Author Topic: Just for CAP1 a real car!  (Read 2229 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: Just for CAP1 a real car!
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 12:11:56 PM »
The Shelby Cobra has always been my lifelong dream car, there just out of my price range at this time in Life. But from what i have read there is another Car that was helped engineered and designed by an employee at Carrol Sheby's, the Sunbeam Tiger.  Now that would be my second choice of a little muscle car to play around in, the V8 version was just scary fast but there cornering was not real good, with todays technology the suspension would be the first thing to upgrade to tame that power for the corners.

UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
-shrug-
.. my Vette avg's 31mpg at 70
.. will do 13's in the quarter 
.. corners so hard it hurts
..is downright scary to punch the brakes in a panic stop situation because it stops so fast.
..has 123k miles on it
..insurance is 3 dollars more every *6* months than my Nissan pickup is (both same coverage, same company)
..is a '97 coupe (C-5) with no add-ons .. yet.
..~3200lbs/345hp with 17x8.5 ft & 18x9.5 rear wheels with stickier tires than 'stock' all around
..cost $11.5k (can you say 'bang for buck?)

Of course I want more out of it
.. I plan to add a 427 LS motor (500+hp) in a couple years followed by a ProCharger (another 200+hp) and all the system upgrades that entails.
Goal is 700hp at the rear wheels .. fairly mild but that will do for me jest fine :)

There are members of our club here with dual turbo/methanol injected C-5 beasts that top 1100hp
..and still have not approached the GT-R's initial cost.

There are a couple of folks in the club that have newer iron very much beefed up that are probably in the GT-R's ballpark
for costs .. one is even a new black camaro SS .. supercharged 427, coil-overs, 1100hp .. scary to be close to when he punches it :)

Just sayin .. the GT-R .. I will never own one.
I'll just tinker a bit with my Vette and do just fine .. straight line, turns, stops .. it does it all very well and for a lot less.
And it looks *good* every day all day :)

-Frank aka GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 04:37:37 PM »
I just finished doing meth. injection, air-water intercooling, and a nitrous system on a track day viper and it was still a dog.

It takes a very good driver (and a small one) to make this car fast on the track.

hmmm   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inO-F5mbtKw
See Rule #4

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »
I know I commited the sin of mentioning the Aston Martin as a "real car"

but...... I cant resist these two American Cars.... While not as sweet as a Merlin... their sounds.....  :x  :joystick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHHoYBKEvsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgYYZXYABN0
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »

Talk about all these classic cars makes you want to watch the Bullitt car chase starring Steve McQueen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMc2RdFuOxI

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »

Talk about all these classic cars makes you want to watch the Bullitt car chase starring Steve McQueen

back when they used to actually drive cars for the chase scenes.....
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2011, 05:57:17 PM »

i think the Charger was a better car than the mustang. but thats just me.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »
i think the Charger was a better car than the mustang. but thats just me.

in this instance, you're 100% correct.

they had to hold back in the charger in order for Steve McQueen to keep up in the mustang. the stang was a 68 gt390. i think, but i'm not sure....the charger was a 440. it was loads faster. i think they handled about equally.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »
Aston does make limited edition monsters.

The Vantage V600 is one such car with the "600" meaning factory horsepower.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2011, 01:27:03 PM »
One shot in the Bullit chase just cracks me up *every* time ..

Steve yanks the stang around a sharp right corner and blasts the throttle and the camera shows the stang do a one-wheel burnout off into the distance .. poor thing hadn't a chance of stayin with the charger's posi.

I useda run a '69 Road Runner (owned it for a lot of years ..family car, bracket racin when I could, lotta street races)
..2 years in I stuffed a 426 wedge under the hood usin 11:1 compression and found an inline dual carb manifold off a 413 ..I put two 625cfm carter AFB's on it and used the originial baseplate under the 'Coyote Duster' top plate.. if you looked at it it looked like a stock 383 'cept for the headers ..

