attack.... and likewise the friendlies have something else to defend and fight to protect. The text bar could read "XXXXXX has been rescued" and you would avoid the "You have been captured" message. Heck, I'd drive a Jeep or fly a goon or PBY as far as I had to in order to pick up and "rescue" a downed squaddie," and I'd have a blast trying to keep from getting killed in order to do so.

In the same vein as what MUZIK said, some of the most heroic actions in the history of warfare have been conducted by aircrews and ground forces in efforts to rescue other downed airmen or ground troops who fell behind or were shot down.

In my opinion, it has nothing what-so-ever to do with getting your name in lights and everything to do with adding additional challenges and possibilities to the game. To say otherwise is to completely and totally miss the point.  :old:
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »
So you're saying that the magical vehicle supplies that fix all things tank damage related in the click of a mouse are more realistic than a parked plane being refueled, because tankers get out of their tanks and pilots cannot?  Why can't the jeeper walk over to the aircraft and refuel it.  It isn't rocket science to refuel an airplane..
Yeah. but Krusty said no :headscratch:

I like the OP's idea, but feel a refueling truck would make more sense. :D Could you 'magine the explosion after strafing that son of a bish!
A 6x6 with some 55 gallon drums in the back would do the job.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
+EleventyBillion

Sorry Krusty, as far as I'm concerned you're just flat out wrong on this one. Nothing gamey about GVs refeuling aircraft, no more so than a box of supplies magically repairing, with the click of a button, a tank that has had its tracks blown off, engine shot out, and turret destroyed.

Look - many things in this game are in place because......:drumroll:......It's a GAME!

You think heavy bombers like Lancs and B-17's dive bombed tanks in WWII?

Why can aircraft rearm ordinance on a "rearm pad" at a field with no ords?

How many WWII aircraft had radar displays on a magical "clipboard" in the cockpit that rivals present day AWACS?

It's not about "getting your name in lights." That argument is a cop-out, in my opinion. Like Grizz said, it's about adding another entirely new element to gameplay for GVing missions. Successful refuels of a ditched aircraft would earn you GV perks just like resupplying a field would.

Hell, I think it should be expanded to be much bigger than just refueling aircraft with a Jeep (or M3 or 251 for that matter) but give us RESCUE missions! Think about it: People have asked for the PBY-5 Catalina, now we can rescue a downed airman at sea. The evil red icons will have another slow moving target to attack.... and likewise the friendlies have something else to defend and fight to protect. The text bar could read "XXXXXX has been rescued" and you would avoid the "You have been captured" message. Heck, I'd drive a Jeep or fly a goon or PBY as far as I had to in order to pick up and "rescue" a downed squaddie," and I'd have a blast trying to keep from getting killed in order to do so.

In the same vein as what MUZIK said, some of the most heroic actions in the history of warfare have been conducted by aircrews and ground forces in efforts to rescue other downed airmen or ground troops who fell behind or were shot down.

In my opinion, it has nothing what-so-ever to do with getting your name in lights and everything to do with adding additional challenges and possibilities to the game. To say otherwise is to completely and totally miss the point.  :old:
Yeah. but Krusty said no :headscratch:
 A 6x6 with some 55 gallon drums in the back would do the job.

In that case, implement it as Krusty suggested, even take it one step further, get refueled off the rearm pad and the sortie is over.

Do whatever you like after refueling.  No name in lights.  It's a cop out.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »
Cop out of what? What if you have no kills and still want to land, why not? God forbid we mix it up a little, take a break from the norm " But, but, the Spixteen drivers will get his name in lights and he doesn't desrve to have fun the way I think he should" Some of you would squeak if you got hung with a new rope.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2011, 10:25:42 PM »
Naaa.  I'm going back to my power-ups idea instead.

Fly through the "Ring-o-Fire" and get extra fuel.

Take more gas.  Plan better.  Or  :cry.

:P
wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2011, 10:42:19 PM »
I hear ya Macleod, I do. However most of these folks are requesting it because they took spit16s up with 25% and a DT, or 109K4s with 25%/DT, trying to get any unrealistic edge they can. Or they loiter around far too long looking for picks just to get 2 kills to land in the text buffer.

I know there are pilots like you, and sorry if I hurt the ol'e feelin's there, but in general for the benefit of all those other players, I would say I don't like the idea. I've even had it happen to me many a time. It sucks. I'll curse about it. However I'd rather not have the instant "do-over" features that most folks request on this forum.

Krusty's spot on, remember this is somewhat a combat simulation still, if i run out of gas, well i run out... but i always try to factor in some reserve to get back to the AF
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2011, 10:43:43 PM »
Naaa.  I'm going back to my power-ups idea instead.

