Author Topic: Tail slide flip  (Read 4213 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: Tail slide flip
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 04:06:38 PM »

That guy needs to learn to fly, all he does is ram people.

:D

i just fly inverted in bomber formations   :D
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »
i just fly inverted in bomber formations   :D
Did ya give the nme the bird and take a picture too?  :eek:

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 11:08:23 PM »
P47 requires rudder and flaps and 109's have to be slow and dot use rudder, I'll post a film here shortly

waiting!!!  :aok

zoom has the funniest skit I've seen in a while lol  :rofl  wing tap them, "golden"  :cheers:
412TH braunco mustangs <--or so I hope lol

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 11:11:52 PM »
You don't need rudder to do a tailslide in a plane w/ alot of torque. If you're slow enough at the top of a loop snap your ailerons to the left and you'll slide.. controlling it is where it gets tricky.

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 11:15:40 PM »
You don't need rudder to do a tailslide in a plane w/ alot of torque. If you're slow enough at the top of a loop snap your ailerons to the left and you'll slide.. controlling it is where it gets tricky.
well lets get into the tricky parts!  :D

give a narrative video on 2 or more controlled tail slides.   btw my p-51 will do a back flip type move.  I wish I could explain it better   :headscratch:      :airplane:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:17:13 PM by VAMPIRE 2? »
412TH braunco mustangs <--or so I hope lol

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 11:16:58 PM »
Krup, don't you use the rudder to bring your nose back around after you have tail slid as far as you wanted?

I have always used the rudder to stop the tail slide....

use the ailerons to keep the plane from rolling /twisting with the torque...... practice makes perfect ( lots of practice )
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 10:06:24 AM »
I think I'll do a narrated video about this move... but when I have time.

P47 requires rudder and flaps and 109's have to be slow and not use rudder, I'll post a film here shortly

WRONG and WRONG...

To start the manoeuver is very simple but its behavior is quite different depending on the plane, attitude and speed (usually lower than 225mph) but the jug can do it at 275mph.
Just yank the stick lower left with right rudder and keep it there until you need to recover or aim to shoot... or crash
Why?

1- Left aileron: The right wing giving more lift, it generates more drag and therefore induces right yaw on the plane (Try it with the Ta152 and see what I mean)

2- Pitch up: Pitching up is the key here as the prop gyro precession will yaw your plane to the right on a clockwise rotating prop (Try the WW1 Camel and see what I mean)

3- Right rudder: fairly obvious, the keywords being "right yaw" is all you need to hear. You can start by a left rudder and yank it right to have some more momentum (like before drifting a turn in rallye racing)

4- you DONT need flaps to start this manoeuver. Heck I can do it in the 190 below 200mph.

As you can see, every control input will help your plane tail slide to the right against the aerodynamic forces keeping your plane stable in flight.
When you master it, you can do it with 500' of ground clearance and find more uses to it like starting a LH spin in horizontal flight, a RH hammerhead or doing a "farewell shot" to someone right behind you.

On a side note, the Bf110 (and TA152) does the same thing but with left rudder and is almost unrecoverable (Its a simple LH snap roll). RH snap rolls on the 110 are very safe however.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:19:04 AM by Lepape2 »
Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »
It seems that 2 different maneuvers are being discussed in this thread and both are called tail slides. What is generally called a tail slide is an aircraft going vertical until it stops and falls tail first towards the ground. For clarity and good communication I think we need a term for the other maneuver being discussed. I'd call it a stall turn but that is already used as an alternate term for a hammerhead. I personally think of the other "tail slide" as a "Lepape" but I'm open to suggestions like stall spin turn or stall yaw turn.

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »
It seems that 2 different maneuvers are being discussed in this thread and both are called tail slides. What is generally called a tail slide is an aircraft going vertical until it stops and falls tail first towards the ground. For clarity and good communication I think we need a term for the other maneuver being discussed. I'd call it a stall turn but that is already used as an alternate term for a hammerhead. I personally think of the other "tail slide" as a "Lepape" but I'm open to suggestions like stall spin turn or stall yaw turn.

Gyro induced flat stall?
180 insta tail slide?
Farewell flat stall?
Spin of death?

No one really knows and that's why it remains so mysterious. Unless someone can point the official name for it from a worthy source we can only speculate.
Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »

zoom has the funniest skit I've seen in a while lol  :rofl  wing tap them, "golden"  :cheers:
I forgot...I'll post it
I think I'll do a narrated video about this move... but when I have time.

WRONG and WRONG...

To start the manoeuver is very simple but its behavior is quite different depending on the plane, attitude and speed (usually lower than 225mph) but the jug can do it at 275mph.
Just yank the stick lower left with right rudder and keep it there until you need to recover or aim to shoot... or crash
Why?

1- Left aileron: The right wing giving more lift, it generates more drag and therefore induces right yaw on the plane (Try it with the Ta152 and see what I mean)

2- Pitch up: Pitching up is the key here as the prop gyro precession will yaw your plane to the right on a clockwise rotating prop (Try the WW1 Camel and see what I mean)

3- Right rudder: fairly obvious, the keywords being "right yaw" is all you need to hear. You can start by a left rudder and yank it right to have some more momentum (like before drifting a turn in rallye racing)

4- you DONT need flaps to start this manoeuver. Heck I can do it in the 190 below 200mph.

As you can see, every control input will help your plane tail slide to the right against the aerodynamic forces keeping your plane stable in flight.
When you master it, you can do it with 500' of ground clearance and find more uses to it like starting a LH spin in horizontal flight, a RH hammerhead or doing a "farewell shot" to someone right behind you.

On a side note, the Bf110 (and TA152) does the same thing but with left rudder and is almost unrecoverable (Its a simple LH snap roll). RH snap rolls on the 110 are very safe however.
well can't argue with you, king o all tail slides but in a k4 I don't need rudder to get it to "tail slide"
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »

http://www.mediafire.com/?x11iue88ygien6a. If its a k4 its the right one
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 11:38:30 AM »
Lepape what you described is basically a vertical snap roll with side stick. I don't think that's what everyone else is doing and calling a tail slide. Some are actual tail slides and some are variations on stall turns. I think the OP is referring to Krupinski doing a vertical snap roll also.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 11:48:40 AM »
Chit, watch the film it crazy

That was hilarious! New mental note: Hold the trigger down when you lose important flight surfaces, you might hit someone on your way down!  :devil

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com