-evil grin-

..I ran 4:30 gears behind the 4-speed .. and I never lost to a Mustang anything.
They were similar to corvettes of the era .. if they had horsepower, they had no traction (there weren't any street tires sticky enough to hook 'em).
If they hooked up it meant they had no horsepower to stave off the top end charge the Road Runner would put on 'em :) And if they had no posi .. it was *embarrasing* what I would do to them.

-GE aka Frank
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
One shot in the Bullit chase just cracks me up *every* time ..

Steve yanks the stang around a sharp right corner and blasts the throttle and the camera shows the stang do a one-wheel burnout off into the distance .. poor thing hadn't a chance of stayin with the charger's posi.

I useda run a '69 Road Runner (owned it for a lot of years ..family car, bracket racin when I could, lotta street races)
..2 years in I stuffed a 426 wedge under the hood usin 11:1 compression and found an inline dual carb manifold off a 413 ..I put two 625cfm carter AFB's on it and used the originial baseplate under the 'Coyote Duster' top plate.. if you looked at it it looked like a stock 383 'cept for the headers ..

-evil grin-

..I ran 4:30 gears behind the 4-speed .. and I never lost to a Mustang anything.
They were similar to corvettes of the era .. if they had horsepower, they had no traction (there weren't any street tires sticky enough to hook 'em).
If they hooked up it meant they had no horsepower to stave off the top end charge the Road Runner would put on 'em :) And if they had no posi .. it was *embarrasing* what I would do to them.

-GE aka Frank

back then it meant somethign if you drove a mopar. it means something now too.....it just doesn't mean anything good now.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2011, 07:33:05 PM »
Not sure it is a job thing.  I know a lot of hot rod owners who live very minimalistic lives.  They live to put the next best part on their car.  They are the American hot rodders.

I recall one morning at a Cobra breakfast gathering we were sitting and talking, enjoying the breakfast.  Then this guy walks up and starts ranting, "Do you have any idea of the resources you guys waste and the damage to the environment you are doing with those cars!?!!?"

We looked at each other and started laughing (about 16 of us).  Then one of our guys turns to the ranter and says, "I think the only damage might be the broken nose you are about to suffer if you do not leave us be."  Immediately, everyone at the tables turns to look at this ranter.

He quietly backed away.  We started laughing again.

Yes, the Cobra is as about environmentally friendly as a range fire, but from my perspective it represents something we should not just throw away.  Some of you will know what I mean.

Well, that guy who threatened violence is nothing more than a bully- his opinion is moot if not utterly untenable.  As for something that we (as humanity, I presume) should not just throw away, that is debatable.  I do not think that racing cars at high speeds does much to advance technology for the masses.

I may be wrong, if I am, go ahead and prove it.  :salute

-Penguin

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »
Speaking as a Nissan fan, (but still someone who appreciates fast cars wherever they're made), I think the best baseline for comparison of speed and handling is Nurburgring laptimes.

I went and had a look expecting the GTR to be faster than the US Muscle, only to find that they're very similar on times (GTR's best lap was semi-wet), the difference over the 12.9 miles was about 2 secs,

Dodge Viper ACR (2009), 7:22.1, Nissan GT-R (2011), 7:24.22.

I also don't think the latest GTR is as pretty as the older ones, one day I'm hoping to pick up an R32 GTR.

Steely
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2011, 08:15:32 PM »
Well, that guy who threatened violence is nothing more than a bully- his opinion is moot if not utterly untenable.  As for something that we (as humanity, I presume) should not just throw away, that is debatable.  I do not think that racing cars at high speeds does much to advance technology for the masses.

I may be wrong, if I am, go ahead and prove it.  :salute

-Penguin

Theres a reason why various car manufactures have factory race teams, its to research and develop parts for better reliability and durability, making safer cars and trucks for the roads we drive today
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 08:22:11 PM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2011, 09:01:47 PM »
Well, that guy who threatened violence is nothing more than a bully- his opinion is moot if not utterly untenable.  As for something that we (as humanity, I presume) should not just throw away, that is debatable.  I do not think that racing cars at high speeds does much to advance technology for the masses.

I may be wrong, if I am, go ahead and prove it.  :salute

-Penguin

you are wrong.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"