Author Topic: Are you a "timid" flyer?  (Read 8032 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Are you a "timid" flyer?
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:57:34 AM »
Seems to be the latest lingo for not flying the way some wants you to.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Are you a "timid" flyer?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:59:48 AM »
I am learning to be a bit more conservative to reduce time spent re-upping and flying back to the fights ;>

But generally I like to get stuck into the thick of it, best way to learn, and makes it more likely I'll be of some use, even if it's just as a distraction.
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 04:05:47 AM »
Seems to be the latest lingo for not flying the way some wants you to.
Most just smacktalk to get that guy to come down and engage. Only way you are going to fly the way I want you too is to keep still at 200 off my nose and turn off the collision modeling  :mad:
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 09:33:38 AM »
I had to check to make sure this wasn't some old re-post from the late 90s.....
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »
Learn to "fish yer six", sometimes you have to give up something to get them to bite, they soon realize that you bite back.....  :rofl

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »
It's varies with my mood.  If I'm in a good mood and already having fun, I will go through and engage every icon in range.  If I log on in a bad mood, my main goal is to stay alive (no matter how many kills I get...0...1....8) so I don't die and make my mood worse  :D
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:35:53 AM »
99% of the time "timid" means someone in a slow, maneuverable aircraft is mad that someone in a fast, not-so-maneuverable aircraft won't slow down and turnfight him.

If you can't stand it when you can't force a fight, then fly one of the fast, not-so-maneuverable aircraft.  No one ever turns down a 1vs1 against a 190D-9 or P-47N.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:14:46 AM »

If you can't stand it when you can't force a fight, then fly one of the fast, not-so-maneuverable aircraft....or P-47N.

Hmmm...  That would be a mistake.  It is fast... AND very maneuverable.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »
Am I?

Yes.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 11:18:05 AM »
The timidness I've seen called out is when a person in a maneuverable aircraft is afraid to engage and get a litle dirty.

An example:  I'm in a 38, and a higher 38 comes and starts to dive on me.  I try to equalize E states, but still know that he has more speed built up.  I'll break down and left at some point when he's almost in gun range, hoping to induce an overshoot.  He doesn't bite, but instead of doing something like a high yo-yo and staying within 1.2k to 1.5k off of me, he zooms up to 3k and the process repeats itself, basically resetting the situation, often allowing me to gain altitude in the process.

Then, after the altitude advantage is nearly negated, the enemy 38 flies away from the fight, but reverses each time I try to break off and go elsewhere.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
The timidness I've seen called out is when a person in a maneuverable aircraft is afraid to engage and get a litle dirty.

An example:  I'm in a 38, and a higher 38 comes and starts to dive on me.  I try to equalize E states, but still know that he has more speed built up.  I'll break down and left at some point when he's almost in gun range, hoping to induce an overshoot.  He doesn't bite, but instead of doing something like a high yo-yo and staying within 1.2k to 1.5k off of me, he zooms up to 3k and the process repeats itself, basically resetting the situation, often allowing me to gain altitude in the process.

Then, after the altitude advantage is nearly negated, the enemy 38 flies away from the fight, but reverses each time I try to break off and go elsewhere.
Bingo.  Exactly why I posted the Sick Puppies in MidWar thread.  MW is typcially not like this, not the extreme the SPs brought to us at least.  Back to LW they must go!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 11:48:13 AM »
Only when I have a 262 even then I'm not that timid, I already lost 7 this tour I think. :airplane:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 11:53:20 AM »
I believe that "timid" is oftentimes the newer players interpretations of BnZ or "E" fighting.  You're a new player so you hop into a P-51 because at least on this side of the pond it's probably the most recognized plane from WW2, and it was the fighter that won the war after all right? ;)

So you charge off into the skies and promptly get beat down when you run into spits, la's, N1K's, etc. So you look around and say "what's happening?" the most common answer you're going to get is "stay fast" or "don't get into a low speed turning fight".  So with your limited experience and understanding of the finer points of ACM and the flight modeling you apply that bit of advice in the only way you can figure out.  You go for targets of opportunity, you don't let your speed drop below 400mph and you take advantage of the 51's high speed and long range.  Because it's the only way you know how to get a kill w/out being a an easy target for everyone in the arena and killing is a lot more fun than dying in here.

In many ways timid flyers are created from within the community.  Hopefully they'll move past it and continue to develop their skill set because the problem with timid flying is it in many ways denies the player a chance to actually engage in an extended fight and learn from it.

At least that was my personal experience.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »
Bingo.  Exactly why I posted the Sick Puppies in MidWar thread.  MW is typcially not like this, not the extreme the SPs brought to us at least.  Back to LW they must go!
What is your in game name again?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »

Oh please, that's exactly the way you used to fly in the MW arena when I used to fly in there.  Call kettle black much?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song