Author Topic: Video of some upcoming tank changes  (Read 17273 times)

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
Re: Video of some upcoming tank changes
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »
Not a big GV guy here (so take with a grain of salt).

But

Not sure how I feel about the automatic transmission.  Seems kinda like a step backwards from realism into a "lets make gameplay easier for the sake of easyness (sp)"

I do dig the new gunsights +1

Will you still be able to go to the drivers position?  I always thought of the different positions having their pros and cons.  The drivers position gave you the capability to maneuver and drive but lacked 360 visibility.  Gunner had basic directional steering control, smaller field of view but you could obviously shoot.  The Pintle/ TC position gives the best view, basic steering, but only a small gun if any.  That seemed realistic.

I understand that what your doing is mating the different positions into a single operator (we the player being the sole handler of any 1 vehicle) and it makes sense but isn't the best gv driver the player that can master these different positions and make them each work together in the most efficient way?

It kinda looks like we will soon have the capability to drive a gv in an augmented F3 mode...  -1 for F3 gv mode (sorry I'm sure i'll get flamed here)

I do want to close with a big + to HTC willing to try new things and continually updating and adapting the game.    

-Climber

it is more realistic if anything as a real tank would have five guys in it this is the best way for the game to model it.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline climber

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 11:48:50 AM »
Yeah I agree that HT can't model 5 guys in the tank.  Like I said I appreciate the cajones to try new things on their part. 

It definitely will assist in situational awareness.  I'm not complaining or trying to whine, start a war or be anything at all contriversial (go figure on this forum, it seems like the norm to whine).  I'm just curious as to how it will affect gameplay.

I'm curious to see it in action and try it.  Still pondering as to why i'm not 100% sold yet though. 

Give me some mulling over time :)

-Climber
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 11:52:34 AM »
 :aok
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 11:54:31 AM »
hey Pyro will we be aloud a tank driver and a tank commander again?

as of now we cant do that.

i remember back in the day we use to be able to do this
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 12:07:06 PM »
If there is a commander position on the vehicle, then there is no driver's position.  We're also pulling out most hull gunners and just slaving that position to the coax so that it fires along with your coax if you're aiming within its field of fire.  It's a really big deal to us if we can skip modeling the interior of tanks.  That takes the biggest chunk of development time on tanks but doesn't add a commensurate value.  Not doing an interior on a tank makes it way faster to kick out new tanks. 

You also won't be able to take on a second player as a gunner if your vehicle has a commander position.  Vehicles that have a commander's position will basically be anything with a tank sight. 

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »
If there is a commander position on the vehicle, then there is no driver's position.  We're also pulling out most hull gunners and just slaving that position to the coax so that it fires along with your coax if you're aiming within its field of fire.  It's a really big deal to us if we can skip modeling the interior of tanks.  That takes the biggest chunk of development time on tanks but doesn't add a commensurate value.  Not doing an interior on a tank makes it way faster to kick out new tanks. 

You also won't be able to take on a second player as a gunner if your vehicle has a commander position.  Vehicles that have a commander's position will basically be anything with a tank sight. 
:aok truly out did your self :cheers:s with this one!
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 12:10:34 PM »
Frikking awesome Pyro!  :aok Guess I am gonna have to figure out how to use the mouse now... :headscratch:
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
Pyro first off i would like to say thanks for the video update, to me that's first class and better than any writing info, hope you do more of these videos on your work in progress, it gives us customers tidbits to keep us going and makes us feel part of the team, good job <<S>>  the mods to the tanks look very cool, only question though, will the transmissions all be auto or will there be a choice manual or auto, i do like the option to Taylor my speed by what gear I'm in during battles
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »
Gunner's in planes will use the new system too. 
ok very cool.

As far as losing the Auto tran?  it just doesn't feel like it will be a loss to be.  Feels more like a freeing up of time and effort better spent elsewhere in the hunting/being hunted process.

What about those turret sounds Pyro?  Turret motors humming under load? turret gears meshing?  Just curious.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 12:16:59 PM »
Pyro first off i would like to say thanks for the video update, to me that's first class and better than any writing info, hope you do more of these videos on your work in progress, it gives us customers tidbits to keep us going and makes us feel part of the team, good job <<S>>  the mods to the tanks look very cool, only question though, will the transmissions all be auto or will there be a choice manual or auto, i do like the option to Taylor my speed by what gear I'm in during battles
You can change your speed just by not hitting the W key as much...he does it while driving so Manual transmission isnt needed.

Pyro did you mean to slip up and say the Tank destroyers were coming to Aces High?  :D

M18 = Next GV I got $5 on it  :devil
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 12:19:01 PM »
Not doing an interior on a tank makes it way faster to kick out new tanks. 

Interesting tid bit there!

Looks awesome Pyro!  I'm not a GV guy, but this might get me back into the ground game!

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 12:20:07 PM »
Who's the stud narrating?

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »
That looks pretty good.  Maybe GVs will cease to be 'the metal box I wait to die in', but I doubt it.  I'm more excited about mouse controls for aircraft guns.  That's going to make aiming much easier.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 12:27:38 PM »
 :O :O :O :banana: :banana: :banana:
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »