Author Topic: So. who is really to blame?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: So. who is really to blame?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »
I guess I and most of the guys in this thread see things a little differently than the average parent.  My job was to instill a sense of discipline, a work ethic, and a moral compass, into my son.  I think I've accomplished that.

And yes when I was growing up I'd much have rathered my mom or dad catching me doing something stupid than to have a neighbor report it to them.  The butt whippings were not as severe in the former case.

Fortunately I didn't have to do much corporal punishment on my son. 

You probably still remember a day when you got it at school and, when you got home, got it twice as bad for having to be punished at school.

and WOW !   You are still alive!

Imagine that...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »
Shocking isn't it?

Remember trading taking licks in lieu of staying after school or running the track through athletics?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
Shocking isn't it?

Remember trading taking licks in lieu of staying after school or running the track through athletics?

There would be witch-hunts, tribunals, and mega media coverage if that happened today.

Oh wait...   it has...
http://www.totalprosports.com/2011/02/22/holy-family-university-coach-hits-kicks-player-during-practice-video/

WAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!    :cry

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
At 5th grade it's the parents fault.  Actually, it's the parents fault for everything the kid does till the magical 18th birthday comes along.

I got a ticket for being truant from High School last year and had to take time off work twice to plead my side and win.  Oh yeah, I'm 40+ and was at work at the time of the incident, but a child of mine was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I figured someone would bring up ADD or ADHD.  Really?  You know, every parent these days just KNOWS that their child has one or the other.  I mean, why else would MY child possibly behave like that?  

Maybe another time-out is in order.  OK Timmy, I hope you know that this hurts me more than it hurts you, but I'm going to have to put you into a time-out for 4 minutes (because that's the recommended time in some politically correct "parenting" magazine)

Gimme a break.  :bhead
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »
Yet another result of the 'parents' today forcing the government and the school districts into being surrogate parents because they don't want to do the job.  If I had gotten caught skipping school my happy little butt would have been at the station and they would have called my dad.  Then  :O
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
If I had gotten caught skipping school my happy little butt would have been at the station and they would have called my dad.  Then  :O

That's about exactly what happened.  I got the call while at work.  :furious    The ocifer then took all my info, I didn't understand why, until I got the court date in the mail.  THEN all hell broke loose.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 12:24:05 PM »
You know though a lot of the younger guys on this board and in this game seem to be very polite, intelligent, and well disciplined young men.  And then, of course, a lot of the guys here seem to share a lot of the same core values so perhaps there is more hope than we see. 

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 12:32:16 PM »
we're all (young and old) just a tiny microcosm of the social fabric...remember all the rejects in school (male and female) that sat at the back of the class and were always in trouble? they reproduced...then propaganda news shows tried to tell the rest of us that the standards we grew up with were wrong

welcome to the 21st century...  :aok
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »
You know though a lot of the younger guys on this board and in this game seem to be very polite, intelligent, and well disciplined young men.  And then, of course, a lot of the guys here seem to share a lot of the same core values so perhaps there is more hope than we see. 

I hope that you are right, my friend.

My fear is that, one day, this country will be full of weak folks all of them trying to appease and not offend each other.

Like Rome:

the coffers are empty

The place i full of non-citizens who could care less who is running the show

an the enemy is a the gates

I'm afraid hat one day, it won't even take much of a fight...

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »
*snickers* Gyrene the prettythang  :lol

On subject parent and kid are at fault.  Arrive at your destination 10 minutes early and you'll never be late.  Make the kid go to bed on time and get up in time to get where he's going.

For those of us significantly over the equator (North East United States) this becomes a severe problem in the winter.  You see, the human body will wake up on its own if exposed to light- however, having our first class at 7:20 AM is a poor way to achieve this aim.  As such, children and adolescents are frequently groggy in the morning- as if they had been forced awake in the middle of the night (which they are being- just look outside).  

Not only is this painful, but needless and dangerous.  If one is not awake, errors in judgement are much more likely for people of all ages.  If left to their own devices, teens will fall asleep at approximately 22:00, and to force them to sleep earlier results in irregular sleep cycles.  In fact, I am currently my own guinea pig in my quest to find the answer to why I am groggy in the morning.  

My results have been strange, and sometimes horrifiying.  Things went swimmingly until after I crossed the 22:00 margin. After attempting to fall asleep at 21:44, I dreamt of forgetting homework and messing with my alarm clock while having two dead iguanas tied around my neck (and later having to exrtract their major blood vessels).  I would also awaken at all hours of the night, either thirsty or needing to relieve myself.  

People shouldn't have to live like this!

:salute
-Penguin

PS I was not intoxicated at any time during these trials, and I have no discernable problems with bladder control, diabetes, or insomnia

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »
For those of us significantly over the equator (North East United States) this becomes a severe problem in the winter.  You see, the human body will wake up on its own if exposed to light- however, having our first class at 7:20 AM is a poor way to achieve this aim.  As such, children and adolescents are frequently groggy in the morning- as if they had been forced awake in the middle of the night (which they are being- just look outside).  

Not only is this painful, but needless and dangerous.  If one is not awake, errors in judgement are much more likely for people of all ages.  If left to their own devices, teens will fall asleep at approximately 22:00, and to force them to sleep earlier results in irregular sleep cycles.  In fact, I am currently my own guinea pig in my quest to find the answer to why I am groggy in the morning.  

My results have been strange, and sometimes horrifiying.  Things went swimmingly until after I crossed the 22:00 margin. After attempting to fall asleep at 21:44, I dreamt of forgetting homework and messing with my alarm clock while having two dead iguanas tied around my neck (and later having to exrtract their major blood vessels).  I would also awaken at all hours of the night, either thirsty or needing to relieve myself.  

People shouldn't have to live like this!

:salute
-Penguin

PS I was not intoxicated at any time during these trials, and I have no discernable problems with bladder control, diabetes, or insomnia

Horse apples.

Your body will wake up any time u tell it to, if you have some self discipline.

Try some  PT in the morning.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 12:54:30 PM »
:cry  I just want to be able to sleep in    :cry

Fixed.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 12:56:44 PM »
Fixed.

Can you fix my keyboard?  (I keep missing keystrokes)

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »
Can you fix my keyboard?  (I keep missing keystrokes)

Try it now, I fexid it!   :cheers:

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »
Horse apples.

Your body will wake up any time u tell it to, if you have some self discipline.

Try some  PT in the morning.

agreed, i wake up 5am every morning alarm or not, really a pisser on the weekends when i would like to sleep in, but when i do sleep in it's only till 7am, my son's getting into the same routine and he very seldom needs an alarm for school, he has a set bedtime of 10pm, at first he used to argue about it but now realizes its for his own good, i will let him sleep in on the weekends till about 9am , time wasted is time lost  :aok
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch