Author Topic: Are you a "timid" flyer?  (Read 8040 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Are you a "timid" flyer?
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
the k4 is a lethal and highly survivable plane, surely

And is invariably more survivable the more lethal it becomes.   :D

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »
Dirtdart, by avoiding the fight you said you would lose against the F4U you have taken away an opportunity to get better in that type of fight. You said you aspire to be able to take on 4 and come out alive (oh and I have seen AKAK do this many times, most often under 10k with me filling any and all of the different kills at one time or another). How can you hope to get better if you don't try it?

It has nothing to with avoiding the fight with the corsair, it has more to do with defending the base.  If I want 1 v 1s, I will head to the DA.  There are not many who respect a 1 v 1 when it is happening in the MA and will pick.  Just calling me out on 200 is not going to get me into fighting outside of my initial mission, which in that case, was defending the base against mid-alt buffs.  Just saying....

As far as akak goes, well he just goes a bit far sometimes.  He is the loud drunk in the corner of the bar that slurs meaningless glumb.  The new people say "who the hell is that guy" with disdain.  The bartender says, "just akak, he's been coming here for years".  Ahhh Ok.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:30:47 PM by dirtdart »
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »
Not necessarily.  I've inadvertently scored #1 in fighter multiple times when I was flying hundreds of mostly k4 sorties in fighter.  I've seen JoeyTony, Drbone, and lazer do it also.

The K4 is an extremely lethal and highly survivable plane when flown to its strengths.  I don't see any issues there.  I'd be more interested to see how many folks inadvertently ranked #1 flying, say, an F4U-1A or Yak.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »
The K4 is an extremely lethal and highly survivable plane when flown to its strengths.  I don't see any issues there.  I'd be more interested to see how many folks inadvertently ranked #1 flying, say, an F4U-1A or Yak.

I have seen it being reached in a P-38J, with basically all sorties (and a lot of, not just a few) in fighter mode.
I did find that remarkable, but maybe it's just because I can't even get there  when flying Tempest only ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »
I have seen it being reached in a P-38J, with basically all sorties (and a lot of, not just a few) in fighter mode.
I did find that remarkable, but maybe it's just because I can't even get there  when flying Tempest only ;)

Yep, "Ice" did that iirc like a year ago.  Not sure if it was an old vet or a lazer shade.

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »
When I am flying, I try to pick a fight that seems reasonable engagment such as without too much fear of getting gangbanged either by baddies or more friendlies coming in. If I am having 1vs1, which is hard to do in the MA at times and if a friendly comes in (i'll ask him to stay out or ask for help if needed) then I'll usually disengage because I don't really like 2-3-4 vs 1, unless I happen to be that 1 lol. If that happens, I'll drag them over to friendlies to make the odds little bit more interesting. I get slammed for it and accused of running but that is part of the 'reasonable engagment' that I like to pratice. True it is just a game and such but due to lack of confidence (sorry for the drama sounding as that is) and getting so frustrated at it sometimes, I tend to be little conservative. Then again, I do love diving into a horde (as long as i have alt lol) and harassing them. I know the Bishop usually knows its me in the pony that dives headlong into their horde, especially if i turn on 200 and say my favorite line, ever  (Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooy Leeeeeeeeekiiiiins!)  :rock
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »

Scoring #1 in fighter with a P-38 alone would be quite a comendable feat in my estimation.  Specifically beacuse I have yet to crack the code on them.  

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
When I am flying, I try to pick a fight that seems reasonable engagment such as without too much fear of getting gangbanged either by baddies or more friendlies coming in. If I am having 1vs1, which is hard to do in the MA at times and if a friendly comes in (i'll ask him to stay out or ask for help if needed) then I'll usually disengage because I don't really like 2-3-4 vs 1, unless I happen to be that 1 lol. If that happens, I'll drag them over to friendlies to make the odds little bit more interesting. I get slammed for it and accused of running but that is part of the 'reasonable engagment' that I like to pratice. True it is just a game and such but due to lack of confidence (sorry for the drama sounding as that is) and getting so frustrated at it sometimes, I tend to be little conservative. Then again, I do love diving into a horde (as long as i have alt lol) and harassing them. I know the Bishop usually knows its me in the pony that dives headlong into their horde, especially if i turn on 200 and say my favorite line, ever  (Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooy Leeeeeeeeekiiiiins!)  :rock

Man, I need to learn this skill  :old:

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2011, 01:31:07 PM »
Not necessarily.  I've inadvertently scored #1 in fighter multiple times when I was flying hundreds of mostly k4 sorties in fighter.  I've seen JoeyTony, Drbone, and lazer do it also.
I'm holding number 8 spot in fighter, most kills in k4, haven't played in a week, I wasn't trying playing for just happens when I go out and do my thing I do better then trying to go for score
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »
Joach1m out of this thread plz
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2011, 02:27:16 PM »
I'm holding number 8 spot in fighter, most kills in k4, haven't played in a week, I wasn't trying playing for just happens when I go out and do my thing I do better then trying to go for score

Um, 25% of your fighter kills this tour are in a 262.  If you take that out, your K/D drops nearly 1 kill per death.  No 262, no #8.  Not even close in fact.

That's not to say that you're not a great virtual pilot, but it's important to put things into context.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2011, 02:34:51 PM »
 Why hate on them, again, you have exposed yourself as a tempermental bully.  "Your not flying the way I think you should fly because you ran 25% of your missions in fighter mode so you would not drop your score...I am taking my ball and going home".  Arrogance.

Where have I told anyone how to fly?  I find it funny that some of these self-perceived "experten" need to manipulate the scoring system to achieve their artificial rank.

Like someone mentioned many years ago, before you were around, that the ones to fear most aren't the ones ranked in the Top 10.  Just sayin'.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »
Like someone mentioned many years ago, before you were around, that the ones to fear most aren't the ones ranked in the Top 10.  Just sayin'.

ack-ack

Here we see eye to eye. 

BTW, I do go back a grip, I just did not keep my old handle. 

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2011, 03:06:47 PM »
Um, 25% of your fighter kills this tour are in a 262.  If you take that out, your K/D drops nearly 1 kill per death.  No 262, no #8.  Not even close in fact.

That's not to say that you're not a great virtual pilot, but it's important to put things into context.

Not factoring Joch1m's 262 sorties, his K/D ratio this tour is 4.27.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Colt44

• Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2011, 03:13:55 PM »
When I am flying, I try to pick a fight that seems reasonable engagment
       :salute

Exactly!    Who determines a resonable engagement?   The pilot of any said aircraft.....its his choice.     Brrrrrrrrrrrilliant. 

or in my case...the amount of 12 year old scotch in the house.   If im in the black p-40e...I can be goated to swing.   Just an FYI