Fly through the "Ring-o-Fire" and get extra fuel.

Take more gas.  Plan better.  Or  :cry.

:P
wrongway
Not really a power up. Just adding to a feature we already have :aok

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2011, 11:17:20 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:59:16 AM by Skuzzy »
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »
It's already been explained. In the war, crews would work on immobile tanks which were in the field of battle. For aircraft the pilot would walk away from the aircraft and not return to it. This wish is not something that was exercised, whereas the tank supplies did happen.

It did happen. Not only did it happen, It happened A LOT. They didnt have clipboards with radar maps that told them where everything was. Getting lost was OUTrageously common in aviation in those days. Running out of fuel as a result was also. And it probably happened on many occassions EXACTLY like the OP asked for it, WITH A JEEP AND A FEW GAS TANKS.

In the US, "Operational accidents" (which included countless incidents of running out of gas) were so bad they caused almost as much damage and loss as the enemy. (It was the same on all sides) So they created Grandpa Pettibone. In the following link, theres even a few bits in this one about running out of gas. And because I already know how your simple lil brain works, before you get the brilliant idea of stealing Pettibones wisdom for your argument, just remember it doesnt make you any less WRONG!

http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/gramps/Gramps%20intro,%20features%20%20and%20pix/Gramps%2020%20years.pdf

The day of Erich Hartmanns first contact with the enemy he got lost and LANDED his 109 120 miles from his base!

Here's one, read John P kessler. Not full details, but obviously he landed, refueled somehow, and flew his aircraft back to base!
http://books.google.com/books?id=EkUc5FEoaIsC&pg=PA157&lpg=PA157&dq=fighter+pilot...out+of+fuel...landed+in+a+field&source=bl&ots=ALEIVErjt_&sig=xxvdb1qsndvhS6e_bXnNhoz97WQ&hl=en&ei=3zhKTZT-LpSosAPGks3LCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CCkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Youre wrong and you dont have a clue what you are talking about so just keep hiding behind ---> "hitech said no" because you're incapable of valid arguments. Hitech said this game was about air combat. These things were an INEXTRICABLE part of air combat. In RL it wasnt fun in the moment but after the fact, I bet some of those guys wouldnt have traded their adventures for anything. In AH it would be fun!
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2011, 09:08:08 AM »
i personally don't care one way or another, I would like a new hit animation tho so when this fuel jeep blows up, it should leave a fire behind like the big fire plume from a base object for about a minute :)

but the other thing is I think everyone overestimating how often it would be used.. I pretty much never run out of gas. I take 100%+ in everything except bombers.. are people really running out of gas all the time? I think the only time I can remember running out of gas is in a corsair with a tank hit. fuel jeep aint gonna help there.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2011, 09:34:27 AM »
People seem to think that some would take advantage of this by running minimal fuel and then having squaddies re-fuel them in the sticks all the time.

I don't think it would take long for that sort of behavior to wear thin with most squads. "Ahh so and so ran out of gas AGAIN? Man, I ain't bringing him any this time, I got strafed the last two times I tried. Let's draw straws (so to speak)"

I seriously believe that this would be used as an "emergency only" option, and would provide a little  more immersion in the game.

When I rtb, I do it with the intent of landing my plane. Whether I have 0 kills or enough to get my name up isn't the issue. I do it so my little cartoon man can walk over to the club and get a dance with a nurse and a cold beer.

+1 for a fueling option.
See Rule #4

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »
People seem to think that some would take advantage of this by running minimal fuel and then having squaddies re-fuel them in the sticks all the time.

I don't think it would take long for that sort of behavior to wear thin with most squads. "Ahh so and so ran out of gas AGAIN? Man, I ain't bringing him any this time, I got strafed the last two times I tried. Let's draw straws (so to speak)"

I seriously believe that this would be used as an "emergency only" option, and would provide a little  more immersion in the game.

When I rtb, I do it with the intent of landing my plane. Whether I have 0 kills or enough to get my name up isn't the issue. I do it so my little cartoon man can walk over to the club and get a dance with a nurse and a cold beer.

+1 for a fueling option.

Given the number of people who "care" about their score I think the RESCUE attempt would be more common than the refuel mission, keeing that "You have  been captured" message from popping up.

:noid

+1 to Jeeps with fuel, and PBY-5s for rescues !  :banana:
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2011, 12:54:24 PM »
In that case, implement it as Krusty suggested, even take it one step further, get refueled off the rearm pad and the sortie is over.

Do whatever you like after refueling.  No name in lights.  It's a cop out.

wrongway

You seem to be very passionate about the "name in the lights" system.  Get there